• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How do I best warm up a diesel for cab heat?

emmett518

I have a Deere 310 L backhoe. What is the best way to warm the engine to get cab heat? Deere tells me to idle the engine at 1200 RPMs for two minutes before using it, and go easy on heavy digging. But yesterday, it seemed to take 20 minutes of idling to warm up the cab.
Should I use the block heater? It just throw a space heater in the cab for five minutes?

Starting is not an issue. Just heat.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Is the engine reaching operating temperature? The 4045 engines are prone to thermostat failures. The legs on the thermostat break and the core of the thermostat falls out and leaves a wide open path for coolant. There is a bulletin on the subject and a change of part number to a different thermostat (even though it looks identical).

JBI

Agree with block heater. You can plug it into an outlet on a timer so that it doesn't run all night. Try an hour, then more or less as needed. You shouldn't need any other type of heater if you can get the coolant up to temp before you ever start it.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Is the engine reaching operating temperature? The 4045 engines are prone to thermostat failures. The legs on the thermostat break and the core of the thermostat falls out and leaves a wide open path for coolant. There is a bulletin on the subject and a change of part number to a different thermostat (even though it looks identical).
Block heater, space heater, or whatever you go for - you should check the thermostat operation first. 20 minutes before you get heat in the cab is far too long.

emmett518

What is operating temp?

and is changing the thermostat an easy job, or do you have to take the engine apart to remove the broken part?

skyking1

thermostat job is more or less the same for all engines, with model specific details.
Drain enough coolant to do the job.
remove upper hose and housing.
scrape and prep for new gasket.
install new t-stat. do make sure to pay attention to orientation.
Put it back together.
Enjoy.

Tinkerer

If you want heat in the cab as soon as turn on the heater, install a tank style coolant heater.
It will circulate the coolant through the block and heater core. If it is installed correctly.
They can be used in conjunction with a timer to lower the electrical consumption.
I have one in my T/L/B and it was the best thing I ever installed to get it started in cold weather.

AzIron

If it's got the heat exchanger for the hydraulic system then your coolant doesn't get warm till the hydraulics do

Shimmy1

20 minutes before you get heat in the cab is far too long.
Beg to differ. We just had between -25 and -32°F for 2 days. Managed to get the loader tractor started this morning after running the propane Knipco for 45 min, and two battery chargers. The tractor was in a building. PLUGGED IN. It took 20 minutes this morning for it to warm up enough so the computer would let it off idle. Took another 10 at 1200 rpm for it to move. Tractor is a 2019 CaseIH MX 180 Magnum with 1200 hours.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
What should operating temperature be?

It is a 180* thermostat, so the engine should run near that (when working, not idling, see comment below). I would rule out thermostat issues first. Just work the machine hard, it should reach approximately 180*. Usually when there are broken thermostats the engine won't go over 100*.

Most Deere machines have cooling systems that have an over-capacity so they exchange heat quickly, sometimes making cab heat difficult at idle. Due to the capacity it's important to note that operator usage is an important factor in cab heat performance as well. Engines left at low idle between periodic use or routinely used at low idle will not produce the amount of heat that may be desired resulting in a low cab heat complaint. You should increase their idle speed if the heat output is less than desired as heat production is proportionate to engine RPM and load on the engine.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
If you want heat in the cab as soon as turn on the heater, install a tank style coolant heater.
It will circulate the coolant through the block and heater core. If it is installed correctly.
They can be used in conjunction with a timer to lower the electrical consumption.
I have one in my T/L/B and it was the best thing I ever installed to get it started in cold weather.

Exactly what I did on my rollback trucks for several years. Start the heater an hour before the workday and it substantially shortens the warmup time of the engine and cab heat. Engines start easy too when extremely cold. I always ran 1500W units on 240VAC but my trucks ran dedicated routes so never a problem.

These:
http://www.engineblockheater.net/#

Delmer

Yes, use the block heater, and an oil filled radiator in the cab if you want it warm.

Two minutes warms the engine and hydraulic pump a little, then work it to warm faster. Going easy on heavy work for 10-30 minutes is so you don't break brittle steel.

Check the temp of the head after running it half an hour the next time it's cold, and then again after idling for five minutes. It shouldn't cool much if the thermostat is working. Post results.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Does it have heater core valves? If so are they all the way open?

emmett518

Whenever I feel like complaining about -3 F temps in Mass, I remember that I could live in Canada, Alaska, Montana, Idaho, or the Dakotas.