• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How often do you see Female workers in the metal trades?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Around here we have plenty of big men working on equipment. If they can't do the job they get to go search for work somewhere else. In some cases that hasn't applied to women. In my earlier days in the trade I had to dump the garbage cans and stack blocking for a woman hired to accomplish my prior job. She was encouraged to leave the company but not forced to. My time was being charged to customers to do part of her job that was paid internally. Ultimately, the customer paid for some administrator's wish to fulfill a quota.

Pixie

Occupation
remodeling
I especially like the things that you can't see and touch at the same time !

Orangutan would not fit some places.... Thought I was stuck more than once working on boats.... I'm maybe too limber. At 5'6" and 140 pounds, I can wiggle my way into places but backing out can be tricky !!

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
When MUCH Younger, not soon after Trade School working at MACK Truck Sales STL, Loaded 14yd Dump truck with blown mast hose came in, I wriggled into Mast Box of bed and took off line. Had one made and reassembled same way, Guy was all too happy to pay the bill and get that load off. I DO NOT fit that same area with a cylinder still in it now!!!!

Welder Dave

Sometimes being smaller is a curse and sometimes a blessing. Was watching a show where a little person was a welder on a ship. He got paid big bucks because he could fit in where know one else could. On the other hand it sucks being thrown 15' inside an 18" pipe to back weld an elbow because you can fit. You can barely move let alone weld. Sucks even worse if a spark takes out your trouble light or someone catches the power cord and it unplugs. You have to back out and then head back in.

As far as women go, any shop I was in that hired women welders, they were very good at their job. One horrible shop I worked at went through 9 people a week on average. The talk in the lunch room certainly changed when a woman was hired. I think they tried to test her by having her do some rather intricate torch cutting. Her torch skills were better than most of the guys in the shop. In fact several were shocked she was that good with a torch.

Welder Dave

They have to be which is a double standard. If I was working with anyone who needed a hand lifting something heavy I would help them. If the co-worker is good at their job and needs a hand the odd time big deal. I need a hand sometimes too. If a co-worker isn't any good and just basically lazy (or got hired by who they know) I'm less apt to help them.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I don’t want anyone to mistake what I stated about women in the trades. I fully support anyone who can do the job should be there if they wish. It makes no difference if they are female or male, but special allowances should not be made. It is a drag on everyone else and kills morale fast.