1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

how to tie down excavator

Discussion in 'Equipment Moving Questions' started by eianewb, Aug 15, 2009.

1. eianewb

eianewb Well-Known Member

so i am still new to all this. i loaded my excavator on my trailer for the first time the other day and couldnt figure out a real good way to chain it down. i have seen binders go right from the trailer to a pad, but i am a lil leary of that as you would only have the pad bolts holding everything, but i cant make a straight shot from the holes in the carbody to the D rings. i have also saw (on a mini ex) the chains running thru the tracks, between the frame and the track, and straight down to the D rings, but my tracks overhang the trailer by 4" on each side so i dont think that would work for me.

just wondering what you all do, and if you had any pics it would be great, so i am not confused like you prolly are now after reading my descriptions, lol. :D

thanks

2. eianewb

eianewb Well-Known Member

thanks for all the help guys, lol :)

altho i guess if i would a read down a few more posts i coulda answered some of my own questions. :pointhead

3. tonka

tonka Senior Member

Equipment Operator
    1st question i got is how big id your excavator....

oh and you don't tie it down you chain it down.....

and here's how i'd do it, not backed up on the neck of the jeep, but the tracks on your deck, and the binder and chains this way

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  4. handtpipeline

handtpipeline Well-Known Member

Utility Contractor
    I don't have any close-up pics of it, but we've done it this way for as long as I can remember. The only piece of equipment I don't cross chain is backhoes usually. If I'm just going a few miles, sometimes i'll go from the inside of the track to the trailer on the dozers, but if I already have the chains out, i'll cross chain even then. We've been stopped by DOT with them both ways, and never had the method of securement questioned.

Attached Files:

5. OCR

OCR Senior Member

Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
    how to tie down excavator:

Same way... excavator.
    DSCF0568.jpg
    DSCF0567.jpg

Same method for dozer, too. Never had a problem.

OCR

Onassis91 likes this.
  6. Oversizeload

Oversizeload Member

Do you have the 345 over the jeep the get the height down or get more weight towards the tractor and jeep? I think it the later cause the cab of the excavator has to pretty high the way its sitting.

7. -NICK-

-NICK- Well-Known Member

Driver
    Hey Tonka I got a trailer just like that ;)I saw a guy have an excavator slide off the other day.What ever you do make sure you are even on both sides,and maybe A couple extra chains just in case.trust me It got my attention.

8. -NICK-

-NICK- Well-Known Member

Driver
    Its to get the weight towards the jeep and tractor.Otherwise you overweigh the trailer axles.The way it is with the stack taken off its just under14'.

9. theother7axle

theother7axle New Member

tonka has it right.though california laws are messing with us recently!they(DOT) want half the machines weight in chains/binders holding the machine down.other than that BS ,5 binders will do for most excavators.chaining from the tracks seems universal.

10. KAC1023

KAC1023 New Member

I just came across this site by searching the name of the crane Co with the flipped crane through the concrete deck in Australia. I drive a low deck in the Bx., for the smaller Excavators (PC138's and 75's we have) I go through the tracks, up through the foot steps on the side. I then use a ratchet between the tracks under the cab to take up slack. it sucks cause you get dirty, under the cab and your in a awkward position when you do it. As far as bigger machines with overhang I go from the track directly to the lip on the side of the deck for all four corners and then toss one across the bucket.

11. powerjoke

powerjoke Senior Member

owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
    Dont have any pics of my bigger machines boomed down but, in MO the track's are NOT considered an integral part of the frame and DOES NOT count at all! so, we have to chain to upper and lower with at least 50% of machine weight in working load of chain.

and on any digging machine there has to be at least one chain and boomer on the hydraulic shovel part of any machine (but not dozer's)

oh' and if a chain doesn't have a boomer on it, it does not count at all. So no more throwing a chain on something and backing up to tighten and calling it good.

Trust me, we get hassled all the time......even with an EMPTY lowboy :roll eyes: and it's not just us, if you do any work at all around here they'll screw with you 3-4 times per year

we wont even talk about how many chains they want to see on a articulated peice of iron :eek: lol

Pj

Attached Files:

12. Cretebaby

Cretebaby Senior Member

Isn't that a federal requirement?

13. OCR

OCR Senior Member

Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
    how to tie down excavator:

I've wondered about that, myself... must be ok in Montana though??

Lol... and when the guy sees that last picture.......

That was the guy???... lol

OCR... :D

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  14. gumper

gumper Well-Known Member

Here's how we do it....4 ratchet binders , one at each end of the track, from the inside of the track to the edge of the trailer. Then a chain and binder over the bucket and another over the front blade. Never even been stopped so far. The machine never seems to move on the trailer.

Would this be legal in NY/NJ? I know the local HE dealer does the same with their machines....

Attached Files:

15. powerjoke

powerjoke Senior Member

owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
    I would guess it would make your front axle a little heavy?

OCR: yeah thats the ASS that is always bothering me,.....here we are with an EMPTY lowboy lol

Pj

Attached Files:

• adot.jpg
      adot.jpg
      File size:
      53.2 KB
      Views:
  16. ontrac

ontrac Well-Known Member

I was stopped by the DOT and he said that I had to chain it and not use the tracks. That is not how the Law reads. If it has factory tie downs they must be used. If not the outward most attach point. I see ratchet boomers on tracks everywhere, it is better than any other method I have used. Also the chain must go from one side to the other to get full weight credit, if not only half. So if you go to the machine with a chain and back you only get half the weight of the chain (if marked). Unmarked chains get the lowest rating. Makes it tough if hauling anything over 25k.

17. nedly05

nedly05 Senior Member

I've been through DOT with binders on the tracks in 4 corners, they said it was fine, as long as I had 4 points and one at the bucket he was happy.

18. gr79

gr79 Well-Known Member

19. Colorado Digger

Colorado Digger Senior Member

chaining em' down

here is how i do it

Attached Files:

Onassis91 likes this.
  20. Chris5500

Chris5500 Well-Known Member

Plant Mechanic
    Here's how not to chain down your excavator, note the size of the chains used :eek: (Only got the best part of 540 ton to secure to the module)

"Oops, she slipped!"

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      57 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      60.3 KB
      Views: