• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Humble advise needed

Seabass

Going to a job that has scrapers. Never touched one or sat in the seat, I believe they are Cat 627 and 637?? Ive run equipment but have no idea about scrapers other than youtube!:D Any and all tips welcome on how to run these suckers..

johnhenryrolf

Occupation
equipment operator (Coffey County, KS)
Up, down, left, right...good eye, good feel in your butt, if it starts to go over-turn 'er downhill and plant a foot in it! Start out slow, don't flat-foot the foot feet when you cut. Don't use the rear engine when you are going to turn. Stagger your cuts (if you are able to), in other words; don't cut in the same line every time...try and move from one side to the other (I like to use "tire tracks" as a guide) make a cut then next pass either put your left tire where your right tire was, or put your left tire right beside where your right tire was. Depending on model letter of the machines, they may have automatic transmissions, you'll have to check that out. Cut downhill when you can, I'm sure there's ALOT more that I'm forgetting, the main thing is don't let you get yourself into trouble, and just when you think you got it-you've got ALOT more to learn. Other than that, time and fuel will tell if you're destined to run them! Good luck, don't hesitate to reply!

Aussie Leroy

Always remember keep your right hand on the bowl lever, and if it all turns to sh*t remember when in doubt right hand out !!!,(drop the bowl) Be Safe Leroy

kevin37b

Occupation
Operator #841
Set the cutting in and see what it feels like . If it stops moving , pick it up it up a little bit and load what you can . Ihave watched many videos , and operators pull up to the cut drop the edge and just sit , waiting on a push . That absolutely CHAPS my ass when the push is busy . It's like they are waiting on mommy . KEEP MOVING . SO. CAL has a few good vids. on scrapers and Isaw 2 AND ONLY2 that were worth their keep . The rest of them dropped the bowl , and called mommy .

terexkerry

a great book is one from the author of moving the earth called heavy equipment operation,a section covers scrapers,but you can read as much as you like,you have got to want to operate one.ask,ask and ask again old hands and pusher guys how they want ther cut worked,they get very upset.keep watching,scraper operators either have it or do not,good luck,kerry

johnhenryrolf

Occupation
equipment operator (Coffey County, KS)
Hooking up is also soooo much easier when the scraper is still moving. When I'm pushing, I just about pull my hair out when the scraper hand "calls for mommy"!