• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How do you bind the really big stuff?

Freightrain

Can imagine the RR don't want that stuff falling off along the way and no one would know until things got really ugly.

Dualie

AT a certain point i start looking at it not so much as securing the cargo to the trailer as much as securing the trailer to the cargo.

Theres comes a point in time when shat hits the fan that if the load wants off the trailer come hell or high water somethings going to give. I have 5/8" certified Crosby chains and binders that are rated for 13,000Lbs S.W.L.L. Their heavy as hell but they give me warm fuzzy peace of mind.

For articulated equipment i try and run all four extreme corners X-ed at A 30 deg angle front and back left to right then One chain on each side of the center pivot pin (more to keep DOT happy then actually secure anything) Then one chain and binder over the bucket.

On rigid equipment i like to Just run the four corners strait front to back. When i can i try and use just one chain with two binders. You have to leave slack in the middle for this to be a legal tie down. If one binder is loose the On there still has to maintain its tension. (hope that makes sense)

When i haul Hydraulic rough terrain cranes i like to use a spring chain binder like this http://www.thecrosbygroup.com/productcatalog/body_222.htm to secure the load block of the crane from swinging.

Haling man lifts i always throw a Ratchet strap over the basket or platform. the big 100+ foot man lifts get the basket set on cribbing and a spring binder with a chain.

All other attachments get a chain over them for securement. that means a back hoe gets one on both ends plus four holding the chassis down.

Personally i HATE ratchet binders. HATE THEM! i do keep a couple that live at the bottom of the chain well in the Murray but im sure their rusted shut by now. my trusty B**ch bar an i go way back. I have secured a couple hundred thousand loads with that thing through the years. its practically a prized possession.

Wakko_Evo

WOW thats all i can say!! THANK YOU sooo much guys... you guys been a great help! I got a trip from Queens, NY to Atlantic city tomorrow and was figuring out how to tie down an excavator but i learned a lot just by reading here from you guys! Am a rookie at this, i got another experience driver who's driving with me(another lowboy+machine) but u never know i rather get the right info. from you guys and then see what he has to say and then judge between both methods. I will post pictures if i make it back and forth.

Wakko_Evo

Here you go just like i promised! Enjoy
IMG_0414.jpg

dpwallace

Occupation
lowboy operator
i use 4 1/2 inch chains and a 3/8 over the boom and never hada problem with cat 345 and pc400

rollon

What is the 80% wll rear and 50% wll front tie down deal? Thought it was half the machine weight. I use 1/2" grade 100 chain cross the 4 corners, one on the turret and one over the boom. So 6 total on a 53ton hoe. Not enough? Thanks.

Shenandoah

What is the 80% wll rear and 50% wll front tie down deal? Thought it was half the machine weight.

The regs mention:

1. 0.8 g deceleration in the forward direction;
2. 0.5 g acceleration in the rearward direction; and
3. 0.5 g acceleration in a lateral direction.

Is that what you're referring to?

Dualie

In your setup the chain binders are probably your limiting factor. I had to look long and hard for binders that were up to the task of being used on 3/8" grade 80 chain

rollon

In your setup the chain binders are probably your limiting factor. I had to look long and hard for binders that were up to the task of being used on 3/8" grade 80 chain

Have the right binders/chains. Haven't HH for quite a few years and most of it was off road logging outfit. Now in CA hauling in town.:-(

Shenandoah

rollon,

From the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's Cargo Securement Rules...

Performance Criteria

FMCSA has adopted new performance requirements concerning deceleration in the forward direction, and acceleration in the rearward and lateral directions, that cargo securement systems must withstand. Deceleration is the rate at which the speed of the vehicle decreases when the brakes are applied, and acceleration is the rate at which the speed of the vehicle increases in the lateral direction or sideways (while the vehicle is turning), or in the rearward direction (when the vehicle is being driven in reverse and makes contact with a loading dock). Acceleration and deceleration values are commonly reported as a proportion of the acceleration due to gravity (g). This acceleration is about 9.8 meters/second/second (32.2 feet/second/second), which means that the velocity of an object dropped from a high elevation increases by approximately 9.8 meters/second (32.2 feet/second) each second it falls. FMCSA requires that cargo securement systems be capable of withstanding the forces associated with following three deceleration/accelerations, applied separately:
1. 0.8 g deceleration in the forward direction;
2. 0.5 g acceleration in the rearward direction; and
3. 0.5 g acceleration in a lateral direction.

These values were chosen based on researchers' analysis of studies concerning commercial motor vehicle performance. The analysis indicated that the highest deceleration likely for an empty or lightly loaded vehicle with an antilock brake system, all brakes properly adjusted, and warmed to provide optimal braking performance, is in the range of 0.8-0.85 g. However, a typical loaded vehicle would not be expected to achieve a deceleration greater than 0.6 g on a dry road. The typical lateral acceleration while driving in a curve or on a ramp at the posted advisory speed is in the range 0.05-0.17 g. Loaded vehicles with a high center of gravity roll over at a lateral acceleration above 0.35 g. Lightly loaded vehicles, or heavily loaded vehicles with a lower center of gravity, may withstand lateral acceleration forces greater than 0.5 g.

Generally, motor carriers are not required to conduct testing of cargo securement systems to determine compliance with the performance requirements. The new rules explicitly state that cargo immobilized or secured in accordance with the general securement rules, or the commodity-specific rules, are considered to meet the performance criteria.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/truck/vehicle/cs-policy.htm