• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How to remove Bobcat teeth from bucket

Hobbytime

can you post a pic of the side of the tooth? are there any pins through the side of the tooth?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
That sure ain't no Bobcat tooth. Like Hobbytime said, need a view from the side. My first guess is a King Met tooth, but need more views to say for sure.

Not You

I forgot to mention I don't believe this is a Bobcat bucket, but I have no idea what it is. Here are a few more pics. It says Mitsubishi and something else on the bottom, I'm trying to figure out what model # it is.

photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG

Last edited:

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
Never seen a tooth with no retainer pin. May have to cut one off with the air arc or a scarfing tip to find the secret. Maybe someone here is familiar with this type.
Mike

Hobbytime

they may twist off and have some sort of rubber locking ring underneath the tooth..I would put some heat on it and give it a turn with a big wrench and see what happens..do they have any movement on the teeth to the shank they are on?

Hobbytime

did a google search and came up with this..looks like some sort of rubber pieces that hold the tooth to the shank..yours looks like the middle one..cast_02.png

Not You

I've seen that as well. It says Mitsubishi Seiko and maybe C400 on the tooth? Looks like they might be the Esco brand. There is no play in the tooth.

Hobbytime

I thinks they twist on..give it a try..nothing to lose but time, use some heat to soften the rubber piece and loosen any rust holding them..

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I can't say for sure, but those look like Esco Twist-Lok teeth. Never worked with them myself, and I've only seen them a couple of times. If they are Twist-Lok, they don't have a retainer, they twist a bit of a turn to lock. But I doubt you'd twist them to unlock them. Once those fines get built up in the void between the tooth and the adapter it's Gods Locktite, you'll probably have to burn them off with a gas axe. The problem is finding new ones, they're like trying to find hens teeth. I don't know if it's a discontinued product or what, but they're not easy to find.

BTW, post #7 above, the tooth in the middle, that's an Esco Super V, that's not what your teeth are.

Last edited:

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
If they're hard to find, either get new available teeth and adapters or build the points back up with 11018 sticks. Once they're reshaped give them a little Stoody 31 hardrod on the front edge.
Mike

Not You

I contacted the company that makes Mitsubishi Seiko Esco type teeth and showed them the pics. They were no help. Might be faster and easier to cut everything off and put Bobcat teeth on from scratch.

Delmer

Those look tight so the shanks are in fine shape. With just a little bit of skill and care you can cut one off without damaging the shank, then it will be easier to see what you have.

Another option would be to sand or grind one to a clean surface so you could see if there's any pins through it, kinda hard to tell with that much dirt and rust in the pics.

Not You

So I spent way too long trying to get them off and finally did. They have a twist style shank, I think willie59 is right on. Unfortunately, I ground just a hair too much off one of the keepers, so I decided to just have them all cut off and start over with spade teeth.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Just experience on my part. Bucket teeth do one of two things, 1) the shank is worn slap out and the tooth flops around, retainers break, teeth fall off, and 2) shanks are good, teeth fit snug, on those the dirt fines work their way in the gap between the tooth and shank. On those, you pretty much have to be the dog snot out of them to get them off. I could tell by the pics yours was the latter. On those, I take a gas ax to speed up removing them. They're worn out anyway, so no loss.

What machine are we working on? What tooth are you going to replace them with, any preferences?

Not You

I don't have a gas axe, I used a small wire wheel, a few hammers, chisels and a small torch. This bucket is on a Bobcat 322 mini excavator. I'd like to replace them with something wider, as I dig on top of pipes quite frequently and would like to minimize the damage I do to the existing pipes.

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
Since you frequently work over pipes I'll suggest buying a narrow bucket and fit it with a straight edge to minimize pipe damage.
Mike

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Since you frequently work over pipes I'll suggest buying a narrow bucket and fit it with a straight edge to minimize pipe damage.

Yep, that's an option. It would greatly help if we knew where you were other than just "USA", there's a whole lot of different strata across the USA. For example, if you're in Florida, forget the teeth altogether and just use the cutting edge on your bucket. As for teeth, a Bobcat bucket of that size typically just uses Hensley top pin teeth with a roll pin retainer, but I don't know if they're available in a wide profile.

Not You

Yep, that's an option. It would greatly help if we knew where you were other than just "USA", there's a whole lot of different strata across the USA. For example, if you're in Florida, forget the teeth altogether and just use the cutting edge on your bucket. As for teeth, a Bobcat bucket of that size typically just uses Hensley top pin teeth with a roll pin retainer, but I don't know if they're available in a wide profile.

I'm in Indiana. Teeth are a must.