1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

How to tell a float capacity

Discussion in 'Equipment Moving Questions' started by greerco, Jan 8, 2020.

1. greerco

greerco Active Member

Hi i recently acquired an old float. There is no VIN # on it. I know its made by JC because JC is cut into the steel plating. I was told its a 60T float. Is there any way i can confirm the capacity?

Thanks

2. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Maybe try posting a photo of it. Someone may recognize it.

3. greerco

greerco Active Member

Here are some pics of it.... as you can see the spot where the VIN #plate would be is missing 20200110_145856.jpg 20200110_145915.jpg

DMiller likes this.
  4. truckdoctor

truckdoctor Well-Known Member

mechanic
    Check the frame. If there are just the outer frame rails on the deck then its probably a 40T. If it has four rails, two on the outside of the deck and two down the center then it's probably 50T or 60T. Thats not a hard and fast rule but it's fairly common. If they haven't rusted off, check the axle tags for weight capacity. That may help as well.

DMiller likes this.
  5. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

Neck sure looks like a Rogers detach to me. Its a tri axle, so you know it isn't only a 30-35 ton, then it would be just a tandem. Most 60+ ton trailers have a lot heavier neck area, and a way to pin on more axles. So its probably around a 45-55 ton trailer.

DMiller likes this.
  6. greerco

greerco Active Member

Where i use to work we had a similar float...it was a 35t... the 60T its claimed to be seems wrong

DMiller likes this.
  7. Nige

Nige Senior Member

There are quite a few images of Rogers lowboy trailers on Google. Maybe try to find one that looks similar..?
    I agree that looking at the photos there appears to be no way it's designed for 60t.

DMiller likes this.
  8. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    Appears to at least have tubeless rubber on the trailer Right Hand side outers. 17.5s maybe on the old Webb Dayton hubs, tires G rated are 4400lbs Each H rated are 4800lbs each averaging sets the trailer at less than 30T trailer axles capacity, then add the capacity of tractor drives at 10-14t max out at around 40t unless use a tractor drop axle, trailer Jeep and or Joe Dog.

Tenwheeler and Ronsii like this.
  9. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    Look between the wheels, standard stamped Hutch equalizers on some weird pylon mount for under axle springs. I say 40T max.

DMiller likes this.
  10. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    RZ, maybe I am seeing things, lower photo of the trailer, can just see the axle 2 to 3 suspension. Doesn't that appear to be a REYCO Rocker and support? Does not appear to have the suspension would consider it should. Does Not appear to be Hutch.

11. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    On my end it looks like the outline of a Hutch equalizer but it is pretty fuzzy. A better pic would help.

DMiller likes this.