• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Homemade Tools!

RBMcCloskey

Occupation
Heavy Construction Contractor
Very interesting, could you post additional pictures showing the details of your invention?

DIYDAVE

I just uses a pipe, that fits over the wrench, in question. Have also cut/welded wrenches to fit the job. Harbor freight and auction wrenches find a second life, thataway...:D

td25c

Last edited:

typ4

Occupation
Equipment mechanic for a small company.
Show us your hand crafted tools! This is my wrench torque intensifier.

I like this, and we just have aquired a brand new broken breaker bar the boss's nephew made for us.

Truck Shop

One attachment I made and a $130.00 jack to go with it. It's used every day several times a day. And yes you still have to load the drum on it but that's easy.
It's handled hundreds and hundreds of drums plus it's great for lifting drive lines into place.

Truck Shop008.jpg009.jpg

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
One attachment I made and a $130.00 jack to go with it. It's used every day several times a day. And yes you still have to load the drum on it but that's easy.
It's handled hundreds and hundreds of drums plus it's great for lifting drive lines into place.

Truck ShopView attachment 160735View attachment 160737

I like it. I made one myself, not quite as fancy but it saves my back. Had to do 4 inboard drums last week on a low flatbed trailer and decided right then and there I was done trying to lift those things by hand. Also built a rolling fork to handle tires. My back is thanking me still.

td25c

Looks like a handy item repowerguy !

Equipment manufacturers will come fourth with multiple ways to challenge the wrench .

Old school wrench bender builds a tool to deal with it , I love it ! :cool:

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Repower,

Like the offset starter socket, if I was still pulling wrenches for a living I'd be making one of them up, actually might need two as I have come across a couple metric 12 point head bolts holding starters on. Just off enough so a 5/8 would not fit.

What I have used is this type socket. Two problems are the off-set can be too much in tight areas and the drive size being 3/8 limits the torque you can apply:
crows.png

Both of those problems are addressed by your tool design!

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Handy anchor hook for those whom always try to go where they shouldn't.

No picture handy and its to cold to walk out to the jeep to take one. My heavy crowbar is about 4 ft long with an eye welded in the middle and another eye on welded on one end. The non eye end is sharpened. When I get stuck in a snowdrift on a frozen lake I attach my winch cable to the center eye, attach a piece of rope to the end, and drop the bar thru a drilled hole in the ice. After pulling myself out of the snowdrift I simple release some cable and pull my bar back up thru the hole endwise. While chasing coyotes I have used the same bar to extract myself out in the N.D. prairie by driving it up to the center eye into the ground at a slight angle away from the stuck vehicle and then tieing the top eye back to another stake at ground level. It takes a lot to pull it out with the winch hooked to the eye at ground level, so it works most of the time and beats walking. Not smart enough to turn around when it just looks bad. I usually need to try it.
EDIT, maybe this in in the wrong place. Probably not really a tool of the trade. Mods, feel free to move it if it shouldn't be in this thread.

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
Guys,thanks for the kind words, the purpose was to show what we have made to get a particularly ugly job done and out the door. We are in this together so lets open up our specialty tool drawer and post some pics. I'll watch out for the safety guy and call out if I see him around, he doesn't understand what we have to do at times.;)

crane operator

If you look close in center of the picture you will see a vise grip with a piece of all thread welded to it, plus a piece of shaft on the all thread. Its a combination vise grip and slide hammer. I can't remember what I was doing when I built it, but it worked like a charm. The slide hammer part doesn't slide real nice with the all thread, but I didn't have a piece of smooth rod when I made it. I was in a hurry, and made the tool to do the job- I think that's what we're looking for isn't it?

Please excuse the mess of my toolbox, I love seeing pictures of those meticulous mechanics- Snap on boxes with all the tools in racks, and nice and shiny like they've never been used, but my box isn't one of those boxes. Most of my tools have some some combination of grease, weld splatter, and gasket maker on them (I get that stuff on everything). Most of them are blessed also with hammer and pry marks.
20161016_093024.jpg

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Looks like you had good intentions of tidying up your tools, I see you have a nice new set of socket bars still in the wrapping :D

crane operator

Yes, good intentions is as far as it has gotten tradesman, it's to sort out the mess that my socket drawer is. Sometimes I wish I had 5 each of 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 3/4, and 15/16 sockets, because they are the ones I'm always looking for.