• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How to stop tools from rusting

komatsukid

Occupation
loader operator/plant forman
Hi all, I'm a feild mechanic based in northern Michigan. How do you mobile guys stop your tools from rusting especially tools like impact sockets and industrial finish tools? Thanks

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I pretty much just accept it. Had a truck with a heated body once and it was great because you’d never pick up a cold wrench but once you shut the truck off condensation would turn everything that wasn’t chrome to rust.

Vetech63

It’s difficult to stop in high humidity areas. I try to wipe my stuff down as often as time allows.

Hobbytime

just get a spray bottle and fill with clean #2 oil and every once in a while spray them down, you can wipe them off or just let the oil sit on them...whats good about that is all your channel locks or adjustable stuff will move freely..and its cheap to use #2

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I used to leave the hydraulic oil on them. I picked everything up with a rag in my hand. Now days I just don't care as much.

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
The LPS product number 3 is about $20 per can. Shake it and do that again. A thin film such as one would accomplish with WD40 will look similar but once the LPS3 dries will leave a thin kind of waxy film. No rusting. Cleans off easily and readily with some WD40.

Excellent to spray on chrome hydraulic rams that may have nicks which lead to rusted areas that eat seals. Prior to starting the tractor, wipe with a rag. Repeat when tractor parked.

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
I used the cheap industrial carpet to line the drawers of my road box. Soaked up enough oil/wd40 over time that it would leave a nice film on impact sockets.

Besides that, just wiping stuff down with a rag and some used oil.

walkerv

I only wipe heavy crud and oil of my tools pretty much leave them dirty. But even at that some little used stuff gets rusty sometimes

Jonas302

Could try one of the vci drawer liners and compare I like fluid film spray especially for adjustable wrenches and such I am always working on salt trucks so I get plenty of rust no matter what I do

mitch504

Could try one of the vci drawer liners and compare I like fluid film spray especially for adjustable wrenches and such I am always working on salt trucks so I get plenty of rust no matter what I do
I hear ya, fertilizer spreaders, and salt water for me

walkerv

I only wipe heavy crud and oil of my tools pretty much leave them dirty. But even at that some little used stuff gets rusty sometimes
Quick edit now that i cant edit i do clean my tools when im working on engine internals , bit thats it i lightly wipe the 15w40 off them and toss back in truck. Only thing i actually clean of are my feeler guages and then spray down with pb blaster found leaving the oil on them sometimes makes them unreadable

Road Wrench

Occupation
Mobile Repair
I use "Fluid Film", and purchase it in the gallon cans. I've watched tons of testing videos comparing it to other anti-corrosives, penetrating oils, motor oil, etc, when subjected to salt spray etc. Store it in a warm place, and use a paint mixer in a drill to thoroughly turn it to runny butterscotch pudding. I take a aerosol can lid, like from brake/carb cleaner and fill it with fluid film. A 1 inch paint brush works great to dip into the cap and brush onto your tools then using the same rag for all wipe the tools down leaving a nice shiny film inside and out. After awhile the rag has enough fluid film to wipe down several tools leaving a film. It NEVER dries or disappears. It's especially critical to do this with kits in plastic molded cases as they will form hideous rust quickly if not protected. I've been doing it this way with fluid film for a few years after having great results protecting trucks from rusting with it.
I also use the Zerust rolls of drawer liner in my toolboxes and it works very well for several years, but eventually loses effectiveness. Sometimes find the rolls at Tractor Supply in the bargain bins.

Last edited: