• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How do they make dozer tracks and shoes

Master Link

Occupation
Heavy Equipment repair
Shoe profile is first lesson. If you stand a shoe up on one end and look down at it you are looking at its profile. One certain profile may apply to 15-20 different models or more. How they get the profile is done a the steel mill. The have a rolling die in the shape of the profile and they take a section of red hot steel and roll it back and forth until it take the shape of the profile. These profiles are then shipped to the shoe manufactures in 20' sections.

Shoe manufacturing second lesson. Once the order is received they take the correct profile and cut it to the length of shoe needed. Some manufactures use a saw to cut them and some use a shear. It's usually easy to tell how it was done by looking at the top edge of the grouser. The sheared ones have a little deformation on the edge while the saw cut do not. Once they cut the shoe to the length they need they are then taken to a punching press. The press will have a "mold" installed that will have the correct bolt hole pattern needed to match the track chain. The bolt holes are punched along with the reliefs on the leading edge. Of course the shoe is positioned in the correct location each time it's punched otherwise the holes would be offset to one side or the other.

Shoe heat treating. The shoes are then taken to the heat treating oven. This is usually 50-70 feet long and has a rolling bed. They are place in there individually laying on the bed. Basic heat treating methods are applied during this process. Once this is done they are taken to a press and straightened if needed as sometime they get a little bowed. Some manufactures paint them and some ship them out without paint.

I mentioned about that one profile will apply to many models. The front to back width of the shoe determines what machine it will work on. Example is D6R. The track chain pitch is 8" or 203mm. Usually the shoes for this size pitch are about 230mm. So every machine that uses a 203 pitch chain will use this profile.

That is it for the shoe. I'll come back and do the links tomorrow.

James

Master Link

Occupation
Heavy Equipment repair
You know that as a fact? I have been to a shoe manufacture in Italy and two in China and there was not induction at those shops for shoes. Roller and Idler shells and sprockets yes.

Sanya_Promstal

Occupation
Industrialist
Fact.
1. The surface is more wear resistant.
2. The core remains moist.
Therefore, it does not burst, but after wear of the hardened layer, the shoe quickly ends.

Master Link

Occupation
Heavy Equipment repair
What you stated is basic fact on heat treating/hardening whatever you want to call it but you still did not answer my question. Can you name one shoe manufacture that uses induction for shoes?

I deal with a shoe company in Italy called Duferdofin. I asked them if they knew of any manufacture that used the induction method and they did not. Duferdofin along with Berco through harden their shoes by using a furnace.

While it's possible to induction harden just about anything apparently track shoes is not one of them for whatever reason.

Sanya_Promstal

Occupation
Industrialist
That is how it is tempered on one of the works in Russia. I know the real production, that's why I wrote the differences between the methods. The Duferdofin and Corus profiles lend themselves well to induction hardening. Dear, we will not argue)))