• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

how much overhang is too much

farm

G'day all, I've got a pc220-5 digger and currently dont have a way to move it around, it was delivered to us on a hyd widening $100k float and Im not sure I can quite justify spending that sort of coin on a trailer for an old farm excavator. Given the pc220-5 is 2.98 with meters wide with .6m wide track pads and most standard drop decks or floats a 2.5m wide is there enough track on the deck to keep it there with the normal amount of chains and binders? Or do we need to extend the trailer's width a little?
Any advice appreciated

Steve

Deeretracks

Occupation
Shop Foreman
You should be just fine, I like to keep at least the track chain sitting on the deck. If 1/3 of the pad is hanging off I'm not concerned. We move our Zx225's & Zx245's on a 8Ft-6in deck w/o flipping out the wing boards.

farm

how wide is a zx245? that sounds fairly wide for a standard deck? if that works ok I think I should be alright

steve

gkenworth

Occupation
HD Mechanic / heavy haul truck driver
Just a note. It's commonly not the drive on/off a narrow trailer that the excavator slips off, its the momentum when a fellow slows down the house after spinning around to lay the boom back down towards the back. Slow & Steady.
2014-04-26 Hitache 470 wo bucket_wm.jpg