• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How good are backhoe attachments?

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Can you back up to continue a trench simply by raising the outriggers and pushing back with the backhoe? I remember years ago when I was a kid seeing a guy with a Ditchwitch do that.

No, not with my machine. The parking brake has to be locked, if not the hoe will drag you towards your work. Also, hydraulic drive machines don't like to be pushed/pulled.

Ed

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
I would classify an attachment backhoe on any skid steer as a huge waste of money IMHO.........You can get a really nice and much more useful mini ex. for the same dollars spent...No one wants them and once you do buy one and figure out that what I am saying is true, you couldn't give the darn thing away. I have one sitting in my storage building for the last two years and find it to have been, one of my worse purchases ever.

cdm123

I have a 911 bobcat hoe that i used on a 825 bobcat for years.I was a litle heavey for that size skisteer but a very good diger, to move i just turned the seat and pushed the stearing levers.It is still siting in the yard but now that i have an ex i never use it but it was a very capable tool.

Rfdengine2

I've had a 709 backhoe attachment w/ my s175 for around 10 yrs now. It has payed for itself many times. A lot of times i need both a skid steer and a excavator to dig on a small job. I can haul this combination in one trip instead of having to drag two machines around. Granted it's not an excavator but Its plenty stout and does everything I need. It's all in what you'll be doing with it.

john1066

We had one years ago on a bobcat 943 ( before the mini was popular). Wasn't all that bad definitely beat a shovel pretty good for digging under slab plumbing where you couldn't fit a big backhoe

apetad

Occupation
Compact Construction Equipment Sales
One of our customers has this available. I'll bet you can locate a decent older excavator that will dig better than the attachment. http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9192353&dlr=1&pcid=882766

Here is the neatest skid steer backhoe attachment that I know of, because the controls are operated from inside the skid steer cab. You can move the machine around AND operate the attachment from the machine operators seat. Don't have to continually climb in and out. It's expensive, approx $14,000 installed http://products.ceattachments.com/C...matrix?cmd=catNavigate2&OP=filter&catKey=601#

PDG X

Occupation
Owner Operator
Here is the neatest skid steer backhoe attachment that I know of, because the controls are operated from inside the skid steer cab. You can move the machine around AND operate the attachment from the machine operators seat. Don't have to continually climb in and out. It's expensive, approx $14,000 installed http://products.ceattachments.com/C...matrix?cmd=catNavigate2&OP=filter&catKey=601#[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm - This looks just like the BH30 I have from Cat. They stopped building it a few years ago - maybe CE Attach picked it up ??
Have had it for 5-6 years and it definitely has it's place. Have used it more than I thought I ever would when I can't get the full backhoe close enough.
With the controls folding into the cab it is very useful. Lift the stabs and you reposition the SSL pretty quickly. Some will always complain that visibility is an issue, but I have not found it too difficult. Move the seat all the way to the front, and raise it. If working around utilities, I always have a spotter anyway.
It is much more powerful than it looks and have even used it to dig and pull root balls from 10-12' pine trees in a yard where I wasn't allowed to bring the Backhoe. Though I'd try it, and impressed myself.
It may not replace a miniHex, but it sure gets there when the full size machine can't.
Have dug footings, dug out rotted pole building posts for replacements, water line repairs, gas line installs, etc.
Use 12, 18 and 24" buckets on it which are either 301 or 302 (?) MHE size.
Only thing that would make it better would be the ability to wire it to the Cat so the SSL joysticks could be used just like a backhoe.

TriHonu

I've got a Bradco 609 on a Bobcat 763. Technically a little heavy for the 763. When traveling I crowd the stick and boom all the way in and swing it all the way to one side to keep the weight as close to the front axle as possible.

This hoe has enough power to shove the loader around. To minimize the movement, keep the stabilizers with just enough ground pressure keeping all 4 wheels on the ground or just enough to level the hoe. In tough soils it helps to get the trench down to depth and then fill the bucket by working the vertical. This puts the forces trying to pull the backhoe straight down. Contrast this with filling the bucket working the horizontal which will try to pull the loader along the grade.

The problem with the in-cab controls is you don't have line-of-sight down hole. The attachments with a seat up high gives you a superior view of the work zone.

As for moving the loader, my 763 has a "Press To Operate" button on the left dash. I can reach it while sitting on the backhoe attachment. I just press the button grab the steering levers behind my back and relocate the loader. Press the "Press To Operate" button again to lock the parking brake and continue digging. I never leave the backhoe seat.

Spoil placement is the biggest disadvantage of these attachments. You just have to plan more carefully and be prepared to drop the hoe and rearrange the piles with your bucket.

Porcupine29

Banned
a bobcat backhoe attachment can only mount with certain bobcat machines, yes most skid steers can hook on with the quick attach but they will not mount stiff to the frame. bradco backhoe attachment have different combinations with different machine and it is a long list. machines like john deere and case had backhoe made to fit only JD or case.

cdm123

a bobcat backhoe attachment can only mount with certain bobcat machines, yes most skid steers can hook on with the quick attach but they will not mount stiff to the frame. bradco backhoe attachment have different combinations with different machine and it is a long list. machines like john deere and case had backhoe made to fit only JD or case.

Not a problem for a competent welder.

td25c

Attachments

• 100_2786.jpg
    100_2786.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 534