• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How old is your truck?Pics please!!

nedly05

That is a beautiful star, I went over to Vt this winter and looked at a couple of trucks, we ended up with an 05' Mack, bought it at Sheldon Trucks down in Williston.Great people to deal with down there.

jrtraderny

Thats a great old Mack, I think I am one of the few on the board that actually likes Macks. The new Granites are great, but I love the old R model.
How many miles on her? how many HP? Looks great!

What ? Someone else besides Mack builds trucks?
Since when ?
jr

iron kid

Occupation
owner 12 man team
i love the older western star. that is what i use for my lowboy, nice cabs clean looking and great frames

ddot430

101_0908.jpg

1987 International Cabover. 400 big cam Cummins, 13 speed, 3:70 rears.
Well, it was dirt cheap!! Runs great, jakes stick from time to time so ya better be payin' attention.:guns:guns

Cabovers kick ass

capt_met

here's mine. it is a '79. nothing fancy but so far so good as long as i'm not in a hurry.

Attachments

• DSC00080.JPG
    DSC00080.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 2,562

iron kid

Occupation
owner 12 man team
How much? What do u guys think a truck of that year and shape is wroth

special tool

I have a '62 Autocar DC87OH (in my avatar).
I hope to be able to post pics with this, my 3rd post.

On a 15% slope, I can let the clutch out with 10 yards of wet clay without any throttle.
ZERO.;)
The torque arms are 6 inches across.

special tool

Here we go...
Roadbuilding in Armonk, NY.

Attachments

• Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 2,109
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 2,122
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 2,128
Last edited:

Paystar

Occupation
Retired trucking owner/operator
Wow, very nice :notworthy Autocar. That was my dream truck when I was a kid.:cool2 Does it have Cummins power? Nice to see a truck like that still working and looking that good.:usa:drinkup

special tool

Thanks guys.
Yeah, 100% original Cummins NH250, both trannies and rear.
Engine has never been opened.
All 3 frame rails are made out of some freako-kryptonite manganese/steel from the planet Neptune...no separation whatsoever after 46 years.

It has an air pto and modern spring brakes, but those are the only concessions to post-JFK.

JJK

I wish I had my camera yesterday, shoulda seen this Autocar (not that yours isn't nice it IS). But man this truck was DECKED out!!

Paystar

Occupation
Retired trucking owner/operator
Hey Special Tool, try to find a 5 year old truck with no frame seperation:D They don't make em like that anymore. What's it got for a tranny? Does it have decent road speed or is it a stump puller?

special tool

Thanks guys.
Honestly, the new trucks are better in most areas, especially economy/effiency,etc.
I will never, however, accept that the structural and even the sheet metal is as good on the new trucks as it was on old Macks, Kenworths, Autocars,etc.
Heck, there are old B Macks in NJ still working with their ORIGINAL Heil bodies!!!!
The frames in this Autocar are actually a steel/manganese alloy - so it says in the manual. I am forced to believe that they weren't bullshitting.

If you take a new tri-axle off the road for any serious time, you will lose the dump pin mounts. Don't believe me? Ask around.;)

I know that the old trucks were designed to be off road because they were building the highway system and the new ones must be lighter to always be ON asphalt, but they are made out of paper.
I have to roll out the item 4 before the local LOG TRUCKS will come up the hill!!! Imagine that!
I don't blame them - new Kenworths are made out of see-through pot metal and come with those gay tubeless metric tires.

Sorry, I stop ranting now.:drinkup