• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hot D@mn, I bought a Truck!

Soodude

I know in Michigan that a Tandem dump truck can legally carry 50k lbs as long as it has the wide steers. 16k per rear axle and 18k for the front steer but from what I was looking at in our load limits book a Triaxle can only carry 54400 lbs. since the lift axle comes into play you can only put 13k per rear axle and only 15400 lbs on the front steer. I don't remember how much that lift axle and framing weigh but I was wondering if you would be better off getting rid of the drop axle and running it as a tandem instead? Would be a little cheaper on your plating costs, less cost for replacing lift tires. I know there are quite a few guys around here that do that since running a triaxle is only a couple dollars more per hour than a tandem. Just my .02 cents if it makes any sense LOL

tireman

Floats have a 11300lbs -/+ per tire rating. Check the rating on the front tires, to see if they can carry the weight

There are three different sizes of "floats", each with a different load capacity.There's the 385(15), 425(16.5) and 445(18).

Soodude

You buying a new steering box? I would check around for a decent place that rebuilds them.... I know there is a place in Newberry Michigan that rebuilds them, Neal's truk parts. They rebuild our spring packs and our trannies for us and have nice prices

Dig_Texas

I found out today that the truck will need a steering gear box, a u joint, and a pitman arm. I had noticed there was some play in the steering but didn't think it was a too badl. Well, this is one of those cases where an education can be expensive thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeT0i7ii54k

I just watched your you tube video....you have a very good attitude about maint. on your new truck. Good luck with the repair!

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
You buying a new steering box? I would check around for a decent place that rebuilds them.... I know there is a place in Newberry Michigan that rebuilds them, Neal's truk parts. They rebuild our spring packs and our trannies for us and have nice prices

I agree. Rebuilds are acceptable for a steering box and a host of other components. Usually about half the price of brand new and in spec to orginal manufacturer design.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Hmmmmmm ! .....looked at the vid ...gotta go at the moment to Fire Practice night, but I think I will suggest a couple of things first before you jump into the river .......check if it's a ross steering box and if you can see a model # on it and I will fill you in a bit later .....ttfn ....gk