• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hough H80B source for parts

Minnesota Eric

Does that leak air all the time or only when you have brakes applied with left brake peddle?

Hey kshansen, it is leaking all the time. It is mounted atop of the transmission on the lefthand side, the leak is from directly underneath (where I can hear it, but not see it) and is leaking so excessively that my parking brake kicked on once I got rolling. I wedged in an old leather glove and it stopped leaking so off I went. This may be coincidental, but after a six-mile road drive into town, as I was pulling into my gas station in the land of vacationers (meaning super busy) I was rolling forward, stomping on the brakes, and I shifted the tranny into reverse to avoid beaning a God bless 'em who didn't see the 12' tall giant, yellow machine pulling into the diesel pump. I noticed the valve was leaking right after that.

The machine is still at the site with all the trees in the last video so I don't have photos of the valve yet.

Welder Dave

Time to get a slip tank for the truck. Might save some money if you can get off road diesel. Maybe just an O-ring or something blew. Don't think it's a coincidence after you put it in reverse. How fast were you rolling?

Minnesota Eric

My rear steering pins and bushings are worn. Since OEM parts are drying up, I thought I'd share for the benefit of others what sizes things need to be machined to make new ones. Stock part numbers are 158773H1 for the bushings and the pin's part number is 8790344C1. I believe the front steering pins and bushings share the same inner and outer diameter but are longer.

The rear pins pins are 2.000" W by 6.000" long. I'm going with 4130 because I need to weld flags to the top of the pins to hold them in place.

The bushings are made from manganese-bronze (which is slightly magnetic) so we're using 863 high-strength bearing bronze tube stock. The bushings are 2.000" long and we're machining a 0.005 clearance on the I.D. for 2.005" I.D. The OEM bushings have an O.D of 2.375" and we're machining an interference fit of 0.001" to fit in the steering cylinder eyelets so the bushings have an I.D. of 2.376" thereby requiring to be thrown into a freezer to install.

If you can find them, you might be able to get away with a 51mm x 70mm generic bushing remembering that as you do so, all the tolerances are cumulative and you'll get a clunk in the steering pretty easy with 0.015 tolerance on all four corners.

Minnesota Eric

Time to get a slip tank for the truck. Might save some money if you can get off road diesel. Maybe just an O-ring or something blew. Don't think it's a coincidence after you put it in reverse. How fast were you rolling?

Turns out that on the shifter valve for the transmission, there is a little, brass, pneumatic plunger valve that under air pressure kicks out 1" and apparently holds the transmission in gear with air supplied by one of the two treadle brake pedals. Near as I can tell (because I haven't fixed it yet), when the treadle pedal is hit, the pedal bleeds air pressure to the valve, and a return spring in the valve pushes the piston back, knocking the transmission into neutral. Anyway, that little air valve is used in everything from Hough, International, Dresser, and Komatsu, but is now difficult to find. I found one but don't have the right air fitting yet to connect it all up.

Minnesota Eric

It works the other way. Air pressure knocks the transmission out of gear.

This will get interesting fast since there appears to be air pressure on that valve all the time. If valve works the way you're suggesting, then my leftmost treadle pedal is screwing up. I guess I'll find out when I install the valve and the new pins and bushings onto the rear of the steering cylinders, start the machine up and try to shift it into gear!

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Should be simple to disconnect the line that is putting air into the valve on the transmission and cap it off to test to see if transmission now works.

Maybe you have the left foot brake valve connected wrong? I know there are many ports on those valve and getting one hose connected to the wrong port can cause major headaches!

Minnesota Eric

My Hough Pay Loader got put to work this summer doing odd jobs that went largely unrecorded. Now with the arrival of fall, my Hough came home and since I do not have a heated shop, I've scrambled to catch up with overdue maintenance as well as to continue to replace damaged or missing parts. I'm hoping that this spring I can tackle popping the engine cover off and going after several soft hydraulic hoses, fixing a weird, aftermarket coolant heater leak, getting the shutter-stat on the radiator working again for cold weather, as well as reconstructing the entire rear wiring harness.