• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How much can be an undercarriage?

mflah87

Occupation
owner of excavating company
I have a Cat D8L and when I did the undercarriage, it was $70,000 for everything. I sent it to Cat. Someone I know has a 1970 era Cat D8 with the same track style as that, it cost them something like $40,000 for the undercarriage at Cat. All depends on whats worn out.

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
A few years back, we did a complete u/c on a Cat D9H. Parts alone were $45K-$50K + 2 weeks of hard labor in 110 deg. Indio heat + lotsa :drinkup .
Safety first :thumbsup . Gotta stay hydrated :cool2

Attachments

• FXCD0006.JPG
    FXCD0006.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,388

nedly05

We did our old JD 350 about 15 years ago and I think it was like 12 grand. I think I'll stick to the little ones:eek:

Deas Plant

The Price Difference

Hi, Junior.
Yes there might well be $70,000 to $100,000 of track work needed on the CHEAP(?) but that is NOT the whole story. The second, more expensive, machine looks pretty much as if it could go to work tomorrow and actually survive a day or two. Just how long do you think the first one would last without major dollars being poured into it? And the second one also has ripper as part of the package - not only handier but more re-saleable.

These old bangers had one engine but the power was split in half and fed to separate drive trains. This allowed it it do spin turns. It still had normal clutch and brake crawler steering, but with one steering clutch control pulled right back, you could depress a pedal on the floor under your left foot and put that track into reverse. Imagine a 70 ton machine turning like a Bobcat.

Still and all, it hardly set the market on fire. Many claimed they would out-rip a Cat D10 84W series. I don't know. I never saw the two ripping side by side. But I'll bet there's not nearly as many of them running today as there are D10 84W's.

oldhousehugger

price of parts and location, location, location

Hey All
I just replaced all 12 of the track rollers on my little Komatsu D20. Found chinese made after market rollers for $85 US each. Works much better now. Took me about 12 hours with cheater bars and 22 MM sockets to change them all laying in the dirt. By the way I found the rollers at HeavyQuip inc.
Earlier I welded mild steel grouser bars onto the old swamp pads to get a little scratch. Made a huge difference in power transfer.
Got the 20 year old machine from an importer for about $10,000. So far have added grouser bars, replaced radiator, all filters and fluid change, and of course the rollers. After trucking about 100 miles we've got close to $12,000 in it not counting my time.

I found cheaper machines further away but at $3.00 a loaded mile for trucking, distance is your enemy.

On the plus side I have dug 2 ponds, cleared an acre of woods and regraded 8 acres of swampy ground.
Equipment rental alone would have been prohibitive. Hiring the work done would have been also. I hope resale of the machine when we are done will be close to what we have in it.

Trick is you have to be able to work on the things yourself or maintanance will eat you up.

Back to Juniors question. One machine was in Ohio and the other was in Russian. Value all depends on where you are and what resources you have.

Attachments

• d20 in pond1small.JPG
    d20 in pond1small.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 1,151
  • d20 with new rollers small.JPG
    d20 with new rollers small.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,202

Deas Plant

Shady Tree Workshops

Hi, Oldhousehugger.
Welcome to the forum. Good Info. Thanks for sharing.

I have done one or two repairs in the old Shady Tree Workshop - and one or two where, like your photo, there wasn't even a that level of workshop accommodation and facilities.

That little jigger doesn't look too bad at all in those photos. Thanks for posting.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF oldhousehugger! :drinkup

Deas Plant

Grouser bar replacement

Hi, Machineman.
If you re-read Oldhousehugger's post you may see that he says he welded on mild steel bar for his grouser re-build. He didn't say if he used grouser bar stock or not but grouser bar stock is not usually mild steel. If it IS mild steel and he keeps working in relatively soft going like in his photo, he may get reasonable 'mileage' out of it.

The best CHEAP material that I have come across for this purpose is deformed concrete re-bar. You do lose the top 1/3 fairly quickly as the curve wears off but the remainder seems to last quite well, unless you put it into hard rock which will tear almost any rebuild material off anyway.

Countryboy

Occupation
Ummm.......can I plead the 5th? :D

Hi Deas, Its currently 9:46 PM in my neck of the woods. Since I work the night shift (5:00 pm-4:00am), the night is still young.

Countryboy

Occupation
Yeah, I don't have a personal computer so I got to do what I have to, to feed my addiction. :D

And no, my job doesn't suffer. Most of my time is spent waiting for this stupid bin to fill up with rock. :rolleyes: I'm at 53% to full........30 more min. :sleeping

oldhousehugger

Grouser bars

If you read up on track pads and grouser bar you quickly see that the steel they use is very high in manganese. Manganese in high concentrations causes parkinson like symptoms and permanent brain damage. To wit I chose mild steel 1 x 1/2 inch bar stock. Cheap easy to weld and low in manganese. I welded it on with 7018 5/32 rod. If I had had a bigger welder I could have used bigger rod and higher heat but as it was some of the swamp pads bowed up at the ends. I skipped every 4th pad to see if I would get a little more bite because the machine is so light already. As it was there was about 240 linear feet of weld. Took me 2 days of welding not counting buying the steel and cutting it into 24 inch pieces.
I read in an old book Moving the Earth by Herbert L. Nichols (1955) that early cat owners would weld on just a couple wide bars per track when they were working in mud. I figured that skipping a bar every so often would have the same effect and make the ride a lot better.
I am here in central texas where we have only clay and more clay. Not very abrasive and very slick when wet. The mild steel grousers show some wear after 100 hours use but only from contact with an occasional rock.
I have heard that people use rebar, but I needed the extra height / surface area because thats what creates more bite.
The tracks load up with mud anyway but it's 100% better than polished round swamp pads.

The other drawback with this old machine I've got is the wide blade is designed for finish grading of loose material. Clay has one of the highest coefficients of friction of any soil type. Couple that with it not being loose and fryable and clay is very power intensive to dig up. Once piled up I can move 3 or 4 yards ahead of me over dry ground. A narrower blade would be better for digging for the weight of this machine but it's what I've got so it's what I use.