• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How to repair Case 580B rim with rust around valve stem? (Pics to see)

1968 Case 580CK

Ladies and Gentlemen......and expert rim/tire guys:

As you can see in these pictures, I have two old 1968 580B CK rims which are in good shape except for rust-out around the valve stems. Do "they" make a metal patch that will fit over the contours of the rim which can be welded in place? Then, just drill the right size hole for the new tire tube valve stem? If not, any suggestions as to the best way to do a repair on these rust spots?

April 2015 Case Repairs 676.jpg

April 2015 Case Repairs 679.jpg

Thanks!

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Any one with some welding ability should be able to fabricate & weld a patch onto that.
*** FOR SAFETY - THE TYRE MUST BE REMOVED TO DO THE JOB**** - they tend to explode & kill people if you don't :yup

1968 Case 580CK

Alrman......Thanks for the reply. I was just doing some searching on the net, and I found a safety demo of what happens when you apply heat to a rim and tire. That sucker heats up FAST and then KA-BOOOOOOM!!!! Were not talking heating for 5-10 minutes, but a chemical process occurs in the rubber that only takes seconds for it to heat up from room temp to over 1500 degrees. A couple guys knew about this, and they took the valve stem out, and even de-mounted the tire from the rim....but left the rim inside the tire, thinking they could then weld on the rim. Bad call......the chemical process started and within seconds, the tire got hot and remounted to the rim and then Ka-BOOOOOM! (One guy was killed). So, gotta take the tire off the rim first. Besides, I will need to sand/deburr the inside of the rim, and paint it, or even add a rubber liner to protect the new tube.

Blueboy

Occupation
Machinist. God bless America ! ! !
Grind out the thin crap and weld a patch over it on the outside. Start from the center, work your way out towards the lip using a torch to get the patch metal cherry red and hammer it into shape. Grind the inside smooth and cement a rubber patch over the whole area. Put a new hole several inches away. Hit it with a paint bomb and your done.

1968 Case 580CK

Alrman.......By the way, these tires have been on the rims for at least 30 years.....can you believe these old tubes have not yet surrendered to the sharp, rusty edges of the rim? They "take a licken, and keep on ticken".

Hey, you think this tire looks willing and able to go another 10-20 years? Or is it time to open the wallet and replace?
April 2015 Case Repairs 678.jpg

1968 Case 580CK

Blueboy......thanks for the input. Good idea about getting the metal patch cherry red, and then hammering it to match the rim shape. The rubber patch on the inside is a great idea too! I will get the tires demounted and then do the welding.....and time for a complete re-work of the inner rim also, before putting a fresh tube and tire on.

wrangler

Why not drill a new hole in the better part of the rim for the stem.Then close the old rotten area of with a patch.You may have to heat the area around the new hole and put in a dimple if the old hole was a bit proud.If you weld a patch on the outside you can then fill the inside with weld and grind to profile

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Alrman.......By the way, these tires have been on the rims for at least 30 years.....can you believe these old tubes have not yet surrendered to the sharp, rusty edges of the rim? They "take a licken, and keep on ticken".

Hey, you think this tire looks willing and able to go another 10-20 years? Or is it time to open the wallet and replace?
View attachment 134981

Just a suggestion I'll send you my contact information so you can name me as a beneficiary on your life insurance policy before you put air in that tire or even walk near it!

1968 Case 580CK

Just a suggestion I'll send you my contact information so you can name me as a beneficiary on your life insurance policy before you put air in that tire or even walk near it!

As Moe would say, "A wise guy, huh?" Ready for the Moe eye poke? Ha ha.....ok, I will put you in my will and leave you the ole 1968 580CK with alot more patch work to be done. (Maybe I should at least get some use out of her, and go ahead and dig me a hole 6 foot deep by 6 feet long)

1968 Case 580CK

wrangler.......good tips from you and the others.....Im thinking a new hole is the best, and then just a flat metal weld patch to cover the rot. Im curious to see how rust the inside of the rim is. You think they would put calcium fluid in backhoe tires? Surely, extra weight isnt needed with that 3500lb hoe on the back.

Delmer

If they had put calcium in those tires then the rims would never look as good as they do. I wouldn't hesitate to use those tires and tubes one bit, assuming you're not driving it on the road much, near people etc.

Can you still get good tubes these days? It seems like the new ones I've bought from China or Korea don't last like the old ones I take out.

1968 Case 580CK

If they had put calcium in those tires then the rims would never look as good as they do. I wouldn't hesitate to use those tires and tubes one bit, assuming you're not driving it on the road much, near people etc.

Can you still get good tubes these days? It seems like the new ones I've bought from China or Korea don't last like the old ones I take out.

Delmer......The rubber is pretty worn out, and those deep cracks are scarey looking......I would almost bet that these tires came with the tractor back in 68....I found the tire code that I want to decipher to find the date. This is just a farm-use hoe, so you are probably right......I could run these tires probably another 5 years, but you never know. Im either looking for a couple used ones and new tubes (yep, we can still get the tubes, but they cost around $50 each). New tires are about $400 each.

Good to know you think the tires never had calcium in them....Im hoping the inside of the rims look pretty good.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk! Got my hand right between my eyes for protection. Six feet by Six feet, nice little Koi Pond, then we can really say "He sleeps with the Fishes"

Really want to see how the inside of that rim looks, hoping the rust is only around the valve stem. For a limited use machine I'd be checking with local tire shops to see if they have some good used tires.

Delmer

I said GOOD tubes, I can get imported tractor tubes for $50, but I don't think they hold up as well as the USED tubes that I put back in if they can be saved. Tubes that are sometimes/often older than that tire and tube. For on road tires the date code before 2000 didn't include a decade digit, so you had the last digit of the year and the week, which isn't real helpful. I don't know if off road tires were different.

If it was me, I'd clean up the old tubes, use a dull knife to scrape off the embedded rust scale, and put them right back in. Unless you know enough to trust the brand of tube that you can get new.

1968 Case 580CK

I said GOOD tubes, I can get imported tractor tubes for $50, but I don't think they hold up as well as the USED tubes that I put back in if they can be saved. Tubes that are sometimes/often older than that tire and tube. For on road tires the date code before 2000 didn't include a decade digit, so you had the last digit of the year and the week, which isn't real helpful. I don't know if off road tires were different.

If it was me, I'd clean up the old tubes, use a dull knife to scrape off the embedded rust scale, and put them right back in. Unless you know enough to trust the brand of tube that you can get new.

Delmer......Your brilliant! I never would have thought about the quality of the old tube being better than the cheap crap they sell now-adays. Makes complete sense to me if the tube comes out and appears to be holding up good, to re-use in the replacement tires......better quality, plus I will be saving $100 on the el-cheapo tubes. Speak of old tubes, when I started restoring my old 27 Nash, I had to take the split rim tires into the shop to have some new tubes put in......they elderly man working on the tire told me he had not seen tubes that old in many years.....the color was a burnt reddish color, which was apparently the common color back in the roaring 20s/30s. The tubes had tons of old tire patches on them, and I saved them since they were so old. In those days, you never threw out a tube.....just keep adding patches.

Regarding the date code on the tires, if I see an "07", it could mean 1967....which would be right for the 1968 Case. Still a wild guess I suppose.

1968 Case 580CK

Kshansen.....Yep, I have one shop keeping their eye open for a couple good "left-overs". Might be sleepin with the sharks.