• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How long to get a permit?

RT Engineering

Occupation
Owner
Hey everyone,

We have people from all over the country, well for that matter the world.

I was just wondering how the permit process is handled in different parts of the world. I have heard(lived) horror stories, and rumors of 'No permits required'. So, How long, and what does it cost to get a grading permit where you live and work?

In some parts of southern California (Malibu for example) the process will take at least five years, and you would not believe the amount of paper that is wasted in this process. For submittal to the Coastal Comission they want fifteen complete copies of the plans each time. The soils and geology reports for a single family house could easily go over $10,000. The Surveying, and Civil Engineering are, usually a little more depending on the project. The process can be speeded up a little by an expiditer, but they are very expensive also.

For the last few years they have started a 'Pre Job Meeting'. It used to be a joke except on the big jobs, but I can remember several times, calling the grading inspector, verifing with him we finally had a permit. He would say, 'Get started, I'll stop by in the next week or so.' Life used to be simple didn't it? Now everybody needs to attend the 'Pre job meeting', the owner, surveyor, engineer, geologist, soils engineer, General contractor, Grading contractor, environmental consultants, etc. I once asked if we needed a Captain, priest, and a bartender. You can tell I am not that fond of these meetings. Are these meetings everywhere?

Ok so let's hear the horror stories. Or make us envious with the easy no permit required stories.

Later,

RT

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Wow RT that sucks!:eek: 5 years for a grading permit?:Banghead There is no way I can top that - I guess I will be in the "make me envious" group although it can still be aggravating.

I work in several Cities and unincorporated counties and it varies quite a bit. One city requires a performance bond for all improvements, which can get quite expensive and another city, after meeting with the Mayor says "as long as you own the property - get to work".

Grading permits, erosion permits and bonds vary from one municipality/county to the next. A recent permit in one of the larger cities for a 20 acre, 26 lot subdivision, moving 20K CY of material cost $12k. In another city the grading permit was $540 - for 500 lots and 1M CY of dirt moved (that was the "get to work" city).:beatsme

The county in which I live does not require a grading permit for subdivision development although an extensive review of the prelimanary plat is required and this can take several weeks. A bond for the final wear course, retention pond maintenance and curbing/sidewalks is all that is needed. I have projects in 5 municipalities and 2 unincorporated county jurisdictions. Around my neck of the woods you really need to do your homework on a project since there is so much irregularity in the requirements/ordinances.

If everyone doesn't mind let me get on my :soapbox for a minute. The local cities have way to much power over our livelyhoods. Law/rule making at the State and National level require alot of time, thought and input. Cities on the other hand can hold a council meeting, present an ordinance, pass it and all of the sudden many people are affected with little input from the public/industry. Furthermore, unelected and virtually untouchable bureaucrats within the City Hall can make new rules/regulations without any input or repercussions. Sure you can challenge it in a lawsuit, but after 2-5 years in the legal system you can have the comfort of winning while you try to stay warm in your cardboard mansion.

BTW - great topic.

PSDF350

When you say grade do you mean like regrading a driveway or road? Or putting them in? I dont work in the dirt except to put in a hual road and landing in for log trucks to get in. And I just do it. But I know in california you need to jump through hoops and spend like 50k for a environmental impact study bla bla bla bla then get in there several years later and many lawsuites later. So no what you go through is not normal except in CA. Ever notice all the rest of the country buys a truck, car, bulldozer, or what have you, the motors are set up one way? Then there is the CA motor.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
RT - tell us more about the permit expeditor?