• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How not to haul an Excavator…..

Truck Shop

Easy time to replace ring gear. Is there enough orange vests on the scene? All standing around
conjuring deep thoughts of what just took place, Hey Ralph I think at my angle he forgot to
kick the boom out what do you think Ralph? I think your right Bob, looks like driver/operator error,
seen this before.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
I kinda want to see the bridge.

Easy time to replace ring gear. Is there enough orange vests on the scene? All standing around
conjuring deep thoughts of what just took place, Hey Ralph I think at my angle he forgot to
kick the boom out what do you think Ralph? I think your right Bob, looks like driver/operator error,
seen this before.

There aren't even enough shovels to lean on lol

JaredV

Must have had it against the step and facing forward to maximize the weight on the drivers, seeing how there's ice on the shoulder. Unfortunately he found out the step raises the height of the boom. Probably would have had similar weight distribution with the blade and boom back and the tracks against the step.

When the chain over the boom thing came around, a DOT officer told me it was because an excavator boom bounced up and hit a bridge. Yeah, right. That was probably the driver's story, but who ever heard of a boom bouncing? You know he was overheight and didn't want to admit it.

skyking1

need pictures of the bridge.
I googed and found one I had not seen yet. This first picture is disconcerting, like they ran into a steel wall.
1680x1121.2375690608_1357146962_image5.jpg

Then you go up on the tracks to see the fullness of destruction.

1680x1121.2375690608_1357146962_image3.jpg

Welder Dave

Darn, I sure wish the picture on the front page of a local paper was on the net. Back in the mid 90's a new Cat D10 was stuck almost vertically under a bridge on the Yellowhead trail a little West of Edmonton. A coal power plant had purchased 4 new D10's. 3 were delivered without any issues. Somebody wasn't paying attention on the 4th one. The ripper shank was installed upside down and they forgot to lower the ripper after loading the Cat on the trailer. The ripper caught the bridge and D10 was a right off. Must have been real fun and a little scary getting it unwedged from under the bridge. Ripped the 5th wheel mount right off the trailer. Driver was in shock. He hit the bridge at about 80kmh (50 mph). Bridge was closed and inspected for structural damage but didn't require complete demolition. I think it might have been a railway bridge but can't remember. Can't forget the pic. though, it was a holy $hit moment.

Truck Shop

The Construction company I worked for years ago-a driver with a 225 on the lowboy didn't stretch
the boom/stick out and just clipped a I-90 overpass. The driver kept going. The boss found out and
called DOT/WSP and said anonymously he witnessed another construction company that was just up
the road as the one who hit the overpass. He was a real nice guy, honest as the minute is long.

JaredV

In the '70's, there was a lowboy moving a big IH dozer, TD-24 I think, with the blade forward. It started across a state highway bridge with a steel superstructure and the local butcher truck didn't wait on the other side. The blade snagged a beam and the dozer ended up sitting in the other lane facing the other direction. No one was hurt but the bridge. It was replaced with a wider concrete bridge and fortunately there was an easy detour around it. I don't know how well the dozer and lowboy fared.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Back in my rookie years I was asked to move an excavator from high elevation to another job. It was a long hill so I was keeping the truck and trailer at a slow speed so it was both controllable and didn't heat the brakes. I was also running freight part time in 13/6 trailers and was very conscious of clearance issues and as I was going through a curve I noticed a thick phone cable hanging diagonally across the road that looked low. I slowed to a crawl and sure enough the cable was riding up on the excavator boom. I kept creeping forward until the cable hit the boom cylinder, then I got out and shimmied up the boom and lifted the cable over the cylinder. Got the machine to the next job safely and no one knew the extent I had gone to to make that happen! Never received any training, they just gave me the assignment.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
I had just started with a brick company, as manager of mining operations and lost the cabs on two machines, (at overpasses), during my first year there. The first machine was a used 988 loader we were demoing. Hauling it back after a demo, our driver hit a highway overpass. He had loaded the machine backwards, so when it hit, the whole cab ripped loose and folded over the front hydraulic cylinders. He was on a route approved by the state oversize permit office, but it was still considered his fault. A good thing came out of this though, maybe two. We only had an old oilfield float to haul equipment on, and it had a reverse set up on the hitch, where the 5th wheel plate was on the trailer. so, we only had one truck to pull it. Well, the height of the trailer is really what caused the cab to hit. I had been turned down a month before when asking for a new lowboy trailer. The week after the accident, I got approved for a new haul trailer. We also missed out on that loader, but instead we got a brand new Volvo loader for our pit loading.
About 2 months after this accident, I had just bought a nice low hour D8L. While being hauled to us, the driver took the cab off at an underpass on the interstate. My boss asked me what that was going to cost us. I told him, "nothing", as the deal was made for us to pay for it when it was delivered. The trucking company had to pay, so we got a whole new cab and new A/C system in the deal. Not a very good way to start my career there, but it all worked out.

skyking1

In the '70's, there was a lowboy moving a big IH dozer, TD-24 I think, with the blade forward. It started across a state highway bridge with a steel superstructure and the local butcher truck didn't wait on the other side. The blade snagged a beam and the dozer ended up sitting in the other lane facing the other direction. No one was hurt but the bridge. It was replaced with a wider concrete bridge and fortunately there was an easy detour around it. I don't know how well the dozer and lowboy fared.
There was a similar mishap but he bridge came down and dropped the dozer and lowboy in the little Naches river in 1979.
It is on this list here but no cause is listed. I know the cause.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Washington_state_bridge_failures
The pilot car tried to block the pickup and camper but he got past them, and the lowboy driver with the D7 swerved and braked to keep from killing the driver with the overhanging blade corner.
The right blade hooked into the bridge steel, and yanked the bridge right off the footing. The pickup kept going and the lowboy and dozer ended up in the river, which is more of a creek at most times.

aighead

While it's not the same as hitting a bridge Steve's comment makes me think of every time I drive the backhoe up the road. We have a couple wires the go across the road and at least 2 of them look very low. I usually come to a stop and try to lean out the back window to make sure I'll clear them but it always makes me very nervous. After that I try to watch the lines as I go under to see if there is any movement so I can slam on the brakes if needed, though it'd probably be too late. I don't know how tall a trash truck is but it seems at least as tall as the backhoe, so I guess I should be good. If I was smart I'd just start lowering the boom as I pass under them, but I didn't think about that until just this second.