• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How many here know how to do this?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
No video but I did one time put a empty 773 Cat haul truck into a full drift on a haul road and managed to pull it out just fine. Those rear brakes were not designed for wet gravel roads with no weight in the box!

Vetech63

My good wife whom i depend on these days for transport until my licence is reinstated wont use the mirrors to back the car up.I mentioned the mirrors today and was told in an aggressive loud voice not to be a back seat driver. :(I shouldnt complain but it makes me crazy,just had to get it off my chest.
Tell her not to be a side seat rider when she gets into bed tonight.

skyking1

No video but I did one time put a empty 773 Cat haul truck into a full drift on a haul road and managed to pull it out just fine. Those rear brakes were not designed for wet gravel roads with no weight in the
My drift was in a John Deere 400 articulated truck. It was slow speed but fun.
It was snowing and cold the day I got in that truck, the previous driver and I met on a reverse camber haul road 3 way corner, and he was not successful. I was in a 300 and saw he was out of his depth and let off, and there he went, sideways out of control loaded and off into the brush and stumps. The look in his eyes was priceless.
After lunch he started doing something else with another piece of iron, and I got the 400 :D

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I was about 19 or so when I managed to put an Oshkosh mixer into a full drift. Empty truck on a public road in the snow. The truck had super singles and I wasn't particularly experienced at that time . . . I didn't intend to start the drift, but once it got going it was generally conducive to where I was trying to go so naturally my 19 year old foot stayed in it. I was probably pretty fortunate none of the witnesses called dispatch.

skyking1

the guys at the Centrailia Coal plant would drift the old Wabco two engine scrapers by hammering the rear throttle a bit in the right conditions, and wave the can at each other on the haul roads. Nothing I ever saw but the catskinner I worked with was believable.
EPSON003.jpg

chidog

I never liked getting stuck in the articulated off road trucks, on one job for a quick turn around I just started drifting the rear end around, to back up to get loaded. Worked good, rental of course.
The loading guy that didn't want to drive the truck either, then wanted to trade positions.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Working SLC back in the day watched Garrett and Pig Iron boys backing triples with yard mules. Once the yard workers got the hang were tough to beat as far as stacking and positioning doubles/triples. On the KS Toll Roads used t see B Trains of 40 and 45 footer van trailers, roadies could get them point a to b but was nobody backing them up.

Old Doug

I never liked getting stuck in the articulated off road trucks, on one job for a quick turn around I just started drifting the rear end around, to back up to get loaded. Worked good, rental of course.
The loading guy that didn't want to drive the truck either, then wanted to trade positions.
I run 740s one winter i think as far as stuff with tires goes there are very few things that did better in the mud. Some how i was the last truck out of the yard every night so if we started a new cut and had to go a different way i was the first to try it. One night we started a new deal i was never on this site during the day so i had no ideal about anything just if i found a road try to go the way that seemed right. I got loaded drove down the road came to a road that went the way i needed to go but it was pitch black out couldnt see down it very far so i drove on and found a way back to the stock pile. I dumped head back to loaded i think 10 trucks running that night . I heared on the CB some one was stuck . The truck behind me turned on that road it was a dead end . He was stuck put had backed up a truck length. A D6 went to get him and backed up side ways in his ruts stood it almost strait up in the air . Had to have a track hoe pull the D6 back down earth to earth then unload the 740 and pull it free.

Tugger2

The Hostlers were masters at backing B trains onto the rail ferry next to my old yard . sometimes you would see 2 of them side by side ,im sure there were racing backwards.Funny enough they always wanted me to be there to drive my truck cranes on and off when we shipped them on the barge. The best was when the barge came in with a load of new cars on deck for all the local dealers. At night every car burnt rubber coming off the barge. First miles were tough ones.

Old Doug

I had drove a truck some but i got a job at a place that had 2 trucks on the road and some junkers on the place but they had 20 trailers and sold portable stuff mounted on their own trailers. It wasnt a flat square place it was on the side of a hill with stuff every were i got pretty good backing up. This leads me to think it was a good experence because i wasnt going down the road backing up once a day i was backing up every time i got in the truck sometimes several times a day. I am not the greatest driver or backer but i can often remember something i did at one time and it will help me out. Something that i saw and cant under stand is there was a guy come to work there to drive he was the real deal he needed to work a short time before he could retire . He ask me to help adjust the mirrors on his truck that truck had a dozen guys drive it and this was a first. It took some time to get them just were he wanted them i was getting tired of it but i was by the hour. I got in that truck one day after he retired and realised i didnt know any thing about adjusting mirrors . I wish i would have ask him some quiestions about mirrors.