• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hot weather- can't couple wetlines

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
LoL, you're probably right.

This is the type of couplers that are typically used on wet lines for lowboys and such. Again, I don't work with this type of stuff, I was kinda hoping someone with experience with this type of problem on trailer wet line connections would jump in here.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
2 things that might work.
1. lift the gate with pry bar an inch or so when hooking up. this should reduce any pressure buildup and allow the QC to open on the trailer side.
2. install a "T" and a valve, open to outside air, in line. open just before hookup to release pressure. Just make sure it is closed before operating lift gate or you will have a mess to clean up. Make sure valve is rated for the pressure you are using.

trainwreck

Stucchi couplers are something i would NEVER put on anything i own. we use them on excavator lines at work and are always having trouble with them leaking and the guts coming apart and then they get stuck together very badly... just my .02

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Stucchi couplers are something i would NEVER put on anything i own. we use them on excavator lines at work and are always having trouble with them leaking and the guts coming apart and then they get stuck together very badly... just my .02

trainwreck,
I think I said "Parker and others make these style couplers as well".

I'm not promoting Stucchi. Just trying to help RobVG with his problem. If you have a problem with Stucchi, then I suggest you have it out with them personally and not on this forum. This forum is a haven for reference, not a personal soapbox. BTW, are you using a hyd hammer and having problems with the couplers?

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
Would it be any help to paint the exposed hoses white to reduce the heat absorbed from the sun?:beatsme

trainwreck

some places around here have a hose cover made from what looks like fire hose that is light colored, that might work well.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
we are not using a hammer. most of the time we run a clam shell bucket setup. something like pictured in the link below.
http://www.cwsindustries.com/products/excavator-powerclam-grapples.aspx#

well i am trying to give him my opinon of those coulpers. so is it not ok to voice our opinon???????????

I didn't say that, please voice your opinion. ;)
I'm just pointing out that the premise of your post was that there is nothing good about Stucchi couplers. You said you would never put them on anything you own, and that you have used them on excavators and "always" have problems with them. I didn't intend for you to keep your opinion to yourself, on the contrary, I'm suggesting that from the problems you describe having that you contact Stucchi, I'm sure they would be interested to hear this. We have installed both Parker and Stucchi on the attachments we sell, just depends on which company desires to give us the best price at the moment. I don't recall a customer calling and reporting the same difficulties that you have experienced. I mentioned using a hammer because that's one sure way to destroy these type couplers. The shock of the oil while hammering makes them come apart inside just like you described, sounds like your not doing that though. As long as you've found a coupler that is working for ya, life is good. :)

trainwreck

the owner of the company i work for ike the Stucchi setup so we still use them and relace them often. our local dealer says they have a new model or redesin or something like that. so maybe all our trouble will be a thig of the past.

we run them mostly on 300 and 400 size excavators. i have put 3 sets of them on this summer.

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
Well, I went to the Parker store today and was told this is a common problem- especailly with attachments.

They recommend (and sell) Stucchi couplers and demonstrated a set hooked up to a hand pump. At 4000 psi, they were easy to put together. They were the threaded sleeve type. Dirt could be a problem.

I'd love to give them a try but at $450 per truck and trailer (two lines) I'll find another solution.

The idea of a light colored hose covering is definetly worth a try. I'm not sure if the heat is also coming from the frame and there is exposed hose in the "A" section of the tounge. Still worth a try though- cheap if it works.

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
our local dealer says they have a new model or redesin or something like that. so maybe all our trouble will be a thing of the past.

Wouldn't that be sweet! :cool:

I have a feeling your problems may very well be related to the work you do and attachments that you have to use. Of course, I have no idea about your actual operation, but take the clam bucket. Being what it is, I assume the clam is pretty much constantly being opened and closed, the auxilliary circuit is constantly starting and stopping oil flow through the lines and couplers. Unlike an ex with a thumb that only gets used to occasionally grab something, then it takes a rest while the bucket does some work. The constant cycling of the clam may be working the life out of the couplers. Hmmm. Let's hope you guys find a workable solution. ;)

I'd love to give them a try but at $450 per truck and trailer (two lines) I'll find another solution.

Have you tried to, maybe, get lucky and find some on E-bay? :cool2

RobVG

Occupation
No, they weren't quite like those. I have a quote on my desk and can post the part monday.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
No, they weren't quite like those. I have a quote on my desk and can post the part monday.

OK bro. That is a pretty hefty price tag you mentioned for couplers. You might want to look at the wing style couplers. They are pretty much a standard type of coupling for lowboys and hyd dumps that have wetlines. And it's claimed that they can be coupled under pressure. Again, I don't necessarily work with this kind of stuff, I was hoping we'd get a truck driver that uses wetlines in here to tell us how well these type of couplers work. They seem to be more affordable than what you were quoted.

RobVG

Occupation
Hmm, I took another look at those and 'per set', those are cheaper than the Parker 60 series.

RobVG

Occupation
trainwreck, what size wetlines are on your lowboys? Do your couplers come straight out the back of the trucks?

On our dumptrucks, the male couplers point strait down from under the box. Our pups have a 1" single wire line that's really stiff. You have to wrestle the hose to get it to couple. I think there might be a problem with the "wingnut" style and cross threading .

Red Bank

Rob, I installed those style of couplers that trainwreck posted on our static burst machine, the guys could not get the original couplers to couple when the hoses laid out in the hot sun, or after the machine had run. We have not had any problems with cross threading which, if it was a problem, I am sure my guys could have figured out a way to do it. The reason we went with the wingnut style is because we were told that is what is used on wet lines. I had some issues with the guys overtightening the fittings and had to replace some o rings in the fittings, but after I instructed them that the hammer is used to loosen and not tighten we have not had any more problems. As far as dirt- they make dust caps that you can use when the fittings are uncoupled. Also they make rebuild kits, so once you buy it, you can service it. Evidently we impressed the manufacturer of our static burst machine because they came out and are in the process of using them on new machines.