1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How Much Work Can I Expect?

Discussion in 'Forestry Operations' started by Hummed46, Aug 20, 2018.

?

How busy are you?

1. 1-2 jobs every 2 weeks

2. 1-2 jobs per week

3. Working 4 days per week

4. Working 5 days per week

5. Lined up with a waiting list

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Hummed46

Hummed46 Active Member

Hi guys, first post here. Long story short, been operating a few machines for a few years and I'm ready to get in a little deeper. I live in central/southeastern PA and I don't know much about the local market so I'm hoping someone will chime in. I don't want to start calling around trying to get rates or anything underhanded like that so I'm turning to the internet.

I have a close estimate of costs, financing, labor, all that that I'm happy to share with you guys when I get it finished.

The big thing my estimates depend on is just how much work is out there in southeast PA for a one or two man operation with a T770 and mulching head?

I know that's a really vague question...I would be going after small jobs to start...2-3 acre pasture reclaimation, single unimproved lots to be built, trail building...

But the key question is how much work do you guys get? Is it hard to land one or two jobs every couple weeks? Or are you guys seeing 5 days/week every week? One/two guys, truck, trailer, and CTL.

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

2. Hummed46

Hummed46 Active Member

Just a followup to my post, I know I'm going to get the standard answer...It depends. Depends on your area, how hard you hustle, who you know, other competition, etc. I'm just looking for an average so that I can ballpark my growth assumptions and figure out a few different plans forward. Any info is helpful. Thanks in advance...

3. ianjoub

ianjoub Well-Known Member

I am not in the business. I am not in the area. I am a businessman.

I would not try to start a business with such a narrow scope, especially in forestry mulching. Look into how you can get other attachments and offer a variety of services. Have a cash backup. Clientele is built over time. Clientele is likely mostly a word of mouth generated thing. Do good work at a fair price, be able to survive for a few years, and you should be golden.

Get a snow plow or snow blower attachment, it will likely be a better revenue generator than a mulcher.

4. Hummed46

Hummed46 Active Member

Thanks for the insight ianjoub. I personally think specialization breeds efficiency, but I see the merit to your advice. In any case you're farther along than I am so your opinion means something for me.

5. thepumpguysc

thepumpguysc Senior Member

Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
    That's some really good insight there Ian.. I didn't put the 2 n 2 together.. location & equipment..
    Seeing the poster is in PA & their winters are longer than their summers.. a snow attachment is a wonderful idea..
    AND can be a "selling point" when going after new jobs..
    Hummed,>> "oh by the way, when winter hits, I also have a snow thrower that might come in handy on this property"..

6. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Contract logger and cutter
    Answered your own question, if you don't know much about the industry then stay away from it. And never expect work you have to go out and earn the work and hustle for it.

7. Hummed46

Hummed46 Active Member

Thepumpguy...thanks for the response. Good point.

To my original question, how busy are you guys? I posted a survey up top...that would be easier than typing it all out.

8. SpaceDog67

SpaceDog67 Member

sometimes even 7 days per week, depends on how much work needs to be done.