1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How stupid is this

Discussion in 'Safety Issues' started by Tones, Jan 21, 2016.

1. hetkind

hetkind Senior Member

Acetone has been quite the problem, very low flash point, low initiation energy, high vapor pressure. I have seen acetone vapor set off by rubbing nomex coveralls on plexiglass. As a teenager, I used to use acetone in my zippo lighter since I had a free supply from my father's medical laboratory.

Howard

2. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

Here's a regulation few know about. FMVS rule that all commercial vehicles with air brakes have the air tanks tested once a year. At 500 psi for 10 minutes.
    First where am I going to find 500 psi air pressure to test with. Have any of you folks ever seen anyone do a yearly test on truck air tanks? Not to mention
    I wouldn't want to be anywhere near a truck air tank at 500 psi.

Truck Shop

3. hetkind

hetkind Senior Member

That is an easy one...call up your gas supplier and get a tank of nitrogen and two stage regulator that goes to five hundred psi. Then test while on the other side of a reinforced concrete wall, like they do split rims behind.

Howard

4. Dozerboy

Dozerboy Senior Member

Operator
    No way I got scared then the regulator when out and I hit 200psi on my way to the shop.

5. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    That's a test that shoulb done with water, similar to a hydrotest for boilers. Water doesn't compress and release energy like bomb if the vessel ruptures. You'll just get wet.:D

6. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    Gee I thought the test was to empty a can of starting fluid into the tank then hold your ciggy lighter next to the inlet!

7. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

And yes the test calls for a hydro static test. But I guess the point I was making is no one does an annual test.

S5.1.2.2Each reservoir shall be capable of withstanding an internal hydrostatic pressure of five times the compressor cutout pressure or 500 psi, whichever is greater, for 10 minutes.

Truck Shop

8. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

Yah there is always an easy way. Just do this and that never mind money and time wasted. It's just a silly a$$ regulation.

Truck Shop

9. fixou812

fixou812 Senior Member

Millwright Equipment Mechanic Welder
    I used to add 2/3 oz. Of acetone to every 5 gallons of gasoline Made it run Real good and better milage.

10. Heavey Metal

Heavey Metal Well-Known Member

Typical dum as safety engineer

The most dangerous person on the job.

11. hetkind

hetkind Senior Member

Let me help you out with that...I think you wanted to say "dumb ass" and we all have rights to our opinion. We all know guys who ended in safety because they screwed every OTHER job up. When I was young I had bosses like that, later I was given teammates like that, now, that I am older and wiser, I can find them good homes where they can do little damage.

But if we go back, the original question was "how do you test at 500 psi" NOT "should you test at 500 psi"

The ASME pressure vessel code allows a air test when a hydrostatic could contaminate the system, and they require shielding for possible primary and secondary fragments. The split rim shops around here have a separate bay with a good reinforced concrete wall the operator stands behind to inflate instead of a cage. This would contain the possible fragments if the air tank let go.

I look at test plans for high explosives on a weekly basis and know exactly what high energy fragments will do. It takes a good chunk of high explosives to generate 500 psi at 20 feet.

Howard

12. td25c

td25c Senior Member

Never heard of that one Truck Shop , I imagine if everyone tested trucks & equipment to that PSI it would stimulate air tank & related component sales . LOL!:D

13. Heavey Metal

Come on dude face it that was really bad advice for you to tell someone to put 500 psi of nitrogen in an air tank.

But than anyone with a lick of sence knows it would be hydrostatic.

14. hetkind

hetkind Senior Member

If I told someone to PUT 500 psi in a air tank with a hydrostatic test requirement, I would be wrong. What I said was getting the 500 psi air to put in was the easy part...

However, not going to wrestle with pig, you both the get dirty and pig enjoys it.

Howard

15. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

I never intended to test any air tanks. And FMVS has changed it's rules about testing annually on commercial vehicles. I can't find the rule
    on that, It had been around for years. I know it was there two years ago. My point was there test improperly done would lead to more
    people being injured.

The FMVS only changed the requirements on the material and strength testing of trailer kingpins five years ago. It had been the same for
    75 plus years.

16. hetkind

hetkind Senior Member

Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease...I can see that a hydrostatic test improperly done would fill the system with water, and then have it freeze solid in cold weather. I would think that removing the air tank to be tested by a specialty vendor would be expensive. On the other hand, how would you find internal corrosion that would affect the overall strength? Since I am not in the trucking industry, I haven't read the FMVS.

Howard

Howard

17. Heavey Metal

Please refer to post # 23 this thread.

18. Heavey Metal

Sence you have no knowledge of this subject please refrain from giving dangerous advice.

Here is the proper procedure which includes measuring the amount that the tank swells
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...oiwr00TId-9RVu1kA&sig2=pSC5rvBrvbro4LEwJSCgMw

19. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    Maybe I am missing it but I do not see in the link posted that this is to be a "once a year" test as the poster in #22 said it was. What I did read in the link was:
    The bolding and under line is my addition!

20. hetkind

hetkind Senior Member

Now it makes sense...this is a design verification test, and has nothing to do with normal vehicle maintenance.

All this noise about something that occurs in a testing laboratory to certify the design of a braking system.

Howard