• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How To Move a Pipelayer

stretch

Occupation
gopher
First of all, Merry Christmas to all!!! :)

Now, I know this may be kind of a dumb question, but how do pipelayers/sidebooms get transported? Are the boom and counterweights/winches removed from the tractor unit to allow easier transport?

9Axle

Occupation
heavy haul driver 9axle
it all depends on the size of machine

when i haul them u lay the boom section down on the front of the RGN(murry trailer) then i drive over the back of trailer over boom.but if u have a big side boom like a kumatsu 355 u take it all apart side boom,counter weights and haul it on another trailer.ill look threw my pics and see if i have soom pics:D

stretch

Occupation
gopher
Thanks for the info guys. Nice pics 95zIV! Now that's a tough lookin' sideboom if I ever saw one.

surfer-joe

We moved most of ours (D6C-D/E models) with boom off, counterweight on. We also had one old D7 that moved the same way, it didn't weigh a lot more than the 6E's. The D8's we bought back east (D8H models) had to have booms and counterweights off. So two trailers from Illinois to western Wyoming. We also had a couple of Deere 550/650 models with folding booms and the boom stayed on for transport.

In the oil patch however, most of our pipelayers were moved by merely driving them onto the trailer sideways, laying the boom down over the tail, and throwing on a couple of chains. Short moves sometimes, the operators even stayed in the seat. This was all off road of course.

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
Moving a 572 Side Boom

We always ran a skid basket in the front of our 572. That was "Bending and Sitting Up". So we would have to take the boom off for most moves. It wasn't a big deal just remove a couple of pins. For our Tying in Tractors And easy moves with the Bending Tractor we would side load and lay the boom down over the rear axles of the trailer.

D4E SA

What size machine is it

When I would hall a Cat 572 on a 5 axle expandable Murray RGN I would put the boom on the deck,put the counter wieghts at the rear of the deck then staddle the boom with the machine.Then load the machine 3/4 of the track off to one side to offset the weight of the side boom attachment.Have the trailer expanded to 10' wide.A machine like a Cat 583 I would haul on our Murray 7 axle with a fixed 10' wide deck.I would put the boom on the deck,the counter weights on the long neck over the jeep,the machine would be loaded about a 1/2 track off to the side of the side boom attachment.This would be on a fixed ten wide deck.Always made weight and never had any problems with the CHP.

knucklehead98

Hulcher and RJ Corman move thiers on 2 trucks.The one that they carry thee boom on is set up with racks to hold everything in place. This wouldn't be practical for most,but it is interesting to watch them roll on site. It seems like it only takes them a few minutes and they are ready to go to work.

D4E SA

Sideboom

We have moved a lot of equipment in on train derailments this year where Hulcher was in charge of the cleanup.We they move in on a derailment it looks like they bring the 2nd infantry with them well orgainzed and pretty impressive with there crews I have worked with.The know how to get er done,quick.There crews are very good to work with.

Chaz Murray

We have moved a lot of equipment in on train derailments this year where Hulcher was in charge of the cleanup.We they move in on a derailment it looks like they bring the 2nd infantry with them well orgainzed and pretty impressive with there crews I have worked with.The know how to get er done,quick.There crews are very good to work with.

Hulcher use to have a yard down the street from us across from the fair grounds....on a regular basis they would drive a 988 right down the street...I dont know how they got away with that without the CHP being all over them.

trainwreck

the outfit i work for has 2 cat 583k side booms, the only thing we take off is the weights. but we also have costom built folding boom that lay over onto the counter weight rack.

these 2 cat were costom built for the rail road back when they cleaned up there own messes