• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How much to reseal some cylinders?

aighead

My backhoe has 2 leaky cylinders: the main big boom one and the secondary, that goes out to the stick. I know that if I try to fix them it will take months, be frustrating, and I may not do it right, so I called a guy.

He was very responsive and friendly but he was also selling me something. I could see this being a good relationship for them to reseal (he claims to do everything to get them back to, basically, new) the cylinders, including removal and reinstall. Claims to rehone if needed etc.

He gave me a price that was higher than I expected but I don't know if it's out of the ordinary.

You guys are pros, what are you paying if you have to pay someone to do it? Again, including removal, rebuild, and reinstall.

Thanks for your input!

cosmaar1

My backhoe has 2 leaky cylinders: the main big boom one and the secondary, that goes out to the stick. I know that if I try to fix them it will take months, be frustrating, and I may not do it right, so I called a guy.

He was very responsive and friendly but he was also selling me something. I could see this being a good relationship for them to reseal (he claims to do everything to get them back to, basically, new) the cylinders, including removal and reinstall. Claims to rehone if needed etc.

He gave me a price that was higher than I expected but I don't know if it's out of the ordinary.

You guys are pros, what are you paying if you have to pay someone to do it? Again, including removal, rebuild, and reinstall.

Thanks for your input!
Last year I took my 555E swing cylinder to a shop and I provided the seals. It was $350 or somewhere around that for the rebuild. Mind you I took the cylinder off the machine and reinstalled it.

This was considered small as the cylinder is only 2 ft long. The bigger ones would be considered large so I would guess my price would double if I had to have them quote it.

skyking1

I just had that mast cylinder redone on the forklift.
They ball honed it and put it back together for me. The price with seals and everything was about 500.
One of the boom cylinders on the excavator cost me closer to 2 grand.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
If I take a smallish cylinder off the machine the labor to tear it down and re seal it would be 300+. If there are issues it will be more. If I just drop the machine off and make them pull the cylinder it would probably add a couple hundred.
A seal kit from Cat is somewhere around $300, but that can vary.

aighead

OK, so we're closish.

I'm learning a lesson with this one. In more ways than one.

I just agreed to pay 3200 bucks to get both of these cylinders done, if I also help with the uninstall and reinstall.

I assume I'm paying a grand or so for a lesson. Getting the job done quickly is worth a fair amount as well.

We'll see how it goes. I asked how I knew it was honed and he said he can send pictures.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Not too bad I don't think. Many discount the actual cost of labor these days even when the task is easy.

Had both swing cylinders rebuilt on my TLB and they were $218.00 with me dropping them off at the rebuilder. They have a load cell and do test their rebuilds thoroughly before sending them back which is included in their price. I never question the cost or why this, or that was replaced as I want the unit to work without compromise. Of course they treat me right as I've been using them over 35 years through two generations of ownership.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
.... I think his prices are steep.
I do this for a living - If I were doing a boom & dipper cyl on a Case hoe - I would have them both done (as long as the glands were not siezed with rust) in around 3-4hrs & without removing the entire cylinders.
Add a little travel time & inc the seals - all under $1k ;)

.... if you offered to help it may cost you a little more :p

Jonas302

3000 is right where I was going to guess for the full job service call costs plenty and no one around here does cyl cheap if they were mine I could reseal them for a hundred or two but thats a long ways away from the full meal deal r+r cylinders and stand behind them

cosmaar1

OK, so we're closish.

I'm learning a lesson with this one. In more ways than one.

I just agreed to pay 3200 bucks to get both of these cylinders done, if I also help with the uninstall and reinstall.

I assume I'm paying a grand or so for a lesson. Getting the job done quickly is worth a fair amount as well.

We'll see how it goes. I asked how I knew it was honed and he said he can send pictures.
Ouch.

I might call around and get another price. I’m doing the crowd cylinder on my 555E in a couple weeks and the kit cost me $70 from CEA. It should take 2 hrs at most to get the cylinder off and maybe 4-5 to fix it. He’s charging you 250 an hour….. maybe I’m in the wrong line of business.

Welder Dave

The boom cylinder will be the most difficult to remove. I spent $1854.00cad. getting the bucket cylinders for my 931B done and that included straightening and re-chroming. I took them off and I think the shop hosed me on the re-chroming and straightening. Apparently Cat cylinders have thicker hard chrome and can be polished more than some other cylinders. If your machine isn't what you make your living with, I doubt you need the barrels honed. If just the rods could be pulled out would save a bunch of money. The stick cylinder isn't too big of a deal to remove if you have to. $3200.00 does sound pretty high. I agree with shopping around.

63 caveman

Some of the case cylinders that I have done have been son of a guns! The glands on the boom and stick cylinders have the tendency to rust and be very difficult to remove (had to heat several something I don't like to do) and the ones with bolt on pistons and nasty to remove as well. My price would be $1000 each on the high side and $500 each on the low side provided the rods are good.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
The man quoted his price, and he says it will be a top quality repair. The only way you will get hosed is if the repair is poor or if he surcharges for things he said were included. If a fellow doesn't like the price, he should do it himself or find somebody with a price he likes.
I get calls like that all the time: "I could rent a machine and do it myself for $$$$" or "Another guy said he will do it for $$$$".

Then go rent your machine or hire the other guy . . .

Vetech63

.... I think his prices are steep.
I do this for a living - If I were doing a boom & dipper cyl on a Case hoe - I would have them both done (as long as the glands were not siezed with rust) in around 3-4hrs & without removing the entire cylinders.
Add a little travel time & inc the seals - all under $1k ;)

.... if you offered to help it may cost you a little more :p
Same for me. $3200.00 is probably a full turn key project. I have to quote the same way. The thing is.........are you going to be charged $3200 regardless of what he does? You may be paying for a simple reseal job with no honing in which that is way overpriced in my opinion.

MG84

Wow, at those prices I’d be broke. Between the backhoe and dozer I think I resealed 12-14 cylinders, using all OEM Case parts, seal kits were $120-150 ea. Takes me about 1hr to reseal one if everything comes apart well. Most cylinders I leave on the machine. I’d learn to do it yourself, its a good skill to have and apparently can save a bunch of money.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Man, that’s too much.
I have seen some of the work you have done on that 580SE and you can do it yourself.
I have done a few already and used Amazon seals, never again.
I have 5 more to do on the hoe and while I wish I had help, gonna just do them myself.
I think I’m going to order the whole kit from Dale and do them a couple at a time.
Right now I just put a gallon of Lucas Hydraulic stop leak and they really aren’t even leaking right now.

Tatersmt

Wow, at those prices I’d be broke. Between the backhoe and dozer I think I resealed 12-14 cylinders, using all OEM Case parts, seal kits were $120-150 ea. Takes me about 1hr to reseal one if everything comes apart well. Most cylinders I leave on the machine. I’d learn to do it yourself, its a good skill to have and apparently can save a bunch of money.
I agree with MG84 and do them yourself. I’m in the process of doing all 12 on my 580C. Its not that bad of a job if you have all the right tools and leave them on the machine if possible. Got all the seal kits (USA made) from Dale at a very reasonable price.

aighead

Thanks guys. I've made the deal with him and after reading through all your posts I feel mostly ok about it. He said he's going to hone regardless.

I think the price is high but the learning experience for me should do wonders. This will help me be less intimidated next time one comes up leaky.

A big concern for me is actually doing it and relatively quickly. I know that I'll leave parts sit around and procrastinate while my wife gets frustrated with me, so this will certainly help that. A happy wife is worth a few hundred bucks.

I really appreciate the input, it helps a big know-nothing, like me, learn!

Delmer

He's taking responsibility for the whole job, that doesn't come cheap.

On the other hand, I'm not worried about putting new seals in the boom and stick cylinders of a 40 year old machine without honing. The gland seals you take out might be in small pieces, it's no mystery why they leaked. Not like an unexpected leaker that you assume was damaged, or a bucket or swing cylinder that is more likely to get the rod scratched.