1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Husquvarna still or Ecco

Discussion in 'Forestry Operations' started by Tbrown3998, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Tbrown3998

Tbrown3998 New Member

I know most of you will sawy neck and neck 50/50 but I'm one of those people who need to be reassured so I can get the best product. I run a smal logging business and am thinking about buying another chainsaw. I currently have husquvarna 450 and it's great but I haven't got to experiment with Stihl or Ecco so if you could be if so helpful to tell me what you prefure and why that would be great Stihl husquvarna Ecco thanks

2. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

I can't say about Ecco, but Husqvarna and Stihl both have professional grade saws that are a step up in every regard from their "homeowner" grade saws like the 450.

The Husqvarna professional grades saws are mostly XP, and about double the price of the similar homeowner saw. Stihl does the same thing, but as far as I know you have to look it up to see which are professional saws, or look at the price:D

3. moriboy

moriboy Well-Known Member

Machine shop owner
    Husky and Stihl are both popular around here with loggers. Echo seems to be popular with commercial tree trimming contractors.
    Having owned all three brands, I like Stihl's pro line over the others. Big reason is that we have a good dealer close.

4. MutsMachines

MutsMachines Well-Known Member

railroad worker
    husquvarna. nothing else

5. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

That doesn't fly. Why? I'll put my MS440 Mag against ANY Husky. Hands down. I can't stand the low torque of the Huskys. Every one I've ran you have to get it wound tight to maintain a load.

6. Oxbow

Oxbow Senior Member

I don't know, but my Stihl 056 from the late 70's still cuts well.

td25c likes this.
  7. Nige

Nige Senior Member

If you're talking pro saws I'd go Stihl.
    Homeowner saws then it'd be a toss-up between Stihl & Husqvarna.

I still have a Stihl 064 from the same era and I know I could put it up against anything "modern" and it wouldn't disgrace itself.

td25c likes this.
  8. dist3

dist3 Well-Known Member

Equipment Manager Enviromental and Site Contractor
    Ill second that on the 064. Best saw I ever owned

9. GregsHD

GregsHD Senior Member

Self Employed HD Mechanic
    I think all new saws are choked out from the factory (at least in North America) all are tuned to be emission compliant.... Modify and open up the muffler, bit of porting and carb work and you've got something to talk about. Most powerful saws I ever had were an old 2101XP Husky (no chain brake, auto chain oiler with thumb pump for an extra shot when you need it) and my old 3120XP Husky. Both were just pure torque monsters. My current firewood saws are a 365 special Husky, good little all round saw, haven't played with it yet and does lack bottom end power, my old 61 had more all round power and felt lighter... And i've got a MS260 Stihl, lighter then the Husky but more fragile feeling also I hate the goofy all in one plastic choke kill switch Stihl's have.... Feels like it's gonna break every time I use it but the simple kill switch just broke on the 365 Husky so go figure:beatsme I think any brand professional grade saw will serve one well as long as it's well cared for. Where I grew up on Vancouver Island in the 80's, damn near all the fallers ran Huskys, there is a saw shop (Walkers) in Nanaimo who used to custom build/tune (they might still?) saws for loggers, they called them Walkerized once they built them up and you could tell from a mile away that they were not your average saw anymore! :cool2

10. GregsHD

GregsHD Senior Member

Self Employed HD Mechanic
    I had an 066 Stihl at one point as well, it had a great power/weight ratio and was a good reliable saw, should have never sold it....

11. Plebeian

Plebeian Senior Member

It depends on the type of wood you cut, global location etc. What brand of saws get the best service in your area?
    If you can find a genuine Stihl MS660 - a good basic saw. Otherwise Husqvarna while the other electronic saws evolve.

12. TimberjackTim

TimberjackTim Member

That kind of question will generate a certain level of cheerleading from some.

But to try to be objective. Both Husky and Stihl have a good reputation. The differences are slight and choice would come down to personal preference. Go on dealer. And btw, don't forget Jonsered.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  13. Steve Frazier

Steve Frazier Founder

I can't comment on other brands but I've been using Stihl products for 30+ years and have never been disappointed. The machine can sit for months and will start with one or two pulls even with this junk gas available today.

td25c likes this.
  14. Rajbir Lorriet

Rajbir Lorriet Active Member

Manager
    I am on first one @Husquvarna. Love it so far.

15. Orest Anhel

Orest Anhel New Member

I love my Husky 266XP and my Stihl 026. My Echo 35 is a great trail saw that can do an amazing amount of work for its size.

16. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    I have used Jonsered for the last 30 years in my hobby logging. Husky and Jonsered come out of the same factory. Just different skin applied. We always have had a reliable local Jonsered dealer that made the choice easy. On another note every time I get nostalgic and start up one of my 30 year old saws of any brand I really notice how bad the vibration is that was prevalent in them old power houses. No wonder my hands hurt today. I'm sure much of it comes from running them all day back when we logged full time and cut everything by hand.

td25c likes this.
  17. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    The vast majority of mine are Stihl mainly due to the dealer here. He has since retired and there’s another dealer that has both. Plus my custom guy usually gets Stihl stuff. My biggest saw is an old school Husky 2100 and it’ll work your a$$ off but when you need it, you need it.

My fav is a 440 Stihl with a 460 top end. A little smaller and lighter but has plenty of power. The saltiest one I have is a 461 that’s been ported and squished. It’ll run a 25” bar like nothin and it’s well balanced. Runs a 30” great but it’s a little off kilter. Usually I leave the 30” on the 660 which has been tweaked too. I am saw poor! It’s an affliction I tell ya!

18. ianjoub

ianjoub Senior Member

Husqvarna all day, every day. They run higher RPM but less torque than Stihl. The vibration reduction from their mounting system makes a huge difference.

19. td25c

td25c Senior Member

We have a great Stihl dealer close to home . Carry allot of parts & product on hand .

My favorite chain saw is the " Farm Boss " with 20" bar . Fairly light & easy to handle . Good all around saw to pack around for tasks .

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/farm-and-ranch-saws/ms271/

Also use a Stihl pole saw . It's sure handy for trimming tree limbs .

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/pole-pruners/professional-pole-pruners/ht250/

As a feller gets older he likes to set in the seat and work the throttle & levers . Favorite tree hacker hands down is a Rome K/G blade .

Hit the tree at about 1,800 RPM . LOL! :D 100_3667[1].JPG

aighead and mikebramel like this.
  20. Randy88

Randy88 Senior Member

Buy whatever brand you have good service and parts from, the best saw in the world still needs to be fixed, for me its Stihl, hands down due to the dealer.

Wytruckwrench and td25c like this.