• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How old is your truck?Pics please!!

Ron Light

I know this is not an Autocar, but it runs like a sewing machine, and who would want to steal something off a truck that looks like this (good ins.).

Back in 1990 I made a JB Weld repair between a liner lip and the water jacket, didn't think it would last to haul the last 5 loads I needed to move, but here a little over 18 years later it still cranks up every time I need it:D ( moved lots of material since then) but not on the road.

Ron

100_3474.JPG

Ron Light

I know this is not an Autocar, but it runs like a sewing machine, and who would want to steal something off a truck that looks like this (good ins.).

Back in 1990 I made a JB Weld repair between a liner lip and the water jacket, didn't think it would last to haul the last 5 loads I needed to move, but here a little over 18 years later it still cranks up every time I need it:D ( moved lots of material since then) but not on the road.

Ron

View attachment 20313

Another shot I didn't get in the first post.

pictures in march 4th 2008 download 017.jpg

Ron Light

An old Cornbinder! And with the dual stacks, I'll bet there's a Detroit under the hood......

Just can't seem to like looking at something that doesn't appear in balance??:beatsme

Power is from a cummins NH 220 turbocharged, the exhaust T's into a pipe across the frame which supports the twin mufflers.
It really emits a sweet sound, under load:notworthy, learning to drive the 4X4 transmission took some time, and whatever one does "DON'T MISS A GEAR", if you do, be prepared to stop and start all over.

Once I got the hang of it, it is really fun to drive.

The old truck in the background of the second picture has the 8V71

Ron

Last edited:

OneWelder

I had two old white's (of the early sixtys vintage) one was a NH 220 nat. asp. with a 5 and 2, The other was a Reman. By Cummins NH 220 with turbo and 5 and 4. I always assumed the turbo was an update to increased the horsepower- it certainly had a lot more power.
You will get used to the trans and won't have to stop to recover- most of the time

special tool

I had two old white's (of the early sixtys vintage) one was a NH 220 nat. asp. with a 5 and 2, The other was a Reman. By Cummins NH 220 with turbo and 5 and 4. I always assumed the turbo was an update to increased the horsepower- it certainly had a lot more power.
You will get used to the trans and won't have to stop to recover- most of the time

Cool.

You sure it was 220 with turbo?
Could have been 270 maybe???

Ron Light

Cool.

You sure it was 220 with turbo?
Could have been 270 maybe???

No I'm not sure, the motor plate (if I remember right) said NH-220 and it does have a turbo, if I make it back to the pit in the next few days, I'll pull the hood and check again.

Could be NH-220 that someone added the turbo later, I think the man I bought it from had brought it from California, something special I think, it is nearly all aluminum. Before DOT here in Texas, I was licensed for 68,000 truck and trailer, my empty weight with full fuel was just over 22,000. A 48,000 payload was right there with the big boys but I had learned years earlier not to make the mistake of taking too heavy a load up too big a hill:eek: I generally stayed right at 15 yds.

Ron

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
A 48,000 payload was right there with the big boys but I had learned years earlier not to make the mistake of taking too heavy a load up too big a hill:eek: I generally stayed right at 15 yds.

Ron
A couple summers ago a guy tried to climb a hill on Long Hill Road (no lie) without enough grunt and stalled the truck. The brakes wouldn't hold the load either and he rolled the truck. A few days later, the same driver in the same truck made a second attempt with the same truck.......same results!! Needless to say the cops weren't too impressed. I think the second time the driver was taken away in cuffs.

PSDF350

A couple summers ago a guy tried to climb a hill on Long Hill Road (no lie) without enough grunt and stalled the truck. The brakes wouldn't hold the load either and he rolled the truck. A few days later, the same driver in the same truck made a second attempt with the same truck.......same results!! Needless to say the cops weren't too impressed. I think the second time the driver was taken away in cuffs.

Straight jacket may have been more appropriate.

Ron Light

No I'm not sure, the motor plate (if I remember right) said NH-220 and it does have a turbo, if I make it back to the pit in the next few days, I'll pull the hood and check again.

Could be NH-220 that someone added the turbo later, I think the man I bought it from had brought it from California, something special I think, it is nearly all aluminum. Before DOT here in Texas, I was licensed for 68,000 truck and trailer, my empty weight with full fuel was just over 22,000. A 48,000 payload was right there with the big boys but I had learned years earlier not to make the mistake of taking too heavy a load up too big a hill:eek: I generally stayed right at 15 yds.

Ron

Guess it's obvious my math sucks,:eek: never did get stopped and weighed, but then even when it looked a little better, I knew it would be too much of a battle to get, and stay legal, so I took it off the road in 1990 when DOT was put in force.:notworthy:drinkup

Freightrain

What was the 262? a 220 with a turbo? or was it a 250 with turbo?

Ya, once you get the hang of two sticks....gettin' double nutt'n doesn't require a full stop. Usually you after a few days....you'll quit gettin double nutt'n.

Ron Light

I fired it up yesterday, and while it was warming up I copied the numbers.
The plate on the motor gives the following info
HP gross net @ 2100 RPM......204
HP gross max@ 2100 RPM.....220

The engine number ended with a 7, and the truck spec plate showed the engine exactly the same but ending with a 6.
Has to be that someone used the wrong punch when every thing was being assembled, the plate on the engine and truck show no appearance that either has been changed. If the engine has been changed I find it hard to believe that these numbers could be so close.

I have a cummins service manual and all the combinations seem to indicate if the engine had started out as a turbo setup it would have been listed as NT-6 250hp@2100, or NTE-235 235hp@2100.

The book has 20 designations for the NH series engine (743 cubic inch) size.
If anyone is interested or has a need I'll list them in a post.

Ron

Tacodriver

Occupation
Yarder op, hoechucker, lowbedder etc..

Attachments

• dec0spring 08 riding 009 (Small).jpg
    dec0spring 08 riding 009 (Small).jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,882

Ron Light

Can I see a picture of this engine?

100_3541.JPG

100_3547.JPG

This is the NH-220, the first pic shows the turbocharger.

One thing I'm curious about, the service manual does not show a picture of an engine with starter on the driver side ?? Is this something special, or different ?
I did not notice this until making these posts.

100_3546.JPG

Ron

Last edited: