• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

how is your 11r holding up?

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
now i can say ive been promoted, from the 9r back to the d11, prob. just till oct. since its been 6 months since ive run it it now has almost 10,000 hrs on it. 5/24 operation hrs rack up fast. seems to have lost some power,i have a hard time keeping her out of the red on hot days, unless im pushing with the wind to my back then the temp stays pretty reasonable, if i have to push into the wind, it makes for a long day, for both of us. just wondering if any one out there is having these probs or if you have tried anything that works? cat man says the 3508b{ im pretty sure thats whats in it } goes to **** after 10,000 hrs, he said the same engine in the haul trucks last forever but in the 11 after 10,000 they fall apart, time will tell if hes right.

OilFieldHand

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
pressure wash your radiator cores, the little fins fill up with dirt. It will make all the difference in the world, you wont be able to get it hot then. Take your time and it will work fine. Blow them out from the back (engine side) and the front.

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
it gets pressure washed everyother weekend, blown out with air twice a week, new air filters, new thermostats, radiator flushes you name it weve tried it, the pit we moved to on friday we will be pushing towards the west which is where the prevailing winds come from here in wyo, at least a constant breeze, so ill have to push into the wind for a month and half.

mntman552

11R heating up

All of our 11R's like to heat up when it gets hot out. Think they put a different style radiator in most of them and that helps out alot. Make sure that your fan pump pressure is running about 1400 psi. when the engine temp gets close to the red. I think that is about how high it is supposed to run when it gets up there.

Dozer575

Banned
Occupation
Machinist and occasional pt Dozer oper
And always check and make sure the temp gauge is reading correctly.

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
they finally figured it out it was the fan pressure, another fancy sillynoid wasnt letting the fan run at full pressure. now our d11 is a good machine again.

cr500

637slayer. Yes, the 11R is a good machine but they were known to have overheating issues sometimes in hot climates (fixed in D11T). You can get high ambient temperature radiator cores for them and cores which reduce plugging.

As usual, it was bloody electrics causing the problem.

xterrahawk

Occupation
entreprenuer, Developer
all the filters, radiator, fans etc etc should be cleaned daily and not weekly ull be amazed how much garbage gets in places u dunt even imagine. changing filters isnt always the answer if you keep repeating the cycle of working and not maintinaing the machines properly. get a compressor wit more the 1000 psi bluw on it everything and ull see how good that machine is goign to work

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
well i hope that i dont jinx it but i think that we are going to get the 12,000 hrs on our d11r, she is scheduled for a big trip to the doctor at 12000 for a rebuild. after all the cooling probs we had last summer had me worried but with the cold weather hitting she has been running like a top, she is sitting at 11600. any others out their running an 11, or working on one? just wondering about your maintanence schedule, besides the scheduled pms we put new tracks on at 6000 and then the big rebuild at 12000, pretty much just stick to the cat service guidelines.

Haul-Pak

Ah D11R's + Over heating = Normal

The Aux water pump's can become weak over time.

The D11T's arnt really any better TBH, C32 is ok but can suffer Overheating as well even in -25's.

3516HD can last 20'000's as I know this first hand.

any others out their running an 11, or working on one?

D11R's, D11T's and a shed load of D10T's.

I dont know about PM's

The Tracks last a while (Unsure about hr's) They normally change them at 32mm grouser height.
They get new grousers welded on hence the 32mm or 1 1/4 limmit.

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
the first 3000 hrs went really well even in 95 + degree weather all temps would run normal all day long, after that it was a constant struggle, i would have hoped the t models would have addressed this issue, its just such an impressive earth mover when they run right, its slowly turned into the backbone of our operation, on paper anyway, the amount of dirt it moves looks really good on paper.

alco

They all seem to lose power as time goes by. We just got a new/used (new to us, but used since we are waiting for our new Ts to show up and this one came available with only 4125 hours on it) machine last week, and it has so much more power than our next newest machine that it's not even funny. Of course, our next newest machine has around 26000 hours on it now. We run the snot out of pretty much everything we have, and it shows over time. Overheating is an issue for sure, but for us, most of the time it's just wear and such that cause the problems.

Brian

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
We were having a real hard time with a D9N (i know this is about a D11!) overheating this summer. After blowing out the radiator, flushing the radiator, cleanin the oil coolers blah, blah blah. An old master mechanic we have checked out the fan and crank and all the other pullys up there. They were so wore out that the belts would flip over and slip, thus causeing the over heating trouble. We replaced al the pullys and belts, and never had another problem.
Jason

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
I agree with the pulleys ,plus a few other things that need done when they do a rebuild.

Not a D11,a D6H

Replaced the pulley,replaced the engine oil coolet( the honey cone tubes) get plugged over time.They can be rodded and cleaned,but sometimes will fail,leak oil into the water.

Replaced the transmisson oils cooler,for same reason above.Ever notice with engine heats convertor usual heats,as the opposite also convertor heats then engine heats both go hand in hand,in turn making everything get worse.

Also replaced waterpump.

There are different radiator cores also.I replaced mine with the coarse fin style that they use in the trash dumps.Let the grass and weeds and other stuff throw better.

Then there is the convertor,which i also went through at the same time.Day and night difference now.I know that is a lot of stuff,but you did say complete rebuild right! My machine had 16,000 hours on it when i did it.Good luck:usa

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
If hydraulic fan as i think the 11 has the pulleys won't be the problem:D:usa

alco

I'll see if I have time to grab some pictures of our 11s after Christmas. I only have one more night shift and then I'm off till the 30th. The D11R I was on last night calved. The mechanics were pretty sure the lift pump in the fuel system went south for the winter, but they got it going long enough to load it on the float to get it into the shop. That was after I spent 2 hours waiting for their verdict in the cold on a -28 degree night. I love the winter!

Brian

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
ive posted some of the 11 that i run awhile ago, one when she was brand new on the rail car, another after we put on the guard rails and new fuel tank, pretty good pics too, they are under my rides in the dozers.
Alco i noticed you said they loaded your 11 on a float? ide like to see pics of that, what do they pull it with? ive got one more night also, lots of snow last night, havnt seen -28 yet. merry x-mas

Last edited: