• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How much grease is too much?

IFSL

"I need Grease to Live" that sticker is on every one of my machines. However, my guys all know that they dont need to push a whole tube of grease into a single fitting. I normally go through about a tube of grease every 2 days per machine ( depending on size) one to two squirts in each spot... just enough to add what was lost the day prior working.

annie89

Banned
i have recently bought a wheel loader and i want to ask one questions that it is necessary to grease a machine everyday.

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
Weekly bath

I agree the fittings need to be greased on a regular maintenance. But I hate to come up on a machine where every thing you touch gets grease all over you. :usa

The practice of a washdown with a pressure washer at the end of the week will alieviate that problem & also help in spotting cracks/problems before they become a major issue ;)

Colorado Digger

I have always over greased. as to where the stuff is just dripping off the tractors. now, we grease tuesday and thursday. if it just normal work. if the are digging hard all day every day then they need to do the bucket pins daily. i prefer the valvoline crimson by the way.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
I'm definitely an over greaser,but my machines are never slathered in grease.I try and clean up as I go if there's time.I use Schaeffer's grease with moly,great stuff,it seems like on some pivot points the grease actually makes a ''seal'' so you don't need as much.

Strange that when Cat lowers the dump bodies on their off-road trucks,they assemble the huge rear pivot pins with absolutely no grease whatsoever,just a big guy with a large sledgehammer pounding them in.Saw it on TV.

FarmerAlex

Occupation
Engineer (AT UNI), Heavy equipment owner/ operator
Gday all, on the farm i work at we spray the seeders and hay equipment with a 50/50 mix of engine oil and diesel. The main purpose is to prevent rust and if something breaks all of the bolts and plates are free. For my equipment i grease universals, every 8 hours, plain bearings and others joints get greased every 16 hours. All pins have oil squirted over the area to reduce the induction of water near the joint.

I use ROCOL lithium based grease for my equipment

Alex :D

JDOFMEMI

The practice of a washdown with a pressure washer at the end of the week will alieviate that problem & also help in spotting cracks/problems before they become a major issue ;)

I agree that the best practice is a good wash on a regular schedule. Problem I have is that the eco nazis won't allow us to wash anything on 9 out of 10 jobs. Stuff ends up a mess because of it.

Some places allow us to wash, with a lined containment area, but by the time we get to one of those places, the iron is beyond filthy most of the time.

rabbit

Occupation
Plumbing and Exavation Contractor

Ok, I agree just not near washdown facilities that often.
:):usa