• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

HOWARD ROTOVATOR

ffffredddd

I just picked up a used Howard rotovator the pins for the 3 pt hitch do not seem to be right, the drive shaft does not line up straight with the tractor PTO, and both pins point the same direction. one inside and one outside.is this normal? im still trying to free up the PTO shaft, it appears they may have been allowing the coupler to slide on the shaft the which only gave about 2" of movement.
I cant read the model number
it is 60 inches wide,anyone know the horsepower requirments

Delmer

No, the three point pins will typically point out for a class II three point with the 1 1/8" pins, or point in for class I with 7/8" pins. You can use bushings for class I pins with class II arms also.

Not unusual to need to use a ratchet strap to pull apart a PTO shaft. If you're pretty sure it's just jammed, then hook the implement to something solid, and pull the shaft out with a ratchet strap through the U joint. Then get it cleaned up, or oiled up enough to slide freely, so it doesn't ruin the pto or gearbox. Not unusual to have to straighten a pto shaft either.

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
I would say 60+hp to run it. depends on the ground as well. the pto shaft was probably disconected once before the rotavator was placed on the ground and it will have jammed up/bent as it was lowered, I used to unpin leave the pto shaft attached and drive forward so it disconnected then put the pto ontop of the machine, that way i never made that silly mistake.

Welder Dave

Really late to this thread but Cat. 1 usually has the pins pointing out. Some pics. would be a big help. Someone may have tried to side shift it to cover the tractor tire. If it's an original Howard Rotavator, it is built heavy and 10 times the tiller of newer machines. If original it will be a model P or a model E. They used to say 10HP/ft. on the original Howards.

Delmer

yes, I don't know what I was thinking, other than if I saw two pins pointing the same direction, I'd think that the implement was supposed to have both, and the cat 1 would be smaller and narrower so on the inside of a frame with the cat 2 on the outside.

Welder Dave

Some implements can be set up for Cat. 1 and Cat. 2 3 pt's. I'm sure some of the Howards were.

ffffredddd

AF1QipN6OBsLcT8IEOlZ2uqW8z4raFi-oYLz9ZfHQOX2
AF1QipMeNJUnwn-ywee9m7EBOQ9nz6-v7m5LhtmJggv7
I just picked up a used Howard rotovator the pins for the 3 pt hitch do not seem to be right, the drive shaft does not line up straight with the tractor PTO, and both pins point the same direction. one inside and one outside.is this normal? im still trying to free up the PTO shaft, it appears they may have been allowing the coupler to slide on the shaft the which only gave about 2" of movement.
I cant read the model number
it is 60 inches wide,anyone know the horsepower requirments
Really late to this thread but Cat. 1 usually has the pins pointing out. Some pics. would be a big help. Someone may have tried to side shift it to cover the tractor tire. If it's an original Howard Rotavator, it is built heavy and 10 times the tiller of newer machines. If original it will be a model P or a model E. They used to say 10HP/ft. on the original Howards.

ffffredddd

not sure if I downloaded pictures right, I put both pins out and ran it that way. it is centered behind the tractor which leaves half of both wheels untilled, the pto shaft is not in line. next year I plan to move both pins to the offset right attachment points, PTO shaft will be out of line on the opposite side. the mounting points are either too wide or too narrow to center on the tractor PTO. if the pictures come through you can see someone has done some welding and restructuring of the mount.