• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hough H30

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
It's got all the signs of being the work of a disgruntled Australian, doesn't it?!

Hmmm? Now who would fit that discription?:rolleyes:

Nobody we know. I'm sure you're thinking of Squizzy, but I assure you, I sent him to the bush a couple of weeks ago to get re-gruntled, and he's fine now, really... :yup

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Hey, I'm watching you guys!:cool: It's nothing like Vegemite..it looks more like a can full of neglect to me:rolleyes: Jeff, a filter will generally get like that if the machine is left unused for long periods.

And I got all Un-Gruntled again on the weekend. I got one of those cheapie air compressors awhile back, just for blowing out/cleaning stuff and the odd tyre...well it seized solid...broke my 16" cut off saw...and everthing else I looked at needed fixing:Banghead Spent the whole weekend working on equipment when I should have been relaxing with my family:mad:

Jeff D.

And I got all Un-Gruntled again on the weekend. I got one of those cheapie air compressors awhile back, just for blowing out/cleaning stuff and the odd tyre...well it seized solid...
Was it one of those "Oil-less" air compressors? It wouldn't suprise me if it was.

I'm not entirely sold on that whole idea of a compressor not needing any oil.:spaz :rolleyes:

Dusty

Charter Member
looke like wax buildup do u run red fuel?
{the above statement is to make me look really smart or a total tool}

Jeff D.

Well I don't know if this will make look like a total tool, but it's actually a hydraulic oil filter.:wink2

But thanks for the response. Any and all ideas are appreciated.:thumbsup

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Can hydraulic oil get microbe growth problems like diesel fuel can?:beatsme

That's a good question, and one that I don't know the answer to, but I'll take a guess.

I'd guess that the oil itself could get growth, however, the systems are dis-similar enough that it doesn't happen.

Fuel tanks are subject to being emptied and refilled much more often, which leads to the possibility of contamination entering on any given day. We've discussed keeping the tank full overnight, because of the condensation that occurs from moisture in the air. You don't have that in hydraulic systems. They get filled, and hopefully stay filled. (And you don't see sump bowls on hydraulic systems to collect the water, do you?)

Also, hydraulic oils gets circulated through the system, and heated up when the machine is run. It doesn't take too long to run the entire capacity of the system through the filter, and the heat probably isn't too healthy for the little critters. Fuel, on the other hand, sits in the tank and only gets drained away at a couple gallons per hour, and while the warmth of the machine running may warm it up, it doesn't ever really get hot.

Those two things would, I think, discourage the start of algae growth. If it can't get started, it becomes less likely to grow to be a problem.

(At least that's what I'd guess.)

Jeff D.

Can hydraulic oil get microbe growth problems like diesel fuel can?:beatsme
I've never heard of it either, but it might be possible.

I think water does have to be present to get the growth started, although I did have about 1 teaspoon full of water in the drain plug cavity.

I've the suspicion that the crud on the strainer element may be a hardened paste of concrete dust/fluid mix. The environment that the loader worked in had concrete dust in the air continuously, and the dust would settle on everything in the area. Some may have been able to enter the system through the tank breather after many years of being in that type of environment.

I've cleaned the tank thoroughly now, and ran a magnet through the complete interior of the tank, with no metal present on the magnet. I don't imagine concrete dust could've been good for the system, if that's what it is, but am hoping the filter did it's job and pump/valve wear isn't excessive. The hydraulics work well, and will easily build to cut-out pressure on the gauge(1500psi), even at idle. My main reason for pulling it down was the excessive pump noise cause by cavitation from lack of adequate fluid flowing through the strainer filter when the fluid was cold/thick. It's now:thumbsup with it clean, even when cold.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I've never heard of it either, but it might be possible.

I think water does have to be present to get the growth started, although I did have about 1 teaspoon full of water in the drain plug cavity.

Jeff, Cladosporium Resinae or as my mate used to call it "Gladis Moncrieff Spider Venom" grows on a water fuel interface...not actually in the fuel. And botanically it has been re-named by some rocket scientist and I can't remember what its called now:confused:

You can read more at the fuel doctors:

http://www.fueldoctors.com/fuel.htm

I have never seen it in oil but we used to sample for "Biologicals"??

I believe you have very scientifically and accuratley done a self diagnosis of your filter...its just crud that has had significant moisture present for a long time.

srs_mn

Occupation
retired dirt guy
filter plugging

Jeff, I can't really tell from the picture, but your description of your filter being plugged with "belly button lint', leads me to believe that the stuff is actually hydraulic cylinder packing material. I have seen this before, and it usually comes from very worn/old piston packing and/or seals. It really doesn't seem to hurt anything, other than plugging your filters, as long as your hydraulics are still working ok.
srs

Jeff D.

Jeff, I can't really tell from the picture, but your description of your filter being plugged with "belly button lint', leads me to believe that the stuff is actually hydraulic cylinder packing material. I have seen this before, and it usually comes from very worn/old piston packing and/or seals.
I should've mentioned this when I made the "belly button lint" comment, regarding the filter.

Before I washed it in a can of gas the oily/fibery "belly button" stuff was on much of the filter, but was washed away by the gasoline. It likely was just what you said, old cylinder packing.:yup

The picture I posted was after that was removed.
Electra_Glide said:
Remember, we're talking about Jeff's ancient equipment here, so who knows...
:bouncegri This is true Joe, but you forgot the part I like best....................it's "paid for" ancient equipment.

And as for you Mr. Squizzy, all I can say is you're a man of many hats. Which is not a bad thing.:)

Jeff D.

Here's another question for you guys. One of the flexible brake lines was getting pretty bad looking due to excessive flexing in one spot. I've decided to replace it.

When I removed it, it had more course threads than I'm accustomed to seeing on a brake line, and the hose said 3/16" 2 wire. It had male threaded ends with flares, on swivels. It looks like a common hydraulic line, rather than a flexible brake line on other hydraulic brake systems I've worked on. I checked the other flexible lines and they are the same.

Is it possible it uses standard hydaulic hose for the brake sysytem?:beatsme

I assume it uses DOT3 brake fluid. It smelled like brake fluid, and had a very thin viscosity. The brake cylinder looks like a standard manuel brake cylinder found on older cars.

I've no manuals or info to go on when working on this machine........yet.

If hydaulic hose will work I'll just have the hydaulic shop make me the new hoses.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I should've mentioned this when I made the "belly button lint" comment, regarding the filter.

Before I washed it in a can of gas the oily/fibery "belly button" stuff was on much of the filter, but was washed away by the gasoline. It likely was just what you said, old cylinder packing.

Did you choose this method becasue of your personal expeience in dealing with belly button lint? :cool2

:bouncegri

Jeff D.

Ok you two, I'm steering this thing back on course.:yup

In my search for the brake line I learned that my line was not a common hydraulic line. Apparently brake lines have a reverse taper to the ends, which I didn't even realize when I looked at it.

The hydraulic shop took one look and knew right away it was a brake line, and that he couldn't make one since he did not have the reverse fittings.

So I learned something new, and I got one that was close from Napa, and adapted it too fit.:thumbsup

And Digger, my belly button lint problem is easily solved by putting a wire wheel in the cordless drill, and going after it with that. Whatever's left over I blow out with the air compressor.

It's tough on the belly hair though.:wink2