• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How do you transport your 45-50 size mini

jrtraderny

http://www.drivingrules.net/cdl/needaCDL.htm
DO YOU NEED A COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE?

You need a CDL if you operate any of the following vehicles.

. • All single vehicles with a manufacturer's weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more

. • All trailers with a manufacturer's weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more, if the gross weight rating of the combined vehicle(s) is 26,001 pounds or more

. • All vehicles designed to transport 16 or more persons (including the driver). (Private, church, buses.)

• All vehicles that carry placarded amounts of hazardous materials (see following section on exemptions).

Occasional drivers are also required to apply for a CDL and all appropriate endorsements. For example: Mechanics or truck sales people who test drive on a public roadway

These vehicles are divided into three classes, A, B, and C. To determine what class of CDL you need, follow the links to the questions.

A higher class CDL allows you to drive vehicles in any of the lower classes provided you have the correct endorsements.

jr

Cretebaby

http://www.drivingrules.net/cdl/needaCDL.htm
DO YOU NEED A COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE?

You need a CDL if you operate any of the following vehicles.

. • All single vehicles with a manufacturer's weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more

. • All trailers with a manufacturer's weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more, if the gross weight rating of the combined vehicle(s) is 26,001 pounds or more

. • All vehicles designed to transport 16 or more persons (including the driver). (Private, church, buses.)

• All vehicles that carry placarded amounts of hazardous materials (see following section on exemptions).

Occasional drivers are also required to apply for a CDL and all appropriate endorsements. For example: Mechanics or truck sales people who test drive on a public roadway

These vehicles are divided into three classes, A, B, and C. To determine what class of CDL you need, follow the links to the questions.

A higher class CDL allows you to drive vehicles in any of the lower classes provided you have the correct endorsements.

jr

Or how about this.

Attachments

• CDL.jpg
    CDL.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 732

dogboneshd

I go by this rule..........and I do have my CDL.

Single truck = < 26,001
Trailer = <10,001

That's what mine says I'm legal for on the back. Oh and the scoot :D

dogboneshd

What it says is what it means. Seems like people try to make their own interpretations. Just ask 3 different people and see what answers you get

dogboneshd

So tell me Cretebaby what makes you the foremost authority? Are you the only person that can post on the forum? My posted reply is because people with no CDL are breaking the law because they want to interpret that law to suit themselves. If you don't like what I have to say .....turn the page smart ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
Another helpful post. :rolleyes:

I am kinda thinking the whole thread's pretty helpfull :rolleyes:.....I wasnt real clear on the OP question anyway's so i'll just answer the thread title :confused:

We haul ours on a trailer!

pj

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
Creeeeeeete! lol

but how did you know it was me and not someother CaT useing my name haha

Back on topic......What was the topic again? :confused:

pj

Cretebaby

So tell me Cretebaby what makes you the foremost authority? Are you the only person that can post on the forum? My posted reply is because people with no CDL are breaking the law because they want to interpret that law to suit themselves. If you don't like what I have to say .....turn the page smart ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Listen hear Buddy

You posted some vague info, I asked you to clarifty it, then you got smart.

ianoz

Hi ,As an australian reading this and not knowing much about the laws of there .What is the big drama about having or getting a CDL? As a couple of aussies have said on this thread we just get a truck license to drive the trucks we own .ian.

Cretebaby

Hi ,As an australian reading this and not knowing much about the laws of there .What is the big drama about having or getting a CDL? As a couple of aussies have said on this thread we just get a truck license to drive the trucks we own .ian.

Some think you need a CDL class A to pull a trailer over 10k, which is true if the combination is over 26k, but not solely on the fact that the trailer weights over 10k.

JDOFMEMI

Boy, did this thread take a turn.
How about getting a trailer rated to haul the mini, and remember this, with a 6800# mini that leaves only 3199# of trailer, tie downs, blocking, and whatever else untill you are at the 10K limit. Most trailers I have been around that are rated at 10K weigh in at over 3K. Why not get a good heavy duty one that weighs closer to 4K empty but will be rated at 14 to 18K. Then you have enough capacity and BRAKES to safely haul the load, and whatever else gets thrown on board.
Then take the day out of your schedule and get the proper CDL and run legit.

Or cut corners, skirt the law, and cross your fingers that nothing bad ever happens.

I will agree, it is hard to compete with those that skirt the law when you are running legit, but I can sleep at night.

JDOFMEMI

Some think you need a CDL class A to pull a trailer over 10k, which is true if the combination is over 26k, but not solely on the fact that the trailer weights over 10k.

Cretebaby

YES, if your trailer is 10K or more, you are required to have a CDL. Read the above posts again, you can see it right there. If the combination vehicle is over 26K, OR if the trailer is over 10K

So, 19,500 truck, like a F-550, pulling a 7,000 trailer, and you need a CDL

Any truck pulling a 10K trailer and you need a CDL

Cretebaby

Cretebaby

YES, if your trailer is 10K or more, you are required to have a CDL. Read the above posts again, you can see it right there. If the combination vehicle is over 26K, OR if the trailer is over 10K

So, 19,500 truck, like a F-550, pulling a 7,000 trailer, and you need a CDL

Any truck pulling a 10K trailer and you need a CDL

That may be the case in CA but not for the rest of us.

Last edited:

rpctsv

A CDL is a pain in the ass!Physicials,random **** tests and a high fee in KS.