1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

How to keep delayed ooze from causing a mess.

Discussion in 'Lubrication' started by emmett518, Oct 15, 2021.

1. emmett518

emmett518 Senior Member

I've been told to pump grease until it oozes out of the space between the pin and the bushing.

Two questions.

In some bushings the grease does not ooze out equally from all areas around the pins. It comes out one side. Ideally, I should probably remove the pins and clean them out to insure that grease gets everywhere, but that would be a huge undertaking.

Is this OK?

2. I'm finding that despite me greasing religiously, I'm pumping 10 - 30 pumps, and not seeing grease oozing. But when I come out the next day, there's a huge glob of grease on the machine or on the ground.

Is there a technique for greasing that avoids the delayed notification that you have pumped too much, or is it just the way it is?

Thanks

2. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

Just the way it is. I follow up after greasing with some motion, then a wipe if it bothers me. If you cycle the cylinders and then wipe, you get most of it right then.

DMiller likes this.
  3. emmett518

emmett518 Senior Member

What do you wipe with? Zillions of paper towels or rags, or will one rag do the trick? I'm using up an entire roll of paper towels after every grease job.

DMiller likes this.
  4. Jonas302

Jonas302 Senior Member

You using to much grease

DMiller likes this.
  5. emmett518

emmett518 Senior Member

I was told to pump grease until you see it oozing out of the joint. Then stop.

DMiller likes this.
  6. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

My philosophy has always been to just pump enough that you know some fresh made it to the joint. It will get smeared around by the motion. So long as it actually gets done once in a while.

59 North, DMiller and skyking1 like this.
  7. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

The company buys me bags of rags. I'll use a couple after every greasing. they work ever so much better than paper towels.

DMiller likes this.
  8. JLarson

JLarson Senior Member

Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
    Rags.
    I grease pins till I just see fresh grease or if there's spacers see them move a little. Once you get used to moving around and greasing stuff you get the hang of it and avoid the grease blobs.

59 North and DMiller like this.
  9. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Kinda Retired
    By the time the pins and bushings as well the gap between pin eye and tool ears gets wide enough to slop grease the entire mechanism is due for refit and shims. Grease should only be a narrow band film between pin and bushing with a slight left over to sneak out to the side plates. Last 963B I have been using has a 1/8-1/4" slop in pins/bushings and gets a Loud Slap as the Cylinders square up inside the ears with additional 1/4" side travel, can visually see the pin in the gaps where that equates to Inches of flop roll in bucket curl and down roll as enter a materials pile as well when trying to load a truck considerable material being tossed from the bucket on any bump as all of the lift/curl slops up and down.

Sadly they are only new and tight when younger, that goes for a great many aspects.

petepilot likes this.