1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

How to load machine on trailer without picking up back of truck?

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by jimpad, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Bls repair

Bls repair Senior Member

Equipment operator,mechanic
    You could put an oak plank on the ramp from over the leg to top of taper . This should keep the ramp from kicking out. You should cut a taper on both ends of the plank so it would easier to get on and off of plank

2. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    My trailer has no peg legs beneath the ramps so always tries to lift the front, as noted we use blocking beneath the rear dovetail to offset the lift to the front, cheap insurance. As to electric brakes, they have to be rolling to apply, only the magnets do any work sitting still where one could cook one trying to use as a hold when loading.

3. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
    I have a tri axle 9 ton, and a C65. It has been a problem. First discovery was loading a 16500 LB backhoe on a downhill of 5%. Since then, trailer rears, truck fronts are chocked, and someone sits in the truck cab holding air brakes, as that's the only way front wheels, or trailer brakes work. With improved geometry ramps, there isn't a problem.

4. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

Willie, moving the legs forward like your drawing helps, but is no guarantee. A short chain welded near the bottom of the legs, hooked in a keyhole slot about the same distance in front of the hinge as the length of the legs, is as close to a guarantee against movement as you are going to get. When the trailer tries to lift the truck, all that weight is on the legs, and they hold the rig still. When the weight goes forward and comes off the legs, it is on the locked drive wheels. Leave 1-2 links of slack when you hook it, and it may rock just a little, but will always be easy to unhook. Put another attachment point on the trailer frame and the same chain can serve to hold up the ramps going down the highway.

This is not conjecture, this worked great for over 20 yrs on my first 3 trailers. I installed them on my current trailer, but almost never use them as the beaver tail is short compared to the deck length.

DMiller likes this.
  5. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll rig it.

6. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    I seen a larger gooseneck a while back that had folding legs pinned at the back corners of the trailers beavertail. With a load on you unpinned them and pulled ahead a couple inches standing them upright to unload. After unloading fold them forward and pin them up. To load, fold them down and load. After loading if they are tight simply back up a couple inches. They appeared to work real well and simple as could be.

DMiller likes this.
  7. Tenwheeler

Tenwheeler Senior Member

How about this? Owner said it works good and it is simple. Nothing to haul around.

Attached Files:

old-iron-habit likes this.
  8. Georgia Iron

Georgia Iron Senior Member

Concrete building slab and grading contractor
    I got to do a concrete building slab for free about 5 years ago. I was loading a skid steer and the truck and trailer moved slightly down a hill as I was going on to the ramps. The trailers rear end hit the payment and the ramps ends stuck into the bottom of my grapple bucket and the trailer picked the truck up and away we went straight towards a house and a nice older bronco. I could not go forward or reverse. Luck would have it that the trailer jackknifed into the bed and bumper of my ford. It stopped 10 feet short of the bronco. I got to spend all the profit off the job fixing my truck. It was a good lesson. I NEVER load on a hill even when using wheel chocks unless multiple are used on truck and trailer. I always prefer to have another person hold the brakes when I load on hills. I attempt to never load on a hill or side slope. I have made the mistake of parking in the dirt on a side slope with machine loaded and thinking that 4x4 would allow me to ease out even if it rains. wrong. trailer sinks ramps cant open with out shoveling for an hour. Lessons learned...

One trailer I have has a bigger triangle on the ramp, may be a 36" triangle metal frame. It has not bent at all. Another I have has the same size frame work with a triangle of 18"s, it ramps now they look like bananas ..

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Tenwheeler likes this.