• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How do I best warm up a diesel for cab heat?

Delmer

Check where the heater hoses connect to the engine, sometimes there will be valves there. But if the heat works great after an hour of work, but doesn't do anything for fifteen minutes when cold, that seems normal to me.

emmett518

I turned over my manure pile to exercise the hoe. Temp got to 143 F while digging at 1200 rpms.

Delmer

How long? if it was a half an hour at 50 degrees outside, then I'd think it should be a lot closer to 180, but hard to tell with little info.

terex herder

I suspect your thermostat is stuck open. Does the top radiator hose get warm before the engine gets up to temperature? Top hose should stay cold if not up to temperature.

emmett518

Not yet. It has been frigid here, but I am going to pop by my Deere dealer to buy the right stat and gasket.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Biggest issue for Equipment warm up was mentioned and pretty well ignored, NOT Operator Comfort but hydraulics warmup so the machine CAN function properly, should be a pressure bypass on the hydraulics so the system will actually heat itself up with cold thick oil, takes time for that to develop enough heat to not drive engine coolant temp in the hydraulics heat exchanger into the basement.

emmett518

What temp should hydraulics be before working? And do you need to measure hyd temps or is engine oil or coolant temp a decent variable to watch?

AzIron

Biggest issue for Equipment warm up was mentioned and pretty well ignored, NOT Operator Comfort but hydraulics warmup so the machine CAN function properly, should be a pressure bypass on the hydraulics so the system will actually heat itself up with cold thick oil, takes time for that to develop enough heat to not drive engine coolant temp in the hydraulics heat exchanger into the basement.

Glad someone noticed

colson04

We start them in November and shut them off in April. Unless we pull them inside.

Ford had a promo video for the 6.7L diesel when it was new, like 12 years ago. They shipped a fleet of F-350s with the 6.7L up to Prudhoe Bay for cold weather testing because they would get so many hours in such a short time span. That was the first time I had ever heard about literally running the trucks 24/7 and only shutting then down for service work.

emmett518

The Deere dealer mentioned that there was indeed a change made in the thermostat design. She also mentioned there were two, and both should be replaced at the same time.
This could also have to do with a possibly failed viscous fan drive that is not slipping when engine is cold. Deere wants huge bucks for that. Might pull mine, and see if a Borg Warner dealer can match it.

Delmer

failed viscous fan drive that is not slipping when engine is cold.

Heavy equipment had solid drive fans for decades, and worked fine, the viscous fan drive is not a problem unless it sends the fan through the radiator, if the bearing is fine, leave it.

Truck Shop

Same with a hydraulic power winch. I always pay extra out then power in before putting it to work.