• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How old is your dump truck?

Auctioneerhere

I recently had an engine go out on a newer truck... so I switched to plan B... a 1969 KW T/A that I have owned for several years.

The driver moved 10 loads with it today. First time working with it in quite a while.

It performed flawlessly.

It got me to thinking...How many older trucks are still out working?

Let's see them...

Last edited:

toomanymachines

I have a 1961 404 unimog with a hoist and 600 gallon water tank used every two weeks to fill my cistern.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
I have a 67' kaiser 6x6 multifuel that's my off road dump. I did run a 79' chevy c-60 as my regular equipment tower and dumptruck last year. Now I run an 88' ford f800, diesel :).

The kaiser can be used on road but the ford is faster and is 4 ton lighter empty, with simular hp.

mitch504

I have 2 '94 Macks, 1 '96 Mack, 1 '71 Chevy C90, and 1 '77 IH. Unless I change my mind the Macks will be for sale next week.

d9gdon

mitch504,

I sold my Mack dump truck at Ritchie Bros auction last fall. I couldn't believe it brought as much as it did, brought $4000 more than I was asking. They will definitely hold their value.

My front line dump truck now is the one I started with, a '74 Ford F600 with a 361 and 4x2.

Gmc7210

Occupation
Owner of small excavating/landscaping company
I run an 85 gmc 7000 and an 84 Western Star, Their old but still get the material to the job.

mitch504

why r u sellin the macks mitch? If I might ask...

I haven't made money with for-hire trucking in a few years. I went to my main trucking customer about fuel prices; they agreed to a rate increase equal to half my cost increase, but refused to do it as a fuel surcharge, so the drivers get 30% of the increase. That leaves me eating 65% of the fuel increase, and more if it goes up further. My ins. renews this week.

In the last few years I have let the other things I do subsidize my trucks, so I would still have trucks and drivers for my jobs when I need them.

A carrier w/ 3 tractors competes with owner/operators; and, when times are bad O/Os make less money, but my drivers still get 30% off the top, before anything else.

This new federal safety program is a PITA, and like usual, very little of it applies to a small local carrier, but I still gotta fill out all those forms, but w/o a seperate compliance person.

When I want to go somewhere w/ my wife, I won't have to keep my phone on 24/7, or worry about trucks on the road, and what if one has a problem while I'm not there.

In short, I'm Tired of it. I've had trucks on the road for 16 years, so it'll be an adjustment, for sure....

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
30%, you pay your drivers well. Either that or drivers get paid crap up here... 20-25%.

I'm always looking for ways to expand what I do and have been looking at trucks w/ the marcellas shale boom and all. I just haven't seen where its something that a decent profit can be made in until your the primary contractor w/ the trucks. For instance unless you have 20 - 30 trucks, your subbing under someone else and getting paid $75.00 hr for tri-axle dumps, meanwhile the primary is getting $90. In my opinion $75 per hr isn't enough for a vehicle that can let $35 an hr go up the stack, and a driver that wants $20... + all the other costs and headaches.

jbernd

Just trying things out

:notworthyJust trying my luck with posting. Here are some pics of the D4 I am working on.:):):)

Attachments

• D4 restoration 097.jpg
    D4 restoration 097.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 889
  • D4 first look at the farm 002.jpg
    D4 first look at the farm 002.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 895
  • D4 restoration 017.jpg
    D4 restoration 017.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 887

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I quit custom hauling all together after the 2003 season. No money in it at all anymore when you have to hire drivers, or should I say "truck jockeys and cowboys." There are no good drivers around here to hire.

Add to that increase in license cost of 30% jump at one time in 2009, fuel costs, maintenance, and it all turns up in the red.

So my two Mack quads sit unless I need them myself. With the shortage of work I have been able to hire trucks for less that I can put mine on the road and don't have the headaches. Oh ya, DOT inspectors are also becoming the the hair on a dog's back too.

d9gdon

Yeah, and try to hire one that can pass a pee test. At least back when it was busy. Add to that, the crusher pits will haul for less just to push their product. I just get a 72 hour or 144 hour permit anymore instead of keeping them registered for what little I run them for myself. They're just a necessary evil.

I have the record on warnings from our friendly state DOT. 39 warnings and 2 tickets all printed out on his newfangled laptop. I think he was just trying it out. I still have the printout hanging on my tack board. The girls at the JP's office let me keep it after I paid the fines. Speaking of tacks, that's what he was ... a pr!ck.