• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How far will you go?

BrianHay

Thanks lowboy. Truck is paid for and we only have few payments left on the trailer. We did rent a house for a while but it proved to be a wast of money. Even when we had time off we were never there always had other places to be. So we just rented a storage bay for our stuff. I don't change companies very often, usualy stay with one for several years. But they are large companies, some have well over 250 pieces of iron with several jobs going at once hundreds of miles apart. So I never know were I will be from one day to the next, we get bounced around a lot. I kinda like it like that, hard to get bored. Ever hear that Jimmy Buffet tune Changes In Latitude? lol fits purty good. Trying to settle in one place now though. I want to be close to my kids. We are working on getting our own machine to work as an owner operator in this area. Getting a little stir ccrazy already though. It is taking longer then we hoped to get it done and my days are spent with my face in the laptop getting our business plan exactly the way the lenders want to see it and taking a few courses to help us when we get started. I'm not much of an office guy and I'm dying to move some dirt again. There is some iron working on hiway 3 just a couple of miles from me and I have been awful tempted to go over there. But I know if I do my own stuff will get put on hold and I won't get it done.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Because there is getting to be so much more requirements for paperwork you need to figure out how to get paid for that time.

Dwan

Dwan - that is very good advice and I agree 100%. Your time is valuable when you are working for a client - either moving dirt, preparing a bid or researching the mountains of code requirements. Architects and Engineers get paid a kings ransom for researching codes/requirements and contrarctors should be paid the same for there time if this is what they are performing. Although the public will pay an Arch/Eng. to do this they seem to balk at paying a contractor.:beatsme

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Because there is getting to be so much more requirements for paperwork you need to figure out how to get paid for that time.

Dwan

Computer issues - it posted twice.

rcn11thacr

driving time

I am inclined to say I will go a good distance away since I need as much seat time as possible to elevate my dozer driving skills. Of course I can see the need for a limit but for the most part Im willing to go the distance with my rig to get the job.