• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How hard is it to fix a trans leak on a case 680e

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
I generally do all my own work but but there's a good shop here and I left my backhoe there ( maybe 8 or 10 yrs ago) while I went on a holiday.Told the owner to install a new rear engine seal and torc seal. One was leaking I can't remember which. Any way when I picked it up he had only done one and within a few wks. it was leaking worst then ever so he took it apart and replace the other at his expense. He wasn't to happy but I'd given him both seals & paid him good to replace both.

bigrich954rr

Thank you guys so much I’m going to give ebackhoe parts a call in the morning to order up the parts I might do the rear main seal as I got it all apart so far. But not sure yet

Tinkerer

If you are going to remove the flywheel punch mark the crankshaft flange and flywheel before removal, it will maintain the factory balance of them.
If you are working alone, bolt a bracket on the flex plate holes and use a lifting device. Those flywheels are so heavy you will never get it remounted without a severe safety risk.

bigrich954rr

Ok thank you I plan on removing the flywheel tonight and replacing the seal. The seal just came in mail today .

Thinking I might drop the oil pan and reseal that as I’ll be so close to it

bigrich954rr

Yea I try to update all the people that Helped me cause with out you guys It would have had a lot harder time trying to figured out the issues. It would have been months

Hopefully the next guy that has the same issues this help. Just been Running behind on this. Chasing cows/ went back to school/ new baby / work/ then fixing the backhoe

Tinkerer

You are one busy guy Rich !
I forgot to mention that if you do lift the flywheel like I described run the strap or chain up and in front of the hydraulic tank. It isn't a straight up lift on the flywheel but once you get it lined up with crankshaft flange you will be able to get it on. Use a long punch or something similar to insert through a bolt hole in the FW and crankshaft bolt hole.