• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

how to price for jobs

bjs

Occupation
lawn care speclist
i was wondering just got a ctl. jd. how do u price for a job for each attachment or is it just for the price of the machine and thats it. keep it simple or what. i have a stump grapple, root/rock rake ,tooth bucket and smooth and a rock hound and forks how do i price them for a job. im new at this and dont know. im sorry if this is a dumb question. any help would be nice thanks.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Every job has a barcode on it. you just locate the barcode, scan it in with your android app for earthmoving and done. Shows a list of all materials necessary to complete, estimated time & everything.

Barcode is located directly to the left of the last shovel full of dirt that needs moved.

Trout Creek

I have had people charge for machine hours one rate and man hours at another. Didn't matter what the man was was doing as long as he was on the job the clock was running. i.e. Man hours are $50/hr and Machine at $100. If the man is working the machine you are billing at $150/hr. I have also had people bid the job. As a comsumer I like this method. As a contractor I like the other. I have also had people charge for move-in costs if the job was small and would not justify the expence of moving equipment.

I would really think it depends on the situation.

Hope this helps a little.

Hendrik

I think you should have a base rate for the bare machine (work out the operating cost per hour, double that and add your wages) and then add on the cost of the attachment.
Some attachments cost more both to purchase and maintain, some are also harder on the machine.
Say you got a job working in rock, that's going to be harder on the machine than working on nice soft loamy earth.
You also gotta consider what the competition is charging, your experience on a CTL is a factor, as well as the size of the machine.
There really is not a figure that can just be advised over the internet.

WV earth mover

better be carefull it took me about 5 yrs or so to fully realize the aditional cost of attachments things like trenchers hammers and rockhounds can sometimes seem to cost as much to own as the machine itself one way to get an idea is to call rental company and price a ctl with a particular attachment on it then add what you want for operating it you will probably learn that it cost more than think rental prices are good to know anyway in case you find yourself defending your prices to a tight costumer

cat943

Occupation
loader and excavator operator
I generally price for the job at hand I don’t give an hourly rate just the up front price I base that figure on what attachments I will use and the time it would take to do the job. The downfall of pricing that way is you have to know your equipment and the jobs you can do but only experience will teach you that.

For leaning you as some have said charge the base rate on the machine a rate on your labour as an operator and rate for the attachments.

For cost it would work out like this base machine (this is based on an hourly rate) machine $100 labour $50 that’s $150 for the base rate that you charge
Attachments forks $20 hammer $50 $ bucket $20 and so on
If you work in rock change a rock removal fee per meter on top of the hammer change as the machine will wear a lot faster in rock than it will in dirt and I have seen it over the years people get burnt doing rock work by under charging…