• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How To Change & Tube Backhoe & Tractor Tires

Nick350

Hey ya'll I am back with another how-to video, this time documenting a tire change on our Ford New Holland 555E.

We had a local tire repair guy come out and swap them while showing us the ropes. I highly recommend Darrel's Tire Repair in Shelbyville TN.

All that being said I am not an expert on this, just trying to provide some help but feel free to ask questions!

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Believe it or not but it's far easier to do a tire change without removing the wheel off the tractor. Everything about the tire removal is the same as the video though

aighead

I just found my tractor has a flat back tire and I'm not too thrilled about it. I'll try to patch, if possible, and my plan otherwise it to pay someone to come out and wrestle it off if not, but I'll still check out this video.

Tinkerer

There are really handy tools available to break the beads loose. Especially for the inside of the rim if you don't want to remove the wheel.
There is nothing more aggravating than hitting the rim with a big hammer and bending the rim.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Why wouldn’t you use offside stabilizer to break bead, if you’re going to take off anyway?

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
When I had one of mine replaced the guy pulled the wheel and had me break the bead with the heel of the backhoe bucket. He installed a tube and the next day it was flat. When he pulled the tube back out the rubber at the valve was separated. He put it back on tubeless. That was a circus to watch. He had one of those bead seater tanks that almost knocked him off his feet every time he opened the valve. He eventually packed the void full of tire grease and got it to seat but he was covered in the grease. I prefer tubeless so I can plug if I get a puncture.

That hole looked drilled. It would have probably plugged okay but I don't know I would pay new price for a tire with a hole in it. Look for the manufacturer date and see if that is intact?

I bought some tires off ebay for my little tractor that showed up with holes drilled in them. The production dates were also ground off. That was a dance getting those fools to take them back. They came from a actual tire dealer that swore they were not seconds. I'm thinking the tires were either recalled or just too old. Either way I wasn't about to pay what they cost and have to plug or patch a brand new tire.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
I bought some tires off ebay for my little tractor that showed up with holes drilled in them. The production dates were also ground off.

Wow, that is crazy! Earlier in my career I worked at Goodyear. I never once saw this. Of course, if a tire was recalled, we would send it back, so at that point who knows what they do with them. I would think they would destroy them, not just drill them. Again crazy!!

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Wow, that is crazy! Earlier in my career I worked at Goodyear. I never once saw this. Of course, if a tire was recalled, we would send it back, so at that point who knows what they do with them. I would think they would destroy them, not just drill them. Again crazy!!
Looks like I didn't save the pics. The date code area looked like it was ground off precision with a milling machine. It even conformed to the curvature of the tire.

Way back in the day I saw some recall tires and dealers were instructed to cut the sidewalls so there was no chance they could be used.