• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How to dump a frameless, end dump trailer??

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Have just bought an old, 30' frameless end dump trailer to use for hauling demolition debris. I have had a lot of tandem dumps, but nevr owned or operated an 18 wheeler end dump until now.
What is the best method of duming the load off this trailer:
1. Set trailer brake, raise bed, let truck tractor roll back toward trailer as bed raises???
2. Set tractor brakes, raise bed, let back of trailer roll forward as bed raises???
Which is best, and why?
Thanks,
Jeff

trucker1

Does it have an air gate?? I had a dump trailer with a frame, you could not set the trailer brakes and open the gate, as in no air and the gate would not unlock. When I did pull a frameless YEARS ago, I did set the trailer brakes and let the tractor roll, but that was a manual gate.

George

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
I have it set up with barn doors that open outward. So, I have to get out and open them myself, before dumping.

JDOFMEMI

Everyone has their own way.
I would usually apply the trailer brakes with the hand valve, so the trailer is still charged, and your gate issue is solved. Depending on the load, as it builds up, I will release the hand valve to let the trailer come forward away from the pile. Sometimes you have to set the tractor brakes for this to work, sometimes not. I like the control of this instead of driving forward with the box up.
Finally I would pull forward just enough to clear the load, then release the tractor brakes and apply the hand valve for trailer brakes again to lower.

Others may do it different, but that works for me.

Fastdirt

It scared me when I discovered the videos too. Just keeps you aware of the danger. Most of them look to be level too. Now go search big truck front tire blowout videos. That will make you buy premium steer tires if anything. I'm not trying to be morbid but those steer blow outs are deadly and those trailer dumps seem to be like motorcycles...either you have or you will. Maybe huh.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Commenting out of my field again, I have only had a little bit to do with tip trailers.

On one job I was on I they were having trouble with blue mangrove mud hanging up and they fitted hydraulic vibrators and it was like chalk and cheese and the crap would flow out at stage three of the hoist.

Cheers.

lantraxco

Yep, old saying was "there's only two kinds of end spill drivers, those that have laid the trailer over, and those that will" I never did, but then almost never hauled anything sticky and had a brand new 102" wide trailer to pull, thanks old boss. That's one of the main reasons they invented frameless end dump trailers, besides cutting down on dead weight, the manufacturers knew they were going over sooner or later, no frame means no frame to bend or break and almost never any damage to the tractor. By the way, I'm with JDOFMEMI, I used the trailer hand valve, let the tractor do it's thing unless the load started to pile up, just like he said.

Shimmy1

In regards to steer blow-outs, the trick is to resist the urge to slam on the brakes. You need to gas on it, regain control, and just forget about saving the rim. Keep it on the road. I guarantee you it works.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
The obvious solution will always depend on circumstances at the time and there is no "one size fits all"here.The objective is to dump without doing any damage to the equipment so each cycle presents its own challenges.You always put the trailer wheels in position to level the trailer and if that means backing the trailer on a berm etc on one side to do it then that is what you do.In that case I would lock the trailer brakes and let the tractor roll back as you dump.When the bulk of the load has moved to the lower end of the trailer you can release the trailer brakes enough to make room behind you so that the load can exit cleanly and you an be on your way.Ron G

td25c

I feel bad for you guys with the longer frameless dump trailers .

It has a lot to do with the way the trailer was loaded .................

I generally load a truck or trailer from back to front . My thinking is the first bucket load drops & sticks in the rear of the bed , then keep dumping on the loose dirt in the bed letting it roll forward to the front .
If it is the least bit sticky don't let any roll in to the front around the cylinder well .

I use an old steel 1961 trailmobile 21 foot frame style rig . It's a short tandem trailer but we have managed to keep the truck & trailer on it's wheels over the years .

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
The one wildcard which applies to all dump trailers of course is frozen material.Sometimes when you are dumping the load will hang on one side,even up in the nose and things get interesting in a hurry there.I have seen a few go over in my days and in 99% of the cases the driver was out of the cab.Once you trip the gate you need to get back and tend to things and by watching in the mirrors you can spot a problem before any damage is done.
TD25c,I usually put the first and 1st bucket and last bucket against the gate when I can but since DMV started using the bridge weight(axle weight) formula when weighing the truck you are forced to distribute the weight differently but we know what we like.Ron G

td25c

Yeah RonG . If I had to pull a longer frameless dump trailer I would look in to installing some kind of hydraulic stabilizing cylinders on the rear axil .

Something like these side dump wagons use on the front axil . Basically locks the suspension up . Or go even further and have it where the driver could manipulate each side according to conditions . http://sunflowermfg.com/download.php?file=sunflower-harvesting-dump-wagon-brochure.pdf

Poly bed liner also helps .

For now I'll keep my short steel dump as it's pretty forgiving .:)

lantraxco

The newer frameless trailers I have seen, when they lift they pivot until solid blocks contact the rear axle and the front axle tilts up with the tub. Can't get much more solid than that unless you put outriggers on.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Well,here is the rig I ended up with. 1993 Freightliner and an old 1971 Hobbs, 30', dump trailer. I have had double barn doors built for the back, as I am mostly hauling demolition debris, and, trees and brush from landclearing.
First time I dumped it I was pretty nervous. now, I am feeling better about dumping it. I am still VERY careful.
Jeff

Attachments

• Freightliner and end dump trailer.jpg
    Freightliner and end dump trailer.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 250

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
This photo shows the latch set up on the doors.

Attachments

• trailer barn doors.jpg
    trailer barn doors.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 247

norite

Around here semi end dumps frame or frameless are disappearing. Most are going to moving bottom trailers, no need to lift the box the load is pushed out the back by a conveyor belt in the bottom.

Oxbow

Side dumps are taking over here. They can present some problems of their own, but the results are usually less drastic than an end dump becoming a side dump.

rockytopcummins

I kind of doubt that '71 has air bags but if the tractor does make sure and dump the bags. I always always always dump the bags on both the tractor and trailer. Release brakes on both and use the trolley valve to hold the trailer brakes as she's walking up. Oh, and don't forget to hang up your mud flaps. You'll only pay to replace them once then you won't "forget" anymore.