• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Horizontal Grinders. Who, What, How?

Lee Brown

I am with Cal-Line Equipment in California we’re a Bandit dealer been around all types grinder for 30 years just would say for production and fuel and speed Horizontal grinders are more Efficient. Here in California with all the fires we need to get track units in an material out.

I know this is an old thread, but it sparked some curiosity in me.

Are the small tow behind machines similar to 12in chippers a joke?
Recently a Vermeer HG200 came up for sale locally, and I liked the idea for a small scale towable machine that was self feeding with a side discharge/belt.

Obviously this isn't even in the same league as the mass grinders you guys are talking about. But does anyone have insight?

walkerv

I know this is an old thread, but it sparked some curiosity in me.

Are the small tow behind machines similar to 12in chippers a joke?
Recently a Vermeer HG200 came up for sale locally, and I liked the idea for a small scale towable machine that was self feeding with a side discharge/belt.

Obviously this isn't even in the same league as the mass grinders you guys are talking about. But does anyone have insight?
Where i work now we have a 20 inch morbark horizontal knife drum chipper , it does not like dry wood, green fresh cut and clean does the best . I watched a video on the model you mentioned . Really the question is will it suit your needs , as it surely isnt a power house from what i saw on you tube . Also what will be done with the wood waste as it will be in a pile on the ground. Vs rotary knife mills that blow it into a truck .

Where i work now we have a 20 inch morbark horizontal knife drum chipper , it does not like dry wood, green fresh cut and clean does the best . I watched a video on the model you mentioned . Really the question is will it suit your needs , as it surely isnt a power house from what i saw on you tube . Also what will be done with the wood waste as it will be in a pile on the ground. Vs rotary knife mills that blow it into a truck .
I agree that it isn't a powerhouse, definitely my thoughts when I saw the videos too.

I guess my use case would be small scale lot clearing that eventually gets loaded out. I've used a chipper in the past to do this job and feeding it is a pain. I'm not typically blowing it into the back of a truck like a tree service, just stockpiling like the big boys and loading out.

Do you happen to know the HP on the 20in Morbark you were talking about?

walkerv

I agree that it isn't a powerhouse, definitely my thoughts when I saw the videos too.

I guess my use case would be small scale lot clearing that eventually gets loaded out. I've used a chipper in the past to do this job and feeding it is a pain. I'm not typically blowing it into the back of a truck like a tree service, just stockpiling like the big boys and loading out.

Its sitting in the yard i will grab the model number and take a peek at it tommrrow , its a pretty good sized unit he have 1 dump truck and one road tractor wothba pintle hook to move it to jobs

walkerv

20230511_155047.jpg20230511_155109.jpg
Cant get to the engine information easily a quick search on morbark site should give the engine options in it , sorry for the delay in response got alot of real life stuff going pluss work .

Cant get to the engine information easily a quick search on morbark site should give the engine options in it , sorry for the delay in response got alot of real life stuff going pluss work .

Awesome! Looks like 325hp for the towable is what I gather from a search. That's a big girl, you mentioned it bogs in green wood?

walkerv

Awesome! Looks like 325hp for the towable is what I gather from a search. That's a big girl, you mentioned it bogs in green wood?
It will burn blades on dry wood, it likes fresh cut wood, it has an autofeed sensing system .cleaner the better like not dragging trees thru dirt .