• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How much to charge rocking driveways?

Parker22

Hello guys I was wondering what some of you charge to haul/spread rock for driveways? I was thinking doubling my costs for a profit margin of 50% was reasonable but that might be too high.

Rock would be picked up form quarry then simply gated on at the particular drive.

What do you guys think?

heavylift

I used to haul rock for oil field roads, There was no extra charge for tailgating or spreading the load. It was just part of selling rock, delivered. there is no real extra labor involved , lots of luck and a little bit of skill:)

I had some delivered a few years back, he had no luck or skill. A roller coaster of a spread, which I did expect a little as there was no running start. But he opened the gate before he even raised the bed. It took two passes to dump the load

Parker22

I used to haul rock for oil field roads, There was no extra charge for tailgating or spreading the load. It was just part of selling rock, delivered. there is no real extra labor involved , lots of luck and a little bit of skill:)

I had some delivered a few years back, he had no luck or skill. A roller coaster of a spread, which I did expect a little as there was no running start. But he opened the gate before he even raised the bed. It took two passes to dump the load

Well I know how its done and all I just don't know how much is reasonable to charge! I gated 32 tons on yesterday on two different drives and with the gate chained to about 3" open 3/4" rock came out at about perfect speed. Didn't gather up anywhere, and I didn't have to drive too slow or fly because it was coming out to fast.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
cant really get anything other than brownie points for tailgating material. I mean it takes what, setting the chains in additional time?

tregurtha

if were tailgating same price but on jobs were customer want levelled and wacked level will and between 60 to 80 percent of stone and depends if need to site my backhoe as well

Parker22

I don't think you guys understand what I am asking. Maybe I worded it wrong.

Here is what I am asking: (simple scenario)

I pick up 8 tons of rock at $10 a ton. I use $20 in fuel to pick up the rock and deliver it to desired driveway. It takes me roughly 2 hours. My costs are $100 we will say.

How much would you charge considering your costs are $100? I was thinking $200 in this particular scenario? ($100 in my pocket after all my costs for the job are done)

I am simply trying to see what a good rate for rocking drive ways is.... A few people have asked me to do so and I don't want to be too high or too low. I have gated our farms drive multiple times as well as a few friends for cheap. I just want to know how much to charge.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Well, dumps usually run by the hr. So you need to determine your hourly rate, and base it off that. For instance I was getting $60 per hr last year for my single axle dump, and $80 for dump and trailer hauling stuff.

The hard part about single axles are if they want more than a load, its in their best interest to get a tandem or a triaxle to deliver it. An expensive trike in my area might be $90 per hr, but he hauls 1 load to my 3, so do the math...

If I didn't need one for hauling equipment and site work, I wouldn't own one.

Parker22

Well I will be using a single axel for the two particular drives I am wanting to do here soon. Both are small enough for one load (well most likely... One doesn't need much rock IMO. But the drive that needs more is very tight and there is a turn I need to make and I do not think I could with a tandem.

We also have a tandem but do not plan to use it on these particular jobs. Maybe in the future if I do more of this work but no need for it now.

I was thinking to quote the job with a profit margin of 50%. For one drive I may need to bring my skid steer to get up close to a garage that is somewhat under a tree. If not it will be a piece of cake and I would almost feel guilty charging double my costs.

I will push some numbers and see what I think is a acceptable hourly rate. $60 like you use would probably be a good number for me to charge.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Well, dumps usually run by the hr. So you need to determine your hourly rate, and base it off that.

That's the best advice so far and how you need to price it. If you think it will take 15-20 mins more per load to tailgate, then figure your rate and add the extra time.

If you have to bring a skid steer in, of course you need to add that as well. Personally, I find it hard to make any money bringing a skid steer out without charging a 4 hour min. This can be difficult to tack on that extra charge for 1 load of stone but it's a cost to you that you need to not only pass on but make profit on.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
I don't think you guys understand what I am asking. Maybe I worded it wrong.

Here is what I am asking: (simple scenario)

I pick up 8 tons of rock at $10 a ton. I use $20 in fuel to pick up the rock and deliver it to desired driveway. It takes me roughly 2 hours. My costs are $100 we will say.

How much would you charge considering your costs are $100? I was thinking $200 in this particular scenario? ($100 in my pocket after all my costs for the job are done)

I am simply trying to see what a good rate for rocking drive ways is.... A few people have asked me to do so and I don't want to be too high or too low. I have gated our farms drive multiple times as well as a few friends for cheap. I just want to know how much to charge.

Parker22--I do this on a fairly regular basis,have for 38 years.First, forget about your costs as they're really irrelevant to what you should charge.If a client asks you to haul expensive rare pretty river stone say with pink swirlys at a cost of $100 per yd.and you're hauling 8 yds. doesn't mean you can charge $800 for your delivery fee.Go by what you want per hr. for your truck and then add on a little more for the "only 1 time gig" if you catch my drift.I get $75 per hr. for my 8yd truck--my minimum delivery charge is $100.That is figured roughly from shop to gravel bank to client, then back to shop.Now for spreading, you are providing a huge time saving and back saving service for that client.Don't be a schmuck and be Mr. nice guy here and not charge.I get $3 a yard to lay down a nice mat of stone or item # 4.I've never had a single complaint. Hope this helps.

Jim Dandy

with $4 fuel I am charging $65hr for my tandem dump that scales 14 tons. Also you can call the quarry and they will tell you how much they will charge to deliver stone based on the distance from the quarry. Then you can charge the same and I think it would be hard for someone to think you overcharged them.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
remember parker, the load of stone can be the door opener for alot more work, so even if you don't make a killin on the stone, your getting your name out to someone who has money to spend on their property.

heavylift

One other thing, make DOUBLE sure your client knows the difference between fill dirt and topsoil :) We has a guy once that order 2 loads of fill dirt, " dump on flags in front yard" The office got a call from a really upset guy. This stuff won't grow weeds"
the office didn't get enough info... our fill dirt was for fill, not to grow grass... don't know the outcome.

Most quarries here are a 2 hour round trip, then there is the busy times, where you may set for up to thirty minutes at the quarry waiting to get loaded.

Parker22

Well guys I am thinking I will probably charge $60 per hour. ( Single axel dump truck that hauls 8-9 ton depending how full it gets filled ). If the tandem is used I will probably charge $75 per hour. I think this sounds fair and is in line with a lot of other people. I am just getting started doing work for other people. (I am 21 and I just bought a FL70 with a 10' dump, and a Deere 320D Skid) my father and uncle have done this type of work on and off for years (their primary occupation is farming). I have about half a dozen jobs lined up already one of which is pretty substantial. I can use their Deere 410G if I need, probably for free as well. I am very excited to start working!

I am also thinking $60/hr for skid steer jobs. We just finished up a demolition job and only charged $45 a hr for the skid, but that was because the backhoe was primarily used, and we did not want to go over our bid.

RCS

I have Tri Axle can haul approx 22 tns cost for crush is $7.50 tn usually I price crush at 16.50 tn delivered. Usually no more than hour to hour half turn around as basic. and longer distances add accordingly sound like it runs about the same as the guys by the hr. maybe little less if longer time getting loaded i guess.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Well guys I am thinking I will probably charge $60 per hour. ( Single axel dump truck that hauls 8-9 ton depending how full it gets filled ). If the tandem is used I will probably charge $75 per hour. I think this sounds fair and is in line with a lot of other people. I am just getting started doing work for other people. (I am 21 and I just bought a FL70 with a 10' dump, and a Deere 320D Skid) my father and uncle have done this type of work on and off for years (their primary occupation is farming). I have about half a dozen jobs lined up already one of which is pretty substantial. I can use their Deere 410G if I need, probably for free as well. I am very excited to start working!

I am also thinking $60/hr for skid steer jobs. We just finished up a demolition job and only charged $45 a hr for the skid, but that was because the backhoe was primarily used, and we did not want to go over our bid.

You will find that clients will want/ demand a set fixed price on any simple aggregate delivery.If you have to wait for 30 minutes at the gravel bank to get loaded or have an hour wait in traffic from an accident and the clock is ticking for the client,good luck trying to get paid.As I told you,base your delivery fee on yo ur hourly rate shop to shop,pad it a little for some hiccups here and there, and the 1 time only factor.I get out a map and circle a radius from my shop for figuring the minimum charging($100 delivery fee),then if its out to say another 15 minutes travel time,then it will be slightly more and so on.

Davvinciman

Occupation
Operating engineer and business owner
Simple but works

Don't take this as advice on bidding a "real" job where you have to factor complicated costs (I can't believe I'm saying this), but my brother-in-law used to figure a job with his time (the time HE could do it in; he was fast) and material figured in (he paid for the material so he didn't waste it), he would double that and add 20%. He only added the 20% for the small mistakes that could arise. After figuring most of my costs in running an operated heavy equipment rental business and being a contractor later, this formula has "almost" always guaranteed me I would make a profit I could live with though most of the time with the rental business I stayed a little below the going rate of bigger business because my overhead was always lower. It sure made me laugh at the time, though.

Last edited:

Stevenbrla

Parker... Great question, and one that you will (or should) constantly review in your head.

All of us want to maximize profits, have happy and repeat customers. Of course, those three things usually conflict, and make for a great argument going on in your head (and on an internet forum, or at a dinner table, or in a bar room.)

In my opinion, First, you've gotta create a enough business to make a living. Lower margins, more work. When you're starting off, that's probably what you've gotta do.

As business picks up, and you get more driveway jobs, and some other things that might pay better... you ease your prices up to suit your demands. No need to go do a discounted driveway when you have something better to do. Although, you can do a better job advertising (even for free) and actually charge more. (That's the goal in my biz.)

What margins are correct will depend on that old supply/demand thing. If there's plenty of commercial/industrial work in your area, a homeowner is going to have to pay more for your time.

Detective work in your area will determine your real answer.

The amount to charge is "what the market will bear." (and then make sure you made some money... if not... do something else!)

Good luck!!

Last edited: