• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How to prepare for Apprenticeship

Ifonly

I was accepted into a nearby Local's Apprenticeship Program, and was looking for insight on what to expect. Any advice or tips ? What to focus on? What NOT to do?

I've been told to try getting certified on specialty type equipment (Cranes, Pipeline, GPS etc.) will yield more steady work at better pay. Would you guys agree? Do I really have a choice in the matter? Is it worth limiting myself so early on?

I have 2 years' experience operating at a concrete recycling facility (Excavators, Loaders, Backhoes, Forklifts etc.), but have not had any formal training nor done any road work.

I'd greatly appreciate any input, thanks.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
Not knowing where you are, if I told you I knew how to answer your question I'd be lying. For now, just report to school when they tell you to, pay attention, and keep your head in the game.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Take any job they offer you, period. I got in as a dirt apprentice and took a job as an oiler and finished my apprenticeship on the hoisting side of the business on a tunnel job. The rub lies in the fact that I've been out of the dirt game and that's what I'd like to get back to, we'll see if I can rustle up a dirt job or continue to chase the tunnel/hoisting/specialty work. Money wise, hoisting is better but that is really subjective to where you are. Here in Seattle, dirt crews go real lean in the winter but they never really completely stop so it's possible after a few seasons with one outfit, you could potentially work through the winter. Hoisting is pretty much year round, lots of hours, hourly wage is only a couple bucks difference between most dirt gear and cranes.

Blmreject

Occupation
mobile crane op IUOE Local 701
Don't go in thinking you know what you are doing, that goes double if you really do know. This field is full of guys that know everything, at least they think they do.

One of my big mistakes was pointing out some rather obvious mistakes to the guys showing me the ropes. Some that were proven wrong later, some that weren't. I'm not trying to talk myself up, it's not that i was even right. Having some damn punk come in and tell you how to do your job is infuriating.

Remember, you are there to learn. Even the wrong way, as long as you realize it, can be a lesson. There's plenty career ahead of you to change how it's done. If you get labeled a smart arse or a know it all, no one will take the time to teach you.

Don't talk smack, fun is fun but don't talk bad about those you don't like. It makes you look bad to those you are talking to.

Now on a brighter note, try and see the next two steps before you have to make it. Concentrate on the task at hand but be prepared for the next. If it's getting extra tools out early or working in a direction that may not be obvious at first to set yourself up for the next thing. Moving a truck while you're getting stakes so the machine can move through the area without stopping.

Leave the house early, just get use to drinking coffee in the car before work. You can't afford to be late no matter what. Car trouble, traffic an alarm not going off. It won't matter, you are late. If you can't be trusted to show up as an apprentice, it's over.

Finally, take better care of the equipment than you do your own things. Don't think of it as a work truck or an old crane, it's expensive. Don't let the chains drag over the paint, wipe down the Cab, pull the trash even if it's not yours. Go the extra step. People will notice.

Ifonly

Thank you for the responses.

Be Early, Be Quiet, Work Smart, and Maintain the equipment. Sounds like a good strategy to me.

As far as my location I don't feel comfortable saying more than the Northeast / Tri-State Area. So winter is a concern, current company I am with runs skeleton crew during the winter and I am expecting to be laid off for up to 3 months during apprenticeship. Of course, I hope this is not the case but I am trying to be realistic about it.

PS: Dirt Apprentice? I'm assuming that refers to Highway/Site work? And Oiler? From your post I gather this is crane setup, breakdown and maintenance?

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
Don't go in thinking you know what you are doing, that goes double if you really do know. This field is full of guys that know everything, at least they think they do.

One of my big mistakes was pointing out some rather obvious mistakes to the guys showing me the ropes. Some that were proven wrong later, some that weren't. I'm not trying to talk myself up, it's not that i was even right. Having some damn punk come in and tell you how to do your job is infuriating.

Remember, you are there to learn. Even the wrong way, as long as you realize it, can be a lesson. There's plenty career ahead of you to change how it's done. If you get labeled a smart arse or a know it all, no one will take the time to teach you.

Don't talk smack, fun is fun but don't talk bad about those you don't like. It makes you look bad to those you are talking to.

Now on a brighter note, try and see the next two steps before you have to make it. Concentrate on the task at hand but be prepared for the next. If it's getting extra tools out early or working in a direction that may not be obvious at first to set yourself up for the next thing. Moving a truck while you're getting stakes so the machine can move through the area without stopping.

Leave the house early, just get use to drinking coffee in the car before work. You can't afford to be late no matter what. Car trouble, traffic an alarm not going off. It won't matter, you are late. If you can't be trusted to show up as an apprentice, it's over.

Finally, take better care of the equipment than you do your own things. Don't think of it as a work truck or an old crane, it's expensive. Don't let the chains drag over the paint, wipe down the Cab, pull the trash even if it's not yours. Go the extra step. People will notice.

Good advice. I agree 100%.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
PS: Dirt Apprentice? I'm assuming that refers to Highway/Site work? And Oiler? From your post I gather this is crane setup, breakdown and maintenance?

There are 4 types of apprenticeship within the Operating Engineers here: Construction Equipment Operator (dozer, loader, forklift, etc.), Hoisting Engineer (cranes), Grade Tech/Survey, and mechanics. I started running equipment well over 10 years ago doing dirt work so I started out with that, have been a member for almost 5 years and journeyed out last May. I took a job as an oiler/rigger/bellman on a 230 ton crawler crane because they wanted an apprentice that had been accredited with NCCCO as a rigger/signaler and I had that card. I took the class because I was out of work with nothing to do, figured it couldn't hurt and it landed me 2+ years worth of work. Point is, take every opportunity and run with it. I had zero experience with cranes when I took that job and now I have the skills to stand at the business end of a crane and make things happen.

Blmreject

Occupation
mobile crane op IUOE Local 701
That's a very good point, you can learn all sorts of things from the oddest jobs. Just because you take a job doing something lame doesn't mean it won't change the first day. You could show up and be told they fired some one so now they need you to fill that spot.

I've been a crane operator for almost nine years, I took a week long oiling job a year and a half ago because i needed work and wound up taking the seat for a month because op was no good.

brassman80

Occupation
Operating Engineer
Another great thing to remember is to not be afraid to as questions. Some might find it annoying, but those are the guys that I learned to not 1)ask questions to and 2)listen to in the future. Most are willing to hear you out because in the end, you joined a UNION and even though we are a dying breed by today's standards, our craft is our livelihood and in I for one want to work with other driven and talented operators. I digress, ask questions. Some answers will be good and some will be bad, but you will learn to find a lesson or little nugget of information out of even the weirdest responses. I'd also like to reiterate to never turn down work, because in an apprenticeship EVERYTHING is a test - night work, long drives, "less agreeable" contractors/foreman/supers. I can;t say enough about the opportunities I received just being a go-getter and simply caring about bettering myself and others, they do in fact see that. I will elevate to journeyman in April with my NYS crane license and a great step towards being a first-rate operator on a lot of different pieces of equipment. Good luck my friend and no matter how things get, keep to it and challenge yourself. You tend to get out, what you put in.