• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hot-in-place paving.

cat345bl

Occupation
Trucking Industry
Has anyone heard of this method of paving,its called hot-in-place recycling? It when these special engineered pavers and recyclers, recycle the existing the pavement,and make it into new asphault windrow then a special shuttle paver collects the windrowed asphault and makes the new road surface.they have a mini excavator arm with a scraper to uncover manholes and drains. I heard you save half the money as it would to repave a existing road by regular paving methods.Does anybody ever see this method of paving in use or what roads they have paved.I rember seeing them in philly a year ago.I know that Enviro-Pave used to make them but there out of bussiness.

company
http://www.hippaving.com/

how it works,you should watch the videos,more can been seen if you click on play list
http://www.hippaving.com/PROCESS.html

there equipment
http://www.hippaving.com/EQUIPMENT.html

surfer-joe

New Mexico tried it back in 1995 on I-25 a few miles north of Albuquerque. It's a very slow method of recycling and consumes huge amounts of natural gas or propane. The recycled surface seems smooth and may be superior to asphalt laid by pavers and 10-12 yard end dumps, as the aggregate seems to blend better without the larger stuff segregating out to form rough spots.

I haven't seen the method used anywhere else.

Furthur

new york state thruway is letting a job with 8 miles of it being done.
northbound 8 is heater scarifying & then a novachip micropave
southbound 8 is nova only. i guess it will be a control & experiment.
from a blacktoppers standpoint i have to agree im not a fan.
checkout a company in brewster ny called highway rehab corp, they seem to be a player.

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
Seems like the hot in place market always stays in the game. I was with D Crupi in the mid and late 80s, they taught me how to mill. I also spent some time with HIP.

Heavy Highway

We got our Novachip mix design approved this week but we don't lay it ourselves. This is not for the in place recycling, however. On the way to one of our jobs, we ran through a contractor's project that was laying some yesterday. Its.....different, heh.

It seems like we're a little slow to come around down here but for us, we're trying to stay up with it and be prepared even if that's limited to keeping friendly relations with paving contractors who are equipped to handle it.

Its something I would certainly expect to see more of in the future.

bean

Last I had heard the HIP part of crupi moved down to california and is still around.

mike25

Were trying it out this year is saskatchewan. we are doing a job of 75 lane kilometers to start with, but I think they are still in the process of adding another job or 2.