• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

.how much mould board below the bolts?

coastlogger

I have a 1991champion 740 a that I bought a couple of years ago to maintain about 6 miles of gravel road.it had a couple of inches of available cutting edge when I bought it that's now worn down to less than an inch. When look at the
Mould board I see it's been worn off some in the past. I'm fact at its most worn point it is just about even with the washers on the bolts holding cutting edge on.other areas it's an inch from the washers.question is if I put on new 8 inch edges will this work?seems there'd be a lot of extra force on bolts .I'm not sure how much Mould board is supposed to be there.anyone have thoughts on this?

Jonas302

Yes it will work out usually older blades are worn in the middle we have spots where the nuts barely cover the frog and get thicker from there as long as its not weak all the way across it wont give any trouble

DB2

Clean everything up really well and retorque after a couple of shifts. We use hardened washers to help spread the load.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
As mentioned, you should be fine. Just pay attention to this and don't contribute to this failure. I have zero patience for an operator that is too lazy or don't care enough to rotate or replace cutting edges when they are wearing into the frog. No excuse for that. At all.

If you buy a new set of cutting edges, with only 6 miles of roadway to maintain, you'll be many, many years down the road before you will wear them into the frog. Rotate, rotate, rotate. :)

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
As mentioned, you should be fine. Just pay attention to this and don't contribute to this failure. I have zero patience for an operator that is too lazy or don't care enough to rotate or replace cutting edges when they are wearing into the frog. No excuse for that. At all.

If you buy a new set of cutting edges, with only 6 miles of roadway to maintain, you'll be many, many years down the road before you will wear them into the frog. Rotate, rotate, rotate. :)
l rotate mine once the middle is worn 1/2-3/4" more than the outside. The trick to reducing wear is don't take wide blows over a crown. Narrow multiple passes will also help mix the material better.

shaggs

Occupation
grader operator/leading hand
if your cutting edges are 7 foot long i cut them in half , the cut will go thru the middle of a bolt hole . i do the same with serrated blades , cut is thru a tooth and bolt hole .have never bent or broken the half width tooth even in some fairly harsh conditions . The reason i cut them is i'm usually by my self and it makes it so much easier to do. Also you can swap the pieces around to keep your edges straight . Haven't had issues with bolt coming loose at cut hole just make sure cutting edge and mouldboard are clean on mounting surfaces.

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
Yes cutting edges must be made out lead these days ! Seem to be a lot heavier now than when I was in my 20's:rolleyes:

Last edited:

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Yes cutting edges must be made out lead these days ! Seem to be a lot heavier now than when I was in my 20's:rolleyes:

I hear ya. Same with tire chains. I used to hoss em up on there. Now I hook one end into the tire lug and let the grader pull them up on the tire. :)