• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Htc1170

John Griffin

We currently have two tms300s that we use for tree work. Were thinking about buying a larger crane as we are right at the limit of height and reach with our cranes dealing with some of the larger trees around here. We rent an htc8670 fairly regularly. It's extra capacity and reach are really nice. We only have one rental outfit with a crane this size in our area. They are constantly two weeks behind or more. This of course doesn't work well for us when trees are laying on houses.

Due to cost since we can't fit it in everywhere around here, I'm looking at the htc1170 model. Any major problems with them? We have a pretty serious repair shop but still don't want to be doing a bunch of stuff that's outside of regular maintenance and repairs.

We also have a good grove dealer and would consider a grove of similar specs if I can find one in budget.

crane operator

I think the htc 1170 are a 11' wide carrier running 14.00r20 rubber. Non removable counterweight. They are hard to scale legal even with a boom dolly (heavy). They are heavy and wide- hope you've got wide roads everywhere and don't plan on getting in any residential areas. :)

I don't think they are all full power main- I think they use a power pin section. There aren't a lot of them out there either.

I would probably look for something different. The 8670 are a whole different crane than what the 1170 is. 8' carrier and only 24' wide with common rubber.

John Griffin

Thanks for the heads up on the carrier width. That kills it for us. I've found load charts but hadn't seen carrier specs. The crane I was interested in is not local to us. Maybe I'll save up for an 8670 or something similar from grove. One of the local rental outfits runs around with the at least some of the counterweight on their 8670 and doesn't have any trouble weight wise.

We definitely need something bigger than our tms300s. Both of them have the dead stick for 104' boom. We looked at a poplar tree for a customer last week that needs to be removed and is 130' tall. Pretty hard to get above it with a 136' boom/ jib.

Last edited:

crane operator

The 1170 usually sell really cheap, because they are such a big carrier for no bigger crane than it is. Its just not a very handy machine, and that's why they are usually cheap.

John Griffin

Yeah these are not what I'd consider really cheap. I'll move on to looking at something else. We've been pretty happy with the performance of the htc8670. The one we rent has a power pin section on a 115 main.