1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

How high can it go

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by Shimmy1, Apr 30, 2022.

1. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

I've heard from oil industry experts here locally that diesel could hit 8 bucks a gallon before the summer is over. I'll be staying home alot

MarshallPowerGen, DMiller and mg2361 like this.
  2. doublewide

doublewide Senior Member

516A8B09-77D5-4111-8554-60BD1774326B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2022
    DMiller likes this.
  3. Mike L

Mike L Senior Member

Self employed field mechanic
    I paid 6.24 yesterday and 6.34 today.

DMiller likes this.
  4. hvy 1ton

hvy 1ton Senior Member

I put this in another thread, but just in case here it is again. I don't have a graph for just diesel, but bloomberg said last week that east coast diesel inventory was at it's lowest level since they started tracking it in the 90s. Love's and Pilot have both sent out notices to fleet customers saying they might have diesel shortages in east coast states.
    [​IMG]

DMiller likes this.
  5. cosmaar1

cosmaar1 Senior Member

Fuel prices are crazy nowadays. I don’t know how anybody can afford to use heavy machinery on a Regular basis. Me filling up my 5 gallon diesel can every 2 weeks for 27 bucks is bad enough. Funny thing is I called about off-road fuel about two weeks ago at a local station…. It’s about the same price as on-road. How is that possible!???

DMiller likes this.
  6. KSSS

KSSS Senior Member

excavation
    I have noticed the same thing here. That is some BS.

DMiller likes this.
  7. suladas

suladas Senior Member

It's really expensive but in the total scope of a job fuel is a pretty small part at least for me. On a average basement even if I burn 75 gallons, talking like an extra $250 for fuel compared to before things went stupid. It's much worse that everything else has went up too, but raising prices about 10% took care of it. But i'm happy I still have a huge supply of SDR pipe and water line from before prices went up, so I am charging based on current high prices but I didn't pay near that for it.

That happened here too, they took off $12 cents a liter for road tax to help ease prices but offroad fuel got 9 cents off before, now it's exactly the same price.

DMiller likes this.
  8. Mike L

Mike L Senior Member

Self employed field mechanic
    I’ve got to either raise my rate or add a fuel surcharge but I don’t see me staying home.

muddog1975 and DMiller like this.
  9. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

We'll all have to raise our rates but if things get worse the customers may not be able to afford to pay and then we will all be setting at home maybe more than we like.

John Shipp, Spud_Monkey and DMiller like this.
  10. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Kinda Retired
    Current boss is adding fuel surcharge, notified three important clients it was coming where they stated were going to shop around, he stated is their prerogative and good luck as to that.

muddog1975 and Spud_Monkey like this.
  11. CM1995

CM1995 Administrator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    These ridiculously high fuel prices are going to weed out some of the "bubba and a backhoes" in my area that have come along over the last several years ago. On the flip side the cheap project owners will get what they pay for using these cut rate contractors.

Local tree guy buys a 314 excavator and a kommie 31 dozer and all of the sudden he's a site work contractor. Passed by one of his jobs that involved demo'ing an old house, some clearing and grading. The rear of the 2 acre site had a cut of 3-4' with a valley in the center with a 10' fill in the front.

The soft debris from the house was hauled off for the most part, the trees were pilled in the valley where they were burnt and everything else was pushed in the draw then covered up. This is 2 acres of residential property on a newly constructed 4 lane road.

Lowest bid is not always the cheapest cost.:cool:

cosmaar1 and DMiller like this.
  12. JD955SC

JD955SC Senior Member

they are high if they think that y’all are the only ones raising prices or adding fuel surcharges. Everybody will be.

CM1995 likes this.
  13. suladas

suladas Senior Member

Trucking just went from $85/hr to $95/hr I was not surprised at all and had already started quoting higher, though with my mark up I think hitting that $100/hr threshold makes it seem like it's so much more money. Even at $95 there is no money in it, fuel alone has went up enough to eat up that entire $10/hr increase. Bin prices still unchanged though, but I guess when you charge $175/hr for a tandem rolloff, a bit extra in fuel doesn't matter because you're still making a lot.

DMiller likes this.
  14. CM1995

CM1995 Administrator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    Dump truck company we use went from $90 to $112.50 with their fuel charge that fluctuates. Steep rise but they are not killing it at $112 per hour by any means. I have started bidding jobs at the higher rate plus our mark up, it's all we can do.

DMiller and bam1968 like this.
  15. Don.S

Don.S Senior Member

When i have a heavy day in the semi hauling loads i can drink almost 400 liters of fuel in a day. Diesel is $2.50 a liter so i can drink down almost $1000 of fuel a day. Only reason my boss has trucks is cause out jobs are hard to schedule having some one else hauling. He sure does not make any money from them.

DMiller likes this.
  16. 673moto

673moto Well-Known Member

Slacker
    Trucking is over $125/hr here.... fuel still below $7/gallon... this week.
    I’ve raised my prices a bit(I’m still below the regional average as I’m a “new guy”) but calls coming in have slowed to a trickle.
    might be a rough summer

DMiller likes this.
  17. suladas

suladas Senior Member

Yea at $95/hr not making any money, I bet trucks are burning $40/hr in fuel easy, a driver is making at least $25/hr. Not a whole lot left. Especially when he had a driver get a $3k overweight fine on a 75% road ban, takes a lot of hours to pay for tickets like that.

At least in the whole scheme of a job the price for excavation really hasn't went up much here, I would say like 10% i've went up, if it's demolition I really haven't raised prices at all.

DMiller likes this.
  18. suladas

suladas Senior Member

It's weird how it varies, I haven't been this busy since 2019, currently booked solid for nearly the next month. Granted with just myself it doesn't take much of a job to keep me busy for a week so really not that many jobs. Getting lots of plans for people building massive houses though, like 2M+ which is really surprising. I also find i'm getting less pushback on prices and that's after raising excavation about 10%.

DMiller likes this.
  19. 77Ford

77Ford Well-Known Member

Fuel here in Missouri had been hovering around 5.29 but saw a couple places drop to 4.99 over the weekend, I have no clue what's up with that.

DMiller likes this.
  20. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

There are some stations that have been reliably cheap suddenly mid-expensive and other places with the same branding just down the road that suddenly became the lowest price. Things definitely shaking around a bit.

John C. and DMiller like this.