• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How to load machine on trailer without picking up back of truck?

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
You could put an oak plank on the ramp from over the leg to top of taper . This should keep the ramp from kicking out. You should cut a taper on both ends of the plank so it would easier to get on and off of plank

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
My trailer has no peg legs beneath the ramps so always tries to lift the front, as noted we use blocking beneath the rear dovetail to offset the lift to the front, cheap insurance. As to electric brakes, they have to be rolling to apply, only the magnets do any work sitting still where one could cook one trying to use as a hold when loading.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I have a tri axle 9 ton, and a C65. It has been a problem. First discovery was loading a 16500 LB backhoe on a downhill of 5%. Since then, trailer rears, truck fronts are chocked, and someone sits in the truck cab holding air brakes, as that's the only way front wheels, or trailer brakes work. With improved geometry ramps, there isn't a problem.

mitch504

Willie, moving the legs forward like your drawing helps, but is no guarantee. A short chain welded near the bottom of the legs, hooked in a keyhole slot about the same distance in front of the hinge as the length of the legs, is as close to a guarantee against movement as you are going to get. When the trailer tries to lift the truck, all that weight is on the legs, and they hold the rig still. When the weight goes forward and comes off the legs, it is on the locked drive wheels. Leave 1-2 links of slack when you hook it, and it may rock just a little, but will always be easy to unhook. Put another attachment point on the trailer frame and the same chain can serve to hold up the ramps going down the highway.

This is not conjecture, this worked great for over 20 yrs on my first 3 trailers. I installed them on my current trailer, but almost never use them as the beaver tail is short compared to the deck length.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I seen a larger gooseneck a while back that had folding legs pinned at the back corners of the trailers beavertail. With a load on you unpinned them and pulled ahead a couple inches standing them upright to unload. After unloading fold them forward and pin them up. To load, fold them down and load. After loading if they are tight simply back up a couple inches. They appeared to work real well and simple as could be.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
I will have to check that out and maybe weld some chain. Many people do not understand his situation as I would not have before I got in a tight spot. While loading a IHC 1066 and a 10' rotter tiller on a trailer like that I experienced a problem. The ramps which extend directly below the pins flipped up as the truck slid forward. Movement stopped when the trailer tail hit the ground. When I tried to pull forward weight was removed from the tail but not applied the the truck to prevent rolling down hill. Actually just a slight down grade but at the top of a good down hill. Also found the combination and angle touchy. Decided to just go for it as the weight transferred forward the truck would stop it. Then the front tractor tires wanted to become air born and run off the right side of the trailer. If I backed up the ramps would destroy rear panels on the tiller. Toys compared to td25c's stuff but lumber is cheep in comparison to accidents. Loading and unloading a 680CK on the same trailer is never a problem.

I got to do a concrete building slab for free about 5 years ago. I was loading a skid steer and the truck and trailer moved slightly down a hill as I was going on to the ramps. The trailers rear end hit the payment and the ramps ends stuck into the bottom of my grapple bucket and the trailer picked the truck up and away we went straight towards a house and a nice older bronco. I could not go forward or reverse. Luck would have it that the trailer jackknifed into the bed and bumper of my ford. It stopped 10 feet short of the bronco. I got to spend all the profit off the job fixing my truck. It was a good lesson. I NEVER load on a hill even when using wheel chocks unless multiple are used on truck and trailer. I always prefer to have another person hold the brakes when I load on hills. I attempt to never load on a hill or side slope. I have made the mistake of parking in the dirt on a side slope with machine loaded and thinking that 4x4 would allow me to ease out even if it rains. wrong. trailer sinks ramps cant open with out shoveling for an hour. Lessons learned...

One trailer I have has a bigger triangle on the ramp, may be a 36" triangle metal frame. It has not bent at all. Another I have has the same size frame work with a triangle of 18"s, it ramps now they look like bananas ..

Last edited: