1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Homestead Machine Recommendations Needed

Discussion in 'Compact Track/Multi Terrain Loaders' started by koselig, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Coastal

Coastal Senior Member

Oh I missed this post... I see you've already figured it out. :p

2. ThreeCW

ThreeCW Well-Known Member

koselig,
    There is an interesting discussion that gets into comparing tracked units vs wheeled units in the snow. Since one of your primary uses is snow removal, it is worth a read.
    https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/skid-steer-in-snow.70022/

It may be difficult to get both “good winter traction for plowing hills” and “low ground pressure in the summer for wet ground conditions” all in one machine.

I too was considering a tracked unit when I recently upgraded my skid steer but decided against it after reading about the higher repair and maintenance cost of a tracked unit and the questionable winter traction even when used “winter” tracks. Admittedly, I don’t have soft summer ground conditions to deal with, so my choice of a “farm / hobby” machine was easier.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  3. elyislander

elyislander New Member

This is a great thread to read... thanks for all of the insights. I am just a few hours away in Minnesota, just down I35 near Pine City and (was) also in almost the same situation as the OP although I don't really have inclines to deal with... I do have substantial low areas that are frequently soggy. But other than that the snow removal as well as general forestry and construction use is what I am doing.

So with that I ended up finding a used Cat 257B3 with 2400 hrs from a twin cities landscaper. Have had the machine about a month now, so far so good, appears well maintained and undercarriages and tracks are nearly new. Only issue with it is that it doesnt look all that great - the paint sucks, it is fairly rusty from being used as the landscaper's snow mover. I'll probably put 50 hrs a year on the machine so really hoping I can cover all the maintenance on it myself...Cat sure is proud of their parts and service based on looking at what it costs.