• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How much leakage is acceptable?

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I'm wondering how much or fast a track tensioner backing off is acceptable? I'm told it tensions right back up but it's been too long since continuous use to gauge how long it will hold track tension. Definitely goes several days before needing attention I'm told.

Getting ready to fetch and bring home and wanting to address anything needed shortly afterward.

Thanks,

skyking1

I'd run it and see for myself. Different usage puts different stresses on them, so it is really subjective.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Just for reference we only have to adjust ours for track wear. Last winter re-sealed both on the D5G as it would leak down over a 24 hour period. Not too bad considering it was the factory seals dating back to 2004.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Track tensioners should not leak down at all. They usually leak when the undercarriage is worn out and the tension cylinders are extended to the end of their stroke.

1693TA

Occupation
Thanks. By the track gauge I have about 15% wear in the u/c since replacement. I can find nothing in the service records relating to anything on the tension cylinders so assume them original from 1975. Seller tells me he never ran them loose but didn't really keep any track of how often he pumped the right track up. A couple of shots every now and then is how it was referenced. Both sides measure very close to each other, so not run loose I'd think.

The tractor is no stranger to a grease gun and I've purchased a Milwaukee M18 series along with two "Lock N Lube", (deep and extended reach) locking grease chucks to continue the tradition. Now knowing this tensioner leaking off is not normal, I'll get it addressed.

Thanks kindly

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
It is common practice to rebuild the adjuster cylinders when the undercarriage is replaced.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Thanks. By the track gauge I have about 15% wear in the u/c since replacement. I can find nothing in the service records relating to anything on the tension cylinders so assume them original from 1975. Seller tells me he never ran them loose but didn't really keep any track of how often he pumped the right track up. A couple of shots every now and then is how it was referenced. Both sides measure very close to each other, so not run loose I'd think.

The tractor is no stranger to a grease gun and I've purchased a Milwaukee M18 series along with two "Lock N Lube", (deep and extended reach) locking grease chucks to continue the tradition. Now knowing this tensioner leaking off is not normal, I'll get it addressed.

Thanks kindly

Be very careful with air or battery powered grease guns on track tensioners as they can blow the seals out. As a general rule we only use manual guns.

Reactions: DB2

1693TA

Occupation
Be very careful with air or battery powered grease guns on track tensioners as they can blow the seals out. As a general rule we only use manual guns.

Thanks. I purchased the Milwaukee as it has a measured stroke feature that works well. Set it for five pumps as example and it only strokes five times. you can also hear the motor load change as the pressure comes up. It ceases pumping immediately when the trigger is released. Really is easy and precise to use. In the several times I've used it lubricating rod ends and such, I find it as controllable as a manual gun; but a lot faster.

Thanks for the tip as in years past I've just went fore and aft with the tractor and draped a straight edge across the points pumping the track adjuster to proper sag of the track. planning to do the same here as the u/c is not worn out.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
The Milwaukee's are great guns. We have 3 of them and they've almost replaced our air greasers.

1693TA

Occupation
I have a three air powered grease guns. One Lincoln, one Graco, and a Balcrank mounted on a rolling drum. Used to do the Quik-Lube thing in the shop on trucks and trailers using a lot of grease and oils. The powerful cordless Milwaukee is very nice. I have a "Plews" manual gun and mount bracket I'll mount on the dozer just to have it there.

ugis

I've been using a Milwaukee M18 grease gun for about 3-4 years now and I've replaced 3 Pump Body/Gearcase Assembly (100-150€ each)
It is a very good device until one of the lubrication points is "stuck" and you try to move it with pressure.

Now trying DeWalt DCGG571M1-QW. Almost the same as the one produced by Milwaukee, but it has a big plus - an overpressure valve. Other than that, I like Milwaukee a lot better.

1466IH

To h**l with that lol. After a reseal how many pumps does it take to tighten a track again? Have a 120lb keg with a Graco fireball and 50' hose reel on the truck. I'm not even sure if I own a working manual gun anymore lol

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
To h**l with that lol. After a reseal how many pumps does it take to tighten a track again? Have a 120lb keg with a Graco fireball and 50' hose reel on the truck. I'm not even sure if I own a working manual gun anymore lol

Have at it's your seals..

1466IH

Have at it's your seals..
Im not doubting you but I have rebuilt hundreds of track adjusters and have never blown out a seal assuming the seals are good and the chrome isn't pitted or scratched. If they do blow out while adjusting I would say they are in need of replacing to begin with. I have never put a gauge on one too see what kind of pressure spikes occur while operating but I bet it is a lot higher than any grease gun could produce. I don't think that the cat factory has a bunch of people running around with manual guns to tighten every track they install.

1693TA

Occupation
Am I correct in assuming unless you're undercarriages just Plum worn out you will never reach full stroke of the tensioning cylinders?

1693TA

Occupation
Thanks. I can see the idler support is way past where it should be due to wear. That would have to be hard on the roller frame.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Im not doubting you but I have rebuilt hundreds of track adjusters and have never blown out a seal assuming the seals are good and the chrome isn't pitted or scratched. If they do blow out while adjusting I would say they are in need of replacing to begin with. I have never put a gauge on one too see what kind of pressure spikes occur while operating but I bet it is a lot higher than any grease gun could produce. I don't think that the cat factory has a bunch of people running around with manual guns to tighten every track they install.

You have to remember we have members here that are new to heavy equipment that haven't rebuilt 100's of cylinders that may want to tighten their tracks up, so a little word of caution is in order from time to time.;)

Bluox

You have to remember we have members here that are new to heavy equipment that haven't rebuilt 100's of cylinders that may want to tighten their tracks up, so a little word of caution is in order from time to time.;)
You do realize it only takes a few hundred pounds of grease pressure to adjust a track.
Bad Bob